Layovers at DCA

Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Layovers at DCA

In August, I have two USAir flights:

3361, MHT to DCA
1711, DCA to CLT

According to USAir's website, today's 3361 arrives at gate 24 at 1255; 1711 leaves from gate 42 at 1345. I have no clue what gates they'll be using when I take my flights, but it looks like I might have to change terminals.

And what's that terminal with gates 23-34? B? C? B.5? In either case, am I correct that USAir has a bus connecting it to terminal C? And what's the bus's headway?

So I ask: do I have a good chance of actually making this connection? Or am I screwed?

(After going over the various flight options with my family, this was the best one orbitz.com spat out at me--all the others were way too early, way too late, or had even shorter layovers at CLT and ATL.)
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
This question is probably better asked in the US DM forum. However, I'll answer.

-If your flights are on time, you are fine. There is a bus that connects the 2 terminals.
-There is no guarantee that that 3361 will go to gate 24, so your dilemma might be imaginary.
-If you incoming flight is more than 15-20 minutes, late you might miss it.
-There are many more flights between DCA-CLT and you are arriving early afternoon, there is a very good chance you'll make it at some point later in the day.
-If you end up stuck, the Metro is right outside the airport. You can be at the Capital building in 20 minutes for some impromptu sight seeing.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's within MCT for US at DCA and easily doable. Both MHT and CLT flights could arrive/depart from either Pier. There is a mini-bus running airside between the two Piers and it's about a 30-second ride. You should be at your CLT flight flight within 10 mins of stepping off your MHT flight.

Note that you do have to walk down/up stairs to get to the mini-bus, so make sure that your carryon(s) really are carryable.

If there's a serious delay, CLT is a US hub and there are lots of later flight options.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Often1
It's within MCT for US at DCA and easily doable. Both MHT and CLT flights could arrive/depart from either Pier. There is a mini-bus running airside between the two Piers and it's about a 30-second ride. You should be at your CLT flight flight within 10 mins of stepping off your MHT flight.
Good luck with that. You may have to wait AT LEAST that long for the shuttle bus.

If there's a serious delay, CLT is a US hub and there are lots of later flight options.
Unless the weather is really down and the CLT flights get cxld.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Good luck with that. You may have to wait AT LEAST that long for the shuttle bus.

Unless the weather is really down and the CLT flights get cxld.
I've had them make a special run for me on request with tight timing. As to WX, nothing you can do about it, so don't sweat it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.