Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any recourse for being downgraded? (UA award ticket in US F)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Any recourse for being downgraded? (UA award ticket in US F)

I had booked an award FC flight through UA on US, BDL-CLT-SAV.

A mechanical delayed the first leg enough that I wouldn't make the connection, and even though there was a later connection with open seats they said they couldn't give it to me because of the Class of Service (I think that was the term) of the ticket.

They ended up getting me on a Delta flight through ATL, but of course it was in coach. Do I have any recourse for miles credit, or a voucher, or something?

Also, it seems really odd that they couldn't re-route me on one of their own flights, but could on someone not even in their own alliance...
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Do I understand right that you were booked BDL-CLT-SAV (UA award ticket on US in F) and ended up flying BDL-ATL-SAV (rerouted onto DL in coach?)

If you flew entirely in coach, but paid for a premium-cabin award, UA should refund you the mileage difference between what you paid & what you got. If you flew even one segment in a premium cabin I'm sorry to report that UA policy will be that you get no mileage refund.

The operating carrier, US Airways, may offer compensation for the problems that caused your flight to be so late that you would have misconnected. Depending on the reason for the delay, US may or may not choose to compensate you (they will probably compensate you with some kind of travel credit or miles if the problem was mechanical or crew related; they will probably not compensate you with travel credit or miles if the problem was weather related). In general, for compensation for delays, talk to the operating carrier of the delayed flight.

Hard to understand exactly why you couldn't get onto a later US Airways flight CLT-SAV — we don't have quite enough info to understand for sure here. Sorry things didn't work out & glad to hear you did make it eventually!

In general when things go wrong on the day of departure, the best person to ask is the operating carrier (the US Airways gate agents), not the ticketing airline (UA in this case).
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Who is "they"? It's really confusing. Until that is answered, the "why the reroute on DL" is an open question.

2. Getting past the issue of why the reroute on DL, OP is entitled to a refund of the difference in the cost of the F and Y tickets. Paid in miles, this means the mileage difference.

3. As a CS gesture, US may also provide OP with some a gesture in the form of miles/cert.

4. US may also, as a CS gesture, credit OP for the miles/segments which would have been flown. Ask US for Original Routing Credit (ORC).
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Do I understand right that you were booked BDL-CLT-SAV (UA award ticket on US in F) and ended up flying BDL-ATL-SAV (rerouted onto DL in coach?)
Yes

If you flew entirely in coach, but paid for a premium-cabin award, UA should refund you the mileage difference between what you paid & what you got. If you flew even one segment in a premium cabin I'm sorry to report that UA policy will be that you get no mileage refund.
Well, I did fly in first class BDL-ATL, but I paid for the upgrade - US gave me coach (Y) ticket on the Delta flight but there were like like 6 open seats in first so I payed the $75.

Depending on the reason for the delay, US may or may not choose to compensate you (they will probably compensate you with some kind of travel credit or miles if the problem was mechanical or crew related; they will probably not compensate you with travel credit or miles if the problem was weather related). In general, for compensation for delays, talk to the operating carrier of the delayed flight.
According to the recorded message I received, as well as the email, it was "maintenance affecting a prior flight".

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Who is "they"? It's really confusing. Until that is answered, the "why the reroute on DL" is an open question.
Sorry - Since it was a US ticket, I spoke with an agent at the desk in the US Club Lounge at BDL. When the system wouldn't let her re-book me on the later CLT-SAV segment, she called the help desk and they confirmed that they couldn't do it because of the class of service of the original booking. I guess I should have inquired further as to what that meant, but I didn't. The US agent got me re-routed on Delta.

4. US may also, as a CS gesture, credit OP for the miles/segments which would have been flown. Ask US for Original Routing Credit (ORC).
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 29, 2013 at 11:43 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
According to OP this was an award ticket.

It is just bizarre that US would prefer to buy you a ticket on DL rather than put you on its own metal. Sounds like a screw-up of some kind.

Do you have proof you were rebooked in Y for both segments? If all you have is the F boarding pass BDL-ATL, you may have trouble proving to UA that you were not rebooked in original class of service.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately the Delta agent didn't give me back my original boarding pass. But I do have the receipt showing a same day paid upgrade. And I have a printout that the US agent gave me to take to Delta. It has a confirmation number and itinerary and a bunch of other numbers on it though as far as I can tell is doesn't show the actual class.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Your beef is with US, not UA. Doubtful US refunded UA and on UA records it will show US was paid in full.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Do I understand right that you were booked BDL-CLT-SAV (UA award tick If you flew even one segment in a premium cabin I'm sorry to report that UA policy will be that you get no mileage refund.
It has been awhile since I used miles to upgrade, but I thought US used upgrades per flight not for whole route. Thus you should get the miles back for the flight even if you used one for another segment

??
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BeatCal
It has been awhile since I used miles to upgrade, but I thought US used upgrades per flight not for whole route. Thus you should get the miles back for the flight even if you used one for another segment

??
Does not appear it a mileage upgrade (*A upgrade) but a F award ticket.

However more to the point, the way I read the OP neither US segments were flown.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does not appear it a mileage upgrade (*A upgrade) but a F award ticket.
Yes, it was an award ticket, technically an"O" class ticket.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
However more to the point, the way I read the OP neither US segments were flown.
Correct.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Volunteered on an award itinerary over the holiday. US Airways miles, United business class flight, 18 oversold. United rebooked to coach on AA & $300 voucher. And best of all, earned miles on AA. Not pleased with the downgrade to coach but realized the miles via American would be of value.

So let us not forget the noted Y fare earns miles on Delta. Noted original ticket award ticket so no miles, but no harm in filing original routing credit.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Great response

I'm impressed. I sent an email to UA this morning at 8:37. Just received the following response at 12:42.

Hello Mr. Waldmann,

We’re always glad to hear from MileagePlus® members like you. Thanks for writing.

I have redeposited 12,500 miles as requested. You can view the mileage details online with the transaction date of August 7, 2013. Please log on to www.united.com and enter your MileagePlus account number and PIN or password in the MileagePlus Sign In area to view this activity.

We appreciate your participation in the MileagePlus program and your support of United and our partners. We look forward to serving your travel needs again in the near future.

Regards,

Eva Cole

MileagePlus® Service Center
Thanks for all your responses.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Oh, and BTW, I did get 750 miles from Delta for the BDL-ATL part of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.