Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Effective Messages:

Now boarding First class, First Class Only, has to be sung

Now boarding Business Class, Business Class only

Now boarding Cattle Class, Cattle Class only

Now Free for all
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
IMO, First class should be zone 1. It seems to confuse some people and agents that they are before zone 1 (even though a first class ticket says zone 1 - it should say zone 0).
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ITRADE
You should see the Priority boarding lane at ORD - utter and complete chaos the other day....
If you think US is chaotic, try UA. Especially internationally. Try boarding in F on a crowded 747 when F, C, GS, 1K, and Platinum are all Zone 1.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Last real widebody I flew on UA during a weekday was a hop from IAD to SFO on a 777. 1/2 the plane must have been 1K. And that was before the merger (I've since done a 763 flight on system integration day (what hell that was, but that flight was only 1/2 full - upgauged from a 752).
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
when I have F and am in row 1, I definitely try to be first in line. When in F but another row, i will wait until F is called then try working my way thru the folks already in the priority line. If I'm face to face with them, i do ask, are you in F? but usually just get an ugly stare. Also have had a couple of occasions when military not in uniform boarded before F. Just said "military" and went on (last time, a young couple.) Good for them and their service. Just another interpretation of what the GA is saying, i guess.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I generally only see what I think are marines that do that (as they don't travel in uniforms like other branches). I've seen them showing the military ID.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec. Plat, Marriott Plat. Premiere, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by iztok
I generally only see what I think are marines that do that (as they don't travel in uniforms like other branches). I've seen them showing the military ID.
I see this too. I fly into OAJ once a month from CLT, and the flight is loaded with Marines heading back to Lejune. What ticks me off is when the GA tells them, "ohhh I'll let you slide this time, but next time you have to be in uniform." That gets me mad...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:23 pm

I am one of the people in first that tends to go to the priority lane (not the regular lane) and queue up when I get there. Why? Why not?

It seems silly that people stand in a huddle 10 feet away and wait until the actual announcement. The reality is everyone standing is queuing up and waiting to run to the line.

Originally Posted by masonuc
The penalty for anyone lining up before their specific zone is called should be death by firing squad. That goes for everyone except military in uniform and people that need special assistance. Why the heck are you lining up to be the first one in FC?
  1. There is limited space in the F/C bins. Almost every flight some of the F/C bags wind up in the first few rows of coach. Flight attendants tend to put their bags in the F/C bins.
  2. There is a separate line for preferred. Military and special assistance are in a different path. Standing in the preferred queue does not interfere.
  3. Gate agents sometimes call F/C and group 1 at the same time. People in the first few rows of coach have no problem putting bags near the back of the F/C bins.

Why do you care? If you don't want to get in line, wait for everyone else and board. To each is own.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by willb66
I see this too. I fly into OAJ once a month from CLT, and the flight is loaded with Marines heading back to Lejune. What ticks me off is when the GA tells them, "ohhh I'll let you slide this time, but next time you have to be in uniform." That gets me mad...
They could travel in dress uniforms (A, B, C, D) but not in utility/battlefield uniform.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:06 pm

One of my biggest pet peeves! Stay out of everyone's way until your group is called. If you are group 1 - AND it says group 1 on your boarding pass, then it's reasonable to get in the line. Still ridiculous - but I can forgive it. I do try to get closer to the front if I'm in Row 1, but since I carry on a reasonable amount of luggage and not everything I own, I can usually fit my bag in even if I'm not first.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I love it when a FC Lard get on and blocks the walkway while they are prepping putting their bags away for the next 5 minutes, with their head turned toward the back of the seat... CLT the other day,while standing there waiting for my seat, by the window. Think the idiot was playing with his computer...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So actually your behavior changed when they introduced Preferred line? I do not have US Club membership (so so other place to spend time at the airport), so I queue up 30 minutes prior to departure, anyway. As in old days...

