Search

Redeem miles or pay for ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Redeem miles or pay for ticket

Hello all,

Happy Holidays!!

I have a trip coming up in January and will be traveling from MSY - ORD. Dates of travel are leaving 17th and returning on 21st. When I priced the ticket, I see that AA and United have nonstop fares for $326.

If I do use my DM and redeem I'd be using up 20,000 miles (its actually 25,000, since I have the US Air MC, i'd get the 5000 mile discount) and essentially pay $35 in taxes + fees.

One reason why i'd like to save my miles is there might be a possibility of traveling to Oz later June, so I'm sort of trying to save my miles for that trip.

Which option would you choose?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Save your miles... work towards an international redemption ... would be my advice

There is nothing quite like an international Business Award. And First Class? Unforgettable!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by miffSC
Save your miles... work towards an international redemption ... would be my advice

There is nothing quite like an international Business Award. And First Class? Unforgettable!
Sorry miffSC, just want to use your quote with some clarifications:

There is nothing quite like an international Business Award. And First Class on a non-US airline? Unforgettable!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
This is a very very commonly asked question, in a variety of contexts.

The simple answer is that redemptions should get at least 1.5 cents per mile, and you're in that range. At the bottom of it, but in it.

The slightly more complex answer is to ask what you expect to be able to do with your points, and whether paying for the flight will have any impact on gaining elite status (sounds like it won't).

I agree that overseas business/first class is a good use of points (Mrs. RedTop and I flew to Paris biz last summer, and she's going to Europe in first next summer) but if you're not interested in going there, then there's no point in saving the points for it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:05 am

F/BC East coast to China - immensely satisfying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.