Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Preferred Access" boarding to begin in Feb.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
"Preferred Access" boarding to begin in Feb.

Just got word at work today that come february, something called "Preferred Access" boarding will begin. Being told it will be similar to the dual lane boarding we tested last year with more details to be coming.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Looking forward to hearing more details when they are announced. It will be nice to not have to push through tons of people to board anymore (I hope).
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Or they could save time and name it "Priority AAccess" from the go-ahead.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Nicksta
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
LOL!!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
This is great news! Always nice to see US doing things that all of the other legacy carriers in the country do...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Just got word at work today that come february, something called "Preferred Access" boarding will begin. Being told it will be similar to the dual lane boarding we tested last year with more details to be coming.
Great. Now, you can push your way through the crowd of people who apparently can't read their BP's so that you can actually get to the lane.

I do hope that US learns from its competitors' error by simply numbering the Zones from 1 to whatever. For UA, Zone 1 is often the third or fourth actual zone called for boarding. For people who aren't experienced travelers or, more likely, traveling from abroad, seeing "Zone 1" means that you think that you are first.

I don't particularly care if there are 10 zones, I just thing you pick a simple system and help people count through it (until there is an IQ test linked to BP issuance).
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
American's profligate use of the letter 'a' is undoubtedly part of what's landed them in bankruptcy.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dtremit
American's profligate use of the letter 'a' is undoubtedly part of what's landed them in bankruptcy.
Do you mean bAAnkruptcy?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Do you mean bAAnkruptcy?
^^^
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
As we know, US is always looking for ways to up-sell things (ala "Choice Seats"). And now it's early boarding. My guess is "Preferred Access" will allow non-Preferreds to buy-up to an earlier boarding position.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jim_F
As we know, US is always looking for ways to up-sell things (ala "Choice Seats"). And now it's early boarding. My guess is "Preferred Access" will allow non-Preferreds to buy-up to an earlier boarding position.
I'm sure it'll just get wrapped into choice seats since they get zone 2 already. I really don't see anyone biting for priority boarding alone for more than 5 or 10 bucks.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by javacodeguy
I'm sure it'll just get wrapped into choice seats since they get zone 2 already. I really don't see anyone biting for priority boarding alone for more than 5 or 10 bucks.
WN does pretty well selling their early check-in product for $10. I wouldn't put it past US to try the same thing.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Often1
Great. Now, you can push your way through the crowd of people who apparently can't read their BP's so that you can actually get to the lane.
That was my thought at first, too. But I'd imagine that the existence of a Preferred lane will make it obvious to non-Preferreds that there is indeed another access point that should remain accessible. In my experience flying *A awards in J class on several airlines, the crowd typically leaves space open for the status lanes. When there is only one access point (like with many TG flights), it's the same mob scene that we get with US.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by coswellnc
WN does pretty well selling their early check-in product for $10. I wouldn't put it past US to try the same thing.
Getting in line early in WN is VERY different from getting in line early on US.

On US the difference between zone 2 and zone 3 is you might have to wait more. It's usually not until zone 4 or 5 that overhead space even matters.

On WN you are fighting to get a decent seat. If you aren't in the first boarding group you probably won't be getting that aisle seat you want, so to me boarding first on WN is far more valuable than US. You get better seats AND better overhead availability. Pretty good deal for $10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.