Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways lounge facilities in FRA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I have US Club as well as US Gold/*G and this time traveling with wife and two kids (long story but one is not on the same PNR). My route is CLT-PHL-MUC (on US) and MUC-FRA-CLT on LH/US respectively all in Y.

I know I won't have an issue with US Lounges in CLT and PHL, what about LH in MUC and FRA on the return? If I understand correctly *A would get me + 1 guest and US Club me + 1 guest so technically I am 1 short (2 year old?).

Thoughts on LH lounge access based on this info? Should I even try or forget about getting us all in past the LH lounge ladies?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by iztok
... what about LH in MUC and FRA on the return? If I understand correctly *A would get me + 1 guest and US Club me + 1 guest so technically I am 1 short (2 year old?).
You will certainly have access in both MUC and FRA to either the Business or Senator Lounges (no huge difference between the two in case you're wondering although the Sen are generally less crowded).

I'm not sure you'll be able to "double dip" with both Star Gold status and US Club membership to get more than one guest into the lounge. Has anyone done this in the past???
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I also have a question regarding lounge access in MUC. The misses and I are traveling to MUC in Envoy. Does MUC have a welcome lounge similar to FRA or are they depature lounges only?

Also it will be our first time in the Envoy suites. Since we're traveling together, I picked row 2 in the middle both outbound and return. Any thoughts on if any row/seats are better? We're on an A330-300 so there are 7 rows. We typically like underseat storage so row 1 is usually not something we go for.
Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
I also have a question regarding lounge access in MUC. The misses and I are traveling to MUC in Envoy. Does MUC have a welcome lounge similar to FRA or are they depature lounges only?
I've only connected through MUC over the past several years, so I'll have to defer to someone else.

Also it will be our first time in the Envoy suites. Since we're traveling together, I picked row 2 in the middle both outbound and return. Any thoughts on if any row/seats are better? We're on an A330-300 so there are 7 rows. We typically like underseat storage so row 1 is usually not something we go for.
Thanks
Honestly, I think they're all fine. I know that may sound odd - most cabins have seats to avoid - but the hard product that is the Envoy suite is fine pretty much in any seat. Some folks want to avoid seats adjacent to the galley due to the lights potentially being on during the overnight hours, but this hasn't bothered me as yet. If you think it may bother you, avoid the row 1 center seats. However, there is no less underseat storage in row 1 - there is the same space under the footrest regardless of which seat or row you're in, so this shouldn't be a concern. It's not like the first row of coach with a bulkhead ahead of you.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: nobody

Thanks
You are travelling on US, Welcome lounge is only for LH,LX and UA/CO metal arrival passengers.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by iztok
I know I won't have an issue with US Lounges in CLT and PHL, what about LH in MUC and FRA on the return? If I understand correctly *A would get me + 1 guest and US Club me + 1 guest so technically I am 1 short (2 year old?).

Thoughts on LH lounge access based on this info? Should I even try or forget about getting us all in past the LH lounge ladies?
According to reports, you and only one guest will be allowed in, despite the US Club membership:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...-2-guests.html
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
I have booked my FRA-CLT-PBI trip with a later and better departure from FRA, 12:30pm. Will arrive at FRA at 8am and now plan to visit Tower Lounge for at least 2 hours.

I assume I can take the lift from Level 1 near the LH check-in up to the Sky Train and walk to the Tower Lounge? How long of a walk is it and is there a passport check/security point before the lounge? (if I remember other posts, there is, yes?)

My plan is to leave the Tower Lounge at 11am to head to my departure gate in C (old) where I will again have to pass through security. I assume that gives me plenty of time to get there for pre-boarding?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Had a two hour connection LH-US on a BLQ-FRA-CLT flight yesterday. I have to say the lounge options in FRA are essentially useless on a connection like that. The black sheep of *A gate C4, with one security line for a 333 is awful.

When you factor in a 15-20 minute walk from whatever intra-European connection you've had, then past immigration, and having the pass through another security checkpoint to get to the LH lounge, then showing up at T-60 min at the C4 checkpoint that took 30 minutes, plus the ICTS questioning and you barely make the flight if you try and visit a lounge. What use is lounge access if flying US out of FRA?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Had a two hour connection LH-US on a BLQ-FRA-CLT flight yesterday. I have to say the lounge options in FRA are essentially useless on a connection like that. The black sheep of *A gate C4, with one security line for a 333 is awful.

When you factor in a 15-20 minute walk from whatever intra-European connection you've had, then past immigration, and having the pass through another security checkpoint to get to the LH lounge, then showing up at T-60 min at the C4 checkpoint that took 30 minutes, plus the ICTS questioning and you barely make the flight if you try and visit a lounge. What use is lounge access if flying US out of FRA?
This is really a problem with the design of FRA, and why I always take a MUC routing if at all possible. I recall the first time I flew out of FRA, originating there maybe 15 years ago, and being shocked that they were calling people to the gate a full 90 min before departure time. I figured they were just being cautious to get people moving and not miss the flight, so I took my time. Well, everything was longer than I expected and I was one of the last to board. And this was pre-9/11.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
I must agree with both FlyigglesFly and PHLwookie. I fly FRA because that is my "home" airport. I arrived 3 hours before flight time so I could visit the new A+ Pier and the new LH lounge, which I did and thoroughly enjoyed. However, I was unable to take the skyline train from there because it was non-operational which made for an uncommonly long and convoluted walk to C hall. I allowed plenty of time (90 minutes) and while walking (I wound up in the arrivals hall!) they announced my flight. Passport control was relatively quick but security was a very slow process even though most of the lanes were open. I arrived at gate 4 in plenty of time but I was really frustrated at the lack of 'people movers' between halls. And why was the skyline train not working? Even the people who help travelers were at a loss as to why it was not functioning.
FRA needs to rethink their internal transport system of passengers.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by IMH

As Burj and Bob'sYourUncle have indicated, allow plenty of time for the combination of security and lengthy walks between lounges and gates at FRA. Sometimes things go quickly but over the years I have experienced several extremely long waits at security there, especially in the run up to the morning departures for the USA.

This is very good advice. I barely made my connecting Flight. They were preparing to give my C seat to someone else.

Bobette
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
With a fair amount of experience, my 2 cents:

1. If FRA is your O/D airport, no worries.
2. If connecting LH to LH, no big deal but still give yourself a window for delays/changing terminals.
3. If connecting US to LH (or vice-verse) connect through MUC instead!
4. If you must connect US to LH in FRA (or vice-verse), allow lots of extra time and don't stay in the lounge too long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.