Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Hey, I booked a AA codeshare US Metal flight though Philly and have a 3 hr connection before my flight to LGA. I know are multiple flights before mine that I'd like to standby/moveup on. Is this possible?

Last year, I remember not being able to use moveup on a AA codeshare/US Metal flight. However, I think it was because I had a Mixed AA/US flight (e.g, my first flight was AA metal and connecting was US metal, AA code). Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bbmatt
Hey, I booked a AA codeshare US Metal flight though Philly and have a 3 hr connection before my flight to LGA. I know are multiple flights before mine that I'd like to standby/moveup on. Is this possible?

Last year, I remember not being able to use moveup on a AA codeshare/US Metal flight. However, I think it was because I had a Mixed AA/US flight (e.g, my first flight was AA metal and connecting was US metal, AA code). Can anyone shed some light on this?
It wasn't the mixed itinerary that fouled you up. I did a Same Day Standby on a AA code/metal flight YYZ-LGA, then did a MoveUp on a US code/flight LGA-BOS on arrival, on the same day and PNR a month ago. The fact that both flights were prime was why it worked without issue.

I don't know if MoveUp is available on codeshare flights, but am interested in the answer as I find myself booking them more due to price in the leadup to 10/17.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
It wasn't the mixed itinerary that fouled you up. I did a Same Day Standby on a AA code/metal flight YYZ-LGA, then did a MoveUp on a US code/flight LGA-BOS on arrival, on the same day and PNR a month ago. The fact that both flights were prime was why it worked without issue.

I don't know if MoveUp is available on codeshare flights, but am interested in the answer as I find myself booking them more due to price in the leadup to 10/17.
hm... damnit, so i may not even be able to moveup this time with a purely US metal ressy but AA coded... ugh i wish i booked it the other way
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I've been able to move up recently on AA-marketed/ticked US-operated flights. Technically I was on the standby list, it wasn't a MoveUp with an immediately confirmed seat, but the agents didn't seem to have any complications due to the codeshare.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
I've been able to move up recently on AA-marketed/ticked US-operated flights. Technically I was on the standby list, it wasn't a MoveUp with an immediately confirmed seat, but the agents didn't seem to have any complications due to the codeshare.
Thanks! For some reason my credit card was declined on the original AA fare and my ticket has been pending for a bit, good thing tho, cuz I was able to book the same US air coded flight and it was cheaper too!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA: PLT/US: Preferred Gold
An odd question, I realize: I'm booked on two flights, ROC-PHL-SEA. I do not have a confirmed first-class seat, but I am number one on the upgrade list. I don't have much going on and am considering taking an earlier flight to PHL to get some work done in the AC (there are no earlier PHL-SEA flights). If I MoveUp to the earlier PHL flight, will my upgrade status (or possible confirmed F seat) stand?

(Might be a moot point, as F only had two seats open when I booked the flight, but I figured I'd ask.)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by AgentMunroe
An odd question, I realize: I'm booked on two flights, ROC-PHL-SEA. I do not have a confirmed first-class seat, but I am number one on the upgrade list. I don't have much going on and am considering taking an earlier flight to PHL to get some work done in the AC (there are no earlier PHL-SEA flights). If I MoveUp to the earlier PHL flight, will my upgrade status (or possible confirmed F seat) stand?

(Might be a moot point, as F only had two seats open when I booked the flight, but I figured I'd ask.)
Your place on the upgrade list on the new flight (just as with the existing flight) is based upon your status (EXP, PLT, or GLD) and the number of miles you've flown in the past 12 months. There's no way of knowing the priority of others on the new flight until you switch, so you could be the same or a lower place. Keep in mind that your place even on the existing upgrade list can change at any time as those with higher status check in, buy remaining seats (if available), and/or switch to the flight.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Are the Move Up rules still the same whether you're on a revenue flight or award ticket? I booked an award ticket on the DCA to BOS shuttle and the only space left was on the 8pm flight. There's always seats on the hourly flights so I was hoping I could move to one of the late afternoon flights.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by robbierob03
Are the Move Up rules still the same whether you're on a revenue flight or award ticket? I booked an award ticket on the DCA to BOS shuttle and the only space left was on the 8pm flight. There's always seats on the hourly flights so I was hoping I could move to one of the late afternoon flights.
Yes.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT
Do I have to go to the departing airport to moveup or can it be a different airport? There is a small regional airport that has US near me, but I'm flying out of a larger airport on US that is about 90 minutes away.

Any way I can go to the small regional airport in the AM to move up for my flight out of another aiport?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
No - you must be at the airport that you are departing from to MoveUp for each segment you want to change.

So, if you are going XXX-YYY-ZZZ and want to MoveUp the YYY-ZZZ segment you can only do that at YYY, not at XXX.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
How many passengers on a pnr does an elite get to waive the 75 dollar fee for?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
More likely to get seat on earlier flight with paid first class ticket?

I'm planning to buy a ticket for a mid-day flight, but if my work schedule changes, I may need to take the first flight out of the day (between CLT and LGA, which is usually full or even oversold, and full of Preferreds).

If I buy a paid first class ticket for the mid-day flight and want to take the first flight out of the day, will having a paid first class ticket make it easier to get on the earlier flight (compared to buying a coach ticket)?

I am Platinum (50,000 mile level).

Thank you.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Are you asking if you attempt to do the "Move Up" program if your status and the fact that your original ticket fare class is "F" (or "A") moves you up the pecking order?

I'm not sure about the fare class issues, but I have anecdotal evidence on the status issue.

A few months back I was scheduled to fly SAV-CLT-IAD but the CLT-IAD was very delayed: about 3.0 hours. I went to the Admirals Club and asked if I could switch to the CLT-DCA flight that was departing in about 45 minutes. She said the flight was full and that I could not be guaranteed a seat on the flight. She checked the standby list and saw that there were 11 on it. However, because I was a Plat, she added me to the list and I was placed #1 on the list. I did clear it and got home substantially earlier than if I had been stuck with the IAD option.

So, my answer is that you may get ahead of all of the "kettles" and Golds who are standing by. I do NOT know if your fare class trumps other Plats who may be on the standby list.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks. Yes, it would be a "Move Up" or the like.

I always seem to get a seat, even if the flight is full, but just don't want to take any chances this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.