Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$30 one-way fares (DCA to LIT, JAN, BHM, PNS, VPS & TLH)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by CMK10:19001695

Hey man, if I can drive from Durham, North Carolina to Washington D.C. you can certainly drive from Philadelphia. Or take one of many Amtrak trains.
Can you pass by Blacksburg and pick me up?? Grabbed 2 tix for Florida!!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by sbbutler93
Can't do same-day turns for the double miles promo
I snagged one of these today and was excited about the fare alone, but... what am I not getting about the terms? On http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...nt=lp_us_21094 (sorry if I'm not posting correctly) it seemed to indicate that connections didn't count for double miles, not a return flight on the same day?

"Customers must book July 7 - August 5 for travel July 7 – September 30, 2012 to earn double miles on itineraries starting or ending at Reagan National Airport (DCA). Bonus is awarded on consecutive flights, as long as the origin or destination is DCA. Customers with itineraries connecting through Reagan National Airport (DCA) are not eligible for bonus miles. Any itinerary with a Reagan National Airport (DCA) arrival followed by a Reagan National Airport (DCA) departure the same day is considered a connection. For example, if you fly from Washington, DC (DCA) to Phoenix to San Diego, you’ll earn bonus miles on both flights. But if you fly from Norfolk to Washington, DC (DCA) to San Diego, you will not earn bonus miles. Bonus is earned on base flight miles only on flights operated by US Airways or US Airways Express; miles do not count toward Preferred status. US Airways will award bonus miles one to two weeks after travel has been completed. All Dividend Miles terms and conditions apply."

I'm fine, either way, but would appreciate any clarification from flyertalk veterans. Thanks, all.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by Plusflyer
According to the fine print of the double miles promo, you cannot do same-day turn X-DCA-X as it will be considered a connection but you can do DCA-X-DCA.
Originally Posted by notallwhowander
I snagged one of these today and was excited about the fare alone, but... what am I not getting about the terms? On http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...nt=lp_us_21094 (sorry if I'm not posting correctly) it seemed to indicate that connections didn't count for double miles, not a return flight on the same day?

"Customers must book July 7 - August 5 for travel July 7 – September 30, 2012 to earn double miles on itineraries starting or ending at Reagan National Airport (DCA). Bonus is awarded on consecutive flights, as long as the origin or destination is DCA. Customers with itineraries connecting through Reagan National Airport (DCA) are not eligible for bonus miles. Any itinerary with a Reagan National Airport (DCA) arrival followed by a Reagan National Airport (DCA) departure the same day is considered a connection. For example, if you fly from Washington, DC (DCA) to Phoenix to San Diego, you’ll earn bonus miles on both flights. But if you fly from Norfolk to Washington, DC (DCA) to San Diego, you will not earn bonus miles. Bonus is earned on base flight miles only on flights operated by US Airways or US Airways Express; miles do not count toward Preferred status. US Airways will award bonus miles one to two weeks after travel has been completed. All Dividend Miles terms and conditions apply."

I'm fine, either way, but would appreciate any clarification from flyertalk veterans. Thanks, all.
Sorry guys, you are right. Was still asleep this morning :P
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by krpjr
Where are these places and what is there to do ?
Where: in the southeast, looks like Gulf state mostly.

What to do: never having spend more than an overnight, several are beach cities.

Jim
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Where: in the southeast, looks like Gulf state mostly.

What to do: never having spend more than an overnight, several are beach cities.

Jim
Here's my sole purpose of going to Pensacola:

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Today's fare special is DCA-YOW/YYZ/YUL for $130 all in, roundtrip. I booked one to YUL myself for labour day!

http://www.usairways.com/en-us/specials/dcfaresale.html
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LowlySpartan
Yeah, I'd totally do it just for the miles (since I'm going to be just shy of *G without this), but can't seem to find anything. Also, anything about same day turns or crediting to another FFP? Didn't see anything in fine print.
Why couldn't you credit to another FFP? You won't get 2x miles, but isn't this just a fare sale?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by drewguy:19007963

Why couldn't you credit to another FFP? You won't get 2x miles, but isn't this just a fare sale?
I guess he meant credit to another program and get the double miles. It is a R fare.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Today's deal---a steal IMO. $130 r/t DCA-SAN. With 2x miles it's over 9k miles for $130.

https://twitter.com/USAirways/status/228904591473905664
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
Scored 2 DCA-SAN same day turn for $130 ea - will work while the mrs. knits - all good and dinner at 5 guys upon return - life's good and she requals for silver and I continue climbing towards CP requal.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Does anyone know of a clean RSS feed that would alert me to these fare sales? I would have pounced on any one of the three $30 sales but didn't find out about them until mere minutes/hours afterwards.

US Airways announces these on its Facebook wall, but Facebook has shut down the ability to view Wall posts via RSS, and "subscribing" to something there doesn't guarantee that it'll show in the News Feed anyways -- much less in a timely manner, owing to Facebook's mystical prioritization algorithm.

I can easily find an RSS for US's Twitter feed and/or for a #30days tag, but both end up being cluttered with dozens (seems like hundreds) of customer service complaints and meaningless retweets.

Since the fares are only up for a few hours, I doubt that alerts via an outside service would update in time.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paytonc
Does anyone know of a clean RSS feed that would alert me to these fare sales? I would have pounced on any one of the three $30 sales but didn't find out about them until mere minutes/hours afterwards.

US Airways announces these on its Facebook wall, but Facebook has shut down the ability to view Wall posts via RSS, and "subscribing" to something there doesn't guarantee that it'll show in the News Feed anyways -- much less in a timely manner, owing to Facebook's mystical prioritization algorithm.

I can easily find an RSS for US's Twitter feed and/or for a #30days tag, but both end up being cluttered with dozens (seems like hundreds) of customer service complaints and meaningless retweets.

Since the fares are only up for a few hours, I doubt that alerts via an outside service would update in time.
What I do---twitter mobile updates sent via text. You only get general tweets and not any @replies to anyone. Get it practically the instant it is tweeted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.