FA with Bluetooth Earpiece

Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
FA with Bluetooth Earpiece

Hi there,

I'm a Chicago-based United flyer, but US Airways (and PSA) was the best way to travel to some small places in Alabama and Florida I just visited.

When boarding my first flight home from VPS to CLT last week, the flight attendant was wearing a bluetooth earpiece. I was totally shocked to see that, since I don't ever recall seeing a member of the flight crew on any other airline wearing a cell phone accessory attached to his or her head while on duty. Was he seriously going to place or take a call during boarding? He took it off shortly after the door closed, but still this strikes me as incredibly unprofessional behavior for a representative of the airline.

I've flown intermittently on US Airways over the past several years and have noticed that a lot of the front line employees I've dealt with seem a half a notch or so below most other US carriers in terms of professionalism, presentation, and, to put it bluntly, class. Something frequently seems a little "off" with the people I've come in contact with on US Airways, at least compared to United and Continental (and obviously also the European and Asian Star Alliance carriers), where I do most of my flying.

Is it just me, or has anyone else ever felt similarly?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsl42
Is it just me, or has anyone else ever felt similarly?
Just you
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: Southwest A, Marriott LT Plat, US CP
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Just you

Ha! +1
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I wouldn't assign the characteristics of this one person to an entire employee class. Each airline has their good and bad, but I don't find US to be materially different from other domestic carriers (Southwest excepted - not better or worse, just different).

btw, I've always wanted to make up business cards with the following and hand them out, courtesy of Wired magazine

He can barely pull it off and you are not him.

Don't be a BlueTool
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:07 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Just like all the other threads about employees this one is no different. Do you know why he had it in? Maybe waiting on a call from scheduling to make sure hes working the flight as a stand in? Maybe he forgot it was in? Maybe something happened at home and he needs to to know something? So many reasons it could be..... Just like passengers forgetting to turn theirs off or not wanting to comply with the rules.....
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:32 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Petty post. There are much bigger fish to fry in the world.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by flight62
Petty post. There are much bigger fish to fry in the world.
And it's express besides NOT mainline.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott, United
Sheesh. I suppose if the FA had forgotten his/her sunglasses were slid up on top of their head, it'd be a low class thing too. FA probably had the Bluetooth on between flights and just forgot about it. I'd rank this up there with a FA not realizing their fly was down (as long as nothing was popping out).
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Just you
Yep, +1!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
And it's express besides NOT mainline.
Petty either way.... The grannies at Mainline forgot they left Ethel Mertz on the line of the rotary phone before they left for their day trip..... Who the heck cares....
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Maybe it was a hearing amplifier as seen on TV.

http://www.drleonards.com/health-pro...c-xl/13516.cfm
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: US DM Preferred nothing
Originally Posted by jsl42
Hi there,

I'm a Chicago-based United flyer, but US Airways (and PSA) was the best way to travel to some small places in Alabama and Florida I just visited.

Generally, you will find that the East based crew members take customer service much less seriously than the West based crew members. At least that has been my experience. It all goes back to the US / AW merger.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by windsmith
Generally, you will find that the East based crew members take customer service much less seriously than the West based crew members. At least that has been my experience. It all goes back to the US / AW merger.
Well. given that it's been almost 7 years, one would figure that the "superior" west training would have made its way across the rockies by now

In fairness, I haven't been exposed to the west side of the operation, but for the most part the east crews are cordial and professional. There will be lemons in any group larger than 1, but painting the majority of the operation as unprofessional strikes me as an unfair generalization. Even more so when the management team from west is in charge, and ultimately managment is responsible for the whole organization - their authority doesn't stop at the mississipi river.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yes it has been seven years, and still there are seperations before east and west. Untiil the contract issue are hammered out, there will be problems. Since you haven't really flown with much west crew, I can tell you first hand there is a big difference between the two.

Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
Well. given that it's been almost 7 years, one would figure that the "superior" west training would have made its way across the rockies by now

In fairness, I haven't been exposed to the west side of the operation, but for the most part the east crews are cordial and professional. There will be lemons in any group larger than 1, but painting the majority of the operation as unprofessional strikes me as an unfair generalization. Even more so when the management team from west is in charge, and ultimately managment is responsible for the whole organization - their authority doesn't stop at the mississipi river.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by windsmith
Unless, of course, they are PHL based.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.