My ticket price dropped - can I get a refund?

Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Why do US legacy carriers have the current pricing model? Well, it dates back to the period after deregulation. In the 1980's, any number of new carriers with very low labor costs (new carriers with non-union employees) popped up, offering very low fares to garner market share. The US legacy carriers had much a higher cost structure (due to union employees, substantial aircraft and airport investments, complex computer systems, etc).

The result was that the legacy carriers had to find a way to offer the very low fares, but still protect their higher revenue travelers. The first reaction was to build advance purchase "fences" around their fares (60 day, 30 day, 21 day, 14 day, 7 day, 3 day, and walk-up). The longer the advance purchase, the lower the fare. Initially, there were no cancellation penalties.

However, the smart people gamed the system. The last minute business traveler might as well buy a cheap 14 day adv purchase ticket. If their plans changed, they could just buy-up to the next available fare. Hence, the airlines made the fares non-refundable, but changable with a $50 cancellation fee. That seemed reasonable at the time, because many fares were even higher than they are today.

The cancellation fees increased as airlines began to see them as revenue sources and the rest is history.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I think the implosion of the global financial market and the cost of fuel has a bit more to do with US' current stock prices than the presence or absence of a fee. One could argue that it's the change fees, baggage fees and various other fees that have kept the stock at just losing 80% and not 90% or more.
Of course the refund policy has nothing to do with US's stock price. But the implosion of the global financial market is almost three years old and also has nothing to do with US's current stock price. And the cost of fuel is barely correlated.

Last edited by tommyleo; Jan 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.