FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   short layover in PHX? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1353051-short-layover-phx.html)

gobluetwo Jun 4, 2012 1:17 pm

short layover in PHX?

Point me to an existing thread if there is one, but couldn't find one.

I'm thinking of booking ORD-PHX-SLC / SLC-PHX-ORD, but there are short layovers in PHX both ways - 68 and 60 minutes, respectively.

Never having been to PHX, is this a realistic connection time? Usual caveats concerning weather, irrops, etc, but assuming things run reasonably on time, should I be ok here? How far a walk is it from the first A pier (gates 17-30) to the B pier? Looking at the PHX map, doesn't look too bad. Certainly doesn't look ridiculous like IAH, MSP, or ORD C to T2

May even get a quick trip to the lounge if I hustle? Thanks.

Also - why via PHX on US? Could use the extra miles - slow travel quarter - and also 40% lower fare than the non-stops and connections on UA, DL and AA.

lkar Jun 4, 2012 1:21 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. There are moving walkways. Even if the arriving gate is high A and you need to get to high B, it's 15 minutes tops. There are also guys who will drive you on a little cart if you're in a hurry.

gobluetwo Jun 4, 2012 1:38 pm

Awesome - thx!

Nicksta Jun 4, 2012 3:05 pm

Easiest connection you'll ever make.

AirShuttle6162 Jun 5, 2012 12:07 am

IME, the likelyhood of you arriving on the high Bs (B23-B28, B15-B22 are used for regionals) is pretty low.

gobluetwo Jun 5, 2012 8:56 am

Looks like the recent ORD-PHX flights have been coming into A29 (or around there) and PHX-SLC is out of B12 (or around there). Looks like it won't be too bad with moving sidewalks and dudes with carts. Thanks again.

lkar Jun 5, 2012 9:01 am

I walked from roughly the end of the high-B pier to roughly A4 yesterday. Thinking about this thread I paid attention to time. About 9 minutes with a short stop and not rushing.

MavSeven Jun 8, 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 18696231)
I'm thinking of booking ORD-PHX-SLC / SLC-PHX-ORD, but there are short layovers in PHX both ways - 68 and 60 minutes, respectively.

Minimum connect time in PHX is 25 minutes. IME, you will have time to sit down for a beer before your next flight.

formeraa Jun 8, 2012 10:30 pm

If you walk quickly using the moving sidewalks, then you can make it from one end to the other within 10 minutes or so. If you are pressed for time, look for one of the carts that will wisk you to your connecting gate. :) The drivers are always willing to help any passengers. Just make sure to tip the driver -- they are minimum wage workers!

aztimm Jun 9, 2012 8:10 am

Point me to an existing thread if there is one, but couldn't find one.

The guide to PHX, located in the sticky at the top of the forum has tons of info on this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...x-airport.html

Never having been to PHX, is this a realistic connection time? Usual caveats concerning weather, irrops, etc, but assuming things run reasonably on time, should I be ok here? How far a walk is it from the first A pier (gates 17-30) to the B pier? Looking at the PHX map, doesn't look too bad. Certainly doesn't look ridiculous like IAH, MSP, or ORD C to T2

May even get a quick trip to the lounge if I hustle? Thanks.

Also - why via PHX on US? Could use the extra miles - slow travel quarter - and also 40% lower fare than the non-stops and connections on UA, DL and AA.

As the others said, I think these are quite workable connections, so long as your incoming flights are on time. If they are delayed, or you have to wait for a gate, you may have to really move to make them.

Just a question though--you list that you're UA preferred. Why not just take ORD-SLC nonstop on UA?

jmastron Jun 9, 2012 10:15 am

Be sure to take a look at the concourse map either online or in the inflight magazine. PHX labels their concourses weirdly, at least from the perspective of connecting passengers -- though US only uses "A" and "B", those are really 4 separate concourses. From left to right:
A15-30
A1-14
B1-14
B15-28

So A1 to B1 isn't too far, but A30 to B14 is 2 concourses away plus the distance. I understand the letters match the security checkpoints, but once inside they really don't make sense like that.

60-68 minutes should be okay, but beware if you have what happened to me on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend: 50 minute connection; we arrived 5 minutes early...but waited 30 minutes for a gate. Had to run from something like A23 to B11, 2 concourses away, and the terminal was packed full of people that morning (didn't see any carts). Only made it before boarding closed because I gently shoved a few rude bozos on the plane back into their row who didn't think we were serious about people having tight connections and they could take all the time in the world to pull their carryons out. Hint: there should be little gap between people exiting in the aisle as you grab your stuff and go. If the last person is 30 feet down and you're still fumbling with your bag, you're holding up others and need to step in and wait until you have room to do what you need.

But normally PHX is fairly easy for connections.

gobluetwo Jun 11, 2012 7:41 am

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 18726357)
The guide to PHX, located in the sticky at the top of the forum has tons of info on this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...x-airport.html

I totally missed that thread. GREAT info in there!

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 18726357)
Just a question though--you list that you're UA preferred. Why not just take ORD-SLC nonstop on UA?

Client prefers lower cost flights and, at the time of booking, the UA non-stop itin was about $400 more than the US one-stop itin. Preferred to stay with *A as opposed to going with DL (which was only about $30 less than US).