Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Is there a trick to picking connections to maximize PQMs on US (transcon flights)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a trick to picking connections to maximize PQMs on US (transcon flights)?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, DL PM

Hi All,

I'm on trial preferred right now and looking to not necessarily do MRs but do some leisure travel that *also* maximizes my PQMs. I'm not sure if this belongs in the MR forum, but I didn't see too much US activity on there.

I'm based out of SFO (OAK ok, SJC passable, SMF probably impossible). I have family on the east coast (EWR ideal/PHL OK, JFK/LGA passable). Is there a trick to picking which connections or IDing additional stops (assuming I don't have access to any special software that tells me routing codes).

I've been using ITA to pick flights, but am wondering if there are routings or adding stops that would max out my PQMs that might not come up automatically when I search using these tools?

I have already booked an SFO->EWR through CLT that was decently cheap, but I haven't seen a similar one that cheap since. Right now SJC->EWR through DEN looks cheapest.

Another question, someone mentioned for trial preferred it's butt in seat miles on US metal. Do the 500 mile segment minimums not apply then? So, a short haul 60 mile flight only counts as 60 miles?

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
500 mile minimums count towards the trial. Otherwise I would not currently be gold.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by jondysse
Hi All,

I'm on trial preferred right now and looking to not necessarily do MRs but do some leisure travel that *also* maximizes my PQMs. I'm not sure if this belongs in the MR forum, but I didn't see too much US activity on there.

I have already booked an SFO->EWR through CLT that was decently cheap, but I haven't seen a similar one that cheap since. Right now SJC->EWR through DEN looks cheapest.
Is this a US codeshare on UA? You may know better than I, but do codeshares (US ticket on UA metal) count?
Old May 25, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Is this a US codeshare on UA? You may know better than I, but do codeshares (US ticket on UA metal) count?
That is definitely a codeshare on UA. And no, codeshares do not count. OP, do not book this. I skimmed the first time and did not catch that.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by jondysse
I've been using ITA to pick flights, but am wondering if there are routings or adding stops that would max out my PQMs that might not come up automatically when I search using these tools?
In ITA Advanced Routing Codes do something like: US US US for a 3 segment US Journey. It can pull up some really random routings. I was playing around and saw AGS-CLT-RDU-PHL-PIT for just $30 more than AGS-CLT-PIT

Last edited by sbbutler93; May 25, 2012 at 12:14 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 25, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, DL PM
Originally Posted by gwar69
That is definitely a codeshare on UA. And no, codeshares do not count. OP, do not book this. I skimmed the first time and did not catch that.
Oops, you're right. The way out was SJC->EWR via PHX was US metal but the return through denver is United, which won't work, gave the lowest possible fare I've seen on US ($376 ai) for June/July travel between these two regions.

These are obviously not great deals, but I'm trying to see if I can get to a higher tier (Plat/CP) using travel I'd normally be okay with doing anyway. I know I have a lot of travel coming up on US friendly routes in the fall.

My family would not appreciate me flying into HPN or one of those other tiny regionals otherwise I think that also seems to be a way to minimize fares between west coast and east coast.

Thanks for the helpful tip about 500 mile segments also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.