EDIT - just realized that most of my US flights are point-to-point - people might not be that early at the gate when they connect from other flights...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thphilly
IMO, First class should be zone 1. It seems to confuse some people and agents that they are before zone 1 (even though a first class ticket says zone 1 - it should say zone 0).
Amen to the GA confusion. Last week I paid $89 for a "choice" exit row seat and got zone 1. I dutifully stayed in the hallway and listened to the military, first, preferred member announcements, still waited for zone 1 to be called, and BANG, she called zone 2. I was then at the back of the zone 2 "just about everyone" stampede.

I'm dirt status and have to wait until check-in to be able to buy an exit row.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
It is especially important to follow boarding lane etiquette if you don't have a preferred lane BP. If you have, say, a Group 4 BP you'd want to:

1.) Stand as near to any physical bottle neck you can.
2.) Keep your 6 carry ons *beside* you, not behind you to maximize your lateral blocking capability.
3.) Fully obscure your BP so those with F or preferred BPs can't see you are Group 4 and instead will wait behind you.
4.) Regardless of what the GA calls, move forward as if you intend to board.
5.) As you near the podium, either:
5a.) Stop until your group is called but make sure you are blocking as much access as possible.
5b.) Attempt to board and engage in a lengthy discussion with the GA about boarding groups to delay your fellow passengers as much as possible.
6.) Do not prepare your carry ons in the jetway. The aircraft door is the best place to stop and do this. This is particularly important if you are boarding early and there is a long line behind you.
7.) Rolling bags and meant to be rolled. This is especially important to remember when your rollaboard is wider than the aisle. DO NOT CARRY THESE BAGS DOWN THE AISLE. If you keep trying to roll it down the narrow aisle, the rules of physics will eventually bend and your bag will suddenly fit. Be persistent.
8.) The airplane seat is the most important piece of safety gear on an airplane. If you try to hit as many seats as possible with your bags the airline will be very grateful for the added stress testing prior to flight. This is especially important if someone is already in the seat. The passengers you strike with your bags will subsequently rest assured that their seat will survive an incident after seeing the force you exert against their seat with your carry on.
9.) Do not step in to your row to unpack your carry on bags. Make sure you spread out the items you need for your flight in as many bags and compartments as possible. A good rule is flight_length_in_hours x 10 = total items you need to unback- so a 2 hour flight is 20 and an 8 hour flight is 80. The airlines appreciate this slight delay so they have more time to load bags underneath.
10.) The overhead bins are there for a reason. Make sure you place your bags in the least efficient manner possible. Also, make sure you place your bags 10+ rows ahead of your seats, preferably in F or a bulkhead. This helps with weight and balance and saves the airline fuel.

Some general tips:

1.) If possible, throw a few elbows.
2.) If you have access to children, make sure they are not following any logical line rules and instead encourage them to run about as much as possible.
3.) Try to possess more carryons than you can physically carry at all times.
4.) Do *NOT* eat in the terminal or at home. Instead, purchase food in the terminal and take it on the airplane (provided you met point #3 above). Only purchase food that is not well packaged, is composed mostly of liquids, and has a strong odor.
5.) Try to make as many cell phone calls as possible during this process. It is considered quite rude to talk directly in to your phone or earpiece. Instead, try to use your speakerphone at all times. Ensure these conversations include as many uncomfortable details as possible.
6.) You are highly educated with respect to the airline business, airplane mechanics, and weather. At the first sign of any delay, even if only a few minutes, loudly protest and suggest betters ways of operating. The phrase "I don't see any weather. The hurricane is in Florida" is particularly useful. Make sure you state "I will never fly XYZ" as many times as possible.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 110pgl
I am one of the people in first that tends to go to the priority lane (not the regular lane) and queue up when I get there. Why? Why not?

It seems silly that people stand in a huddle 10 feet away and wait until the actual announcement. The reality is everyone standing is queuing up and waiting to run to the line.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.