Search

Canadair Regional Jet Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:44 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Canadair Regional Jet Question

I'm new to US Airways and have a question about carry-on luggage when flying on a Canadair Regional Jet. I always bring two carry-on bags when I fly on AA, my main airline. But I have read that this is a really small plane and have to wonder if there would even be room for a second bag. My first carry-on bag is one of those smaller suitcases on wheels and my second, which I literally carry, is 19x11x12. Am I better off checking one bag or will there likely be room? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Neal
I'm new to US Airways and have a question about carry-on luggage when flying on a Canadair Regional Jet. I always bring two carry-on bags when I fly on AA, my main airline. But I have read that this is a really small plane and have to wonder if there would even be room for a second bag. My first carry-on bag is one of those smaller suitcases on wheels and my second, which I literally carry, is 19x11x12. Am I better off checking one bag or will there likely be room? Thanks in advance for any replies.
I'm not sure that either of those bags will fit in the overhead bins. You can tag them with a yellow carry on tag and leave them plane side and they will be return them plane side at your destination.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
The bins are fairly small. I carry on a briefcase that goes under the seat and a very small rolling suit case that barely fits in the overhead bin. On the CRJ's you gate check your larger items in the jetway and they are returned to you (in the jetway) when you land.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: US DM Chairman; Marriott Gold
Just a quick word of warning, you almost always get the gate checked back on the Jetway. There have been a few cases recently though where a late night CRJ flight ended with the FA announcing that gate checked bags would be available at baggage claim. They were both flights that got into SAT after 1 or 2 am (those late night flights they add on during Fiesta in SAT) so I am guessing that small stations sometimes don't have the people to return bags to the Jetway outside of normal hours.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:02 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Would the 19x11x12 bag fit under the seat? It's soft so I could cram it if necessary. Or is there only room for something the size of a briefcase?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you gate check, please be aware that at some stations, particularly when it is late, there are delays (perhaps on other arriving flts) or they are short-handed, that bags are sometimes returned at baggage claim. If you have anything valuable or medications you really rely on, make sure you take one very small carry-on which you know will fit.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If you gate check, please be aware that at some stations, particularly when it is late, there are delays (perhaps on other arriving flts) or they are short-handed, that bags are sometimes returned at baggage claim. If you have anything valuable or medications you really rely on, make sure you take one very small carry-on which you know will fit.
Actually, I carry a number of medications with me which is why I need to know if my 19x11x12 will fit under the seat or in the bin.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Actually, I carry a number of medications with me which is why I need to know if my 19x11x12 will fit under the seat or in the bin.
I've seen 19x15x11 listed as the max size for overheads. It sounds like yours will be very close.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
I've seen 19x15x11 listed as the max size for overheads. It