Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expensive flights 6/25 - 6/29 through CLT - Any events going on?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum
Expensive flights 6/25 - 6/29 through CLT - Any events going on?

Was just trying to book my weekly flight through from PHX through CLT and on to Richmond/RIC.

For week after next, 6/25 - 6/29, flights are scarce and prices are double normal. But flights through PHL closer to normal.

Charlotte people - is there any big event going on in Charlotte that week driving the prices up? Too early for the Democratic convention...just wondering what's going on...
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EP
I noticed the same thing when trying to book for my trip from PHX and connecting via CLT last week. Normally it was around $500 but for the week June 24-28 it was over $1000! It was rather unusual especially, most flights showed plenty of empty seats. Well, Delta won the business in this case!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:04 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
July 4 begins is on a Wednesday this year (the following week from what the OP mentions). I imagine there will be people taking long weekends, including Mon-Tue that week, as well as people taking 7/4-7/8. Maybe US is just catching a lot of traffic from pre-holiday travelers?

I'm reaching, but the proximity to the holiday is the only thing that stood out at me. I didn't, however, check any events in town that week.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:53 am

The US Airways website has been having issues with their pricing since last night. Most routes have doubled/tripled in price out of PHX. There has been a variety of routes that I have been monitoring for the last couple of weeks, and all of them went up. I called the Chairman's desk this morning and they said that they have been having computer problems but he did not confirm the problem was with their pricing.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Have had the same issue since Friday (6/8) when attempting to price cxns via PHX from ORD to several different destinations for upcoming travel. Fares are 2-3 times normal, and most are pricing at discounted First rather than Coach. At first I thought it was an inventory issue, but same itins 1-2 months out priced exactly the same. Then I thought it was route, but when I priced out of MKE, same issue. Called US Air this morning, tried to explain issue. Was on hold while they spoke to 'fare experts'. Message back was that they have "withdrawn" most of their discounted fare classes (!?!). In all markets?

More likely is the fact that there is a pricing engine glitch and discounted fare classes are just not 'available' to the pricing engine. In any event this is most frustrating for I also will need to book on alternate carriers (the discounted coach fare classes only seem to be available on US codeshare on UA metal).
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum
Looks like things are back to almost normal. The prices through Charlotte still seem a little higher relative to PHL than normal...hope it's not a trend.

If I have to fly through PHL regularly I'm going to have to charge combat pay to my clients.

(really, it's worth at least $100 per flight for me to avoid Philly....)
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by longnguk
I noticed the same thing when trying to book for my trip from PHX and connecting via CLT last week. Normally it was around $500 but for the week June 24-28 it was over $1000! It was rather unusual especially, most flights showed plenty of empty seats. Well, Delta won the business in this case!
Originally Posted by CNMAZ
The US Airways website has been having issues with their pricing since last night. Most routes have doubled/tripled in price out of PHX. There has been a variety of routes that I have been monitoring for the last couple of weeks, and all of them went up. I called the Chairman's desk this morning and they said that they have been having computer problems but he did not confirm the problem was with their pricing.
Originally Posted by scholity
Have had the same issue since Friday (6/8) when attempting to price cxns via PHX from ORD to several different destinations for upcoming travel. Fares are 2-3 times normal, and most are pricing at discounted First rather than Coach. At first I thought it was an inventory issue, but same itins 1-2 months out priced exactly the same. Then I thought it was route, but when I priced out of MKE, same issue. Called US Air this morning, tried to explain issue. Was on hold while they spoke to 'fare experts'. Message back was that they have "withdrawn" most of their discounted fare classes (!?!). In all markets?

More likely is the fact that there is a pricing engine glitch and discounted fare classes are just not 'available' to the pricing engine. In any event this is most frustrating for I also will need to book on alternate carriers (the discounted coach fare classes only seem to be available on US codeshare on UA metal).
Hey, hey ... what's the big deal here? It's just a little technical glitch. You know, a computer, or an internet thing. It's not like US is in the business of selling, say, ... airline tickets.

I mean, ... good grief.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Yes, confirm that it appears that the pricing system is back to normal. Just took advantage of 24-hour xcl window and rebooked all my flights on US. Amazing thing is that res agents I spoke to had no clue there was an issue to begin with.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:52 pm

Weird, I'm connecting through CLT that week LAS-CLT-DCA, and both the A321 and A319 seem only 80-85% full (based on the seatmaps)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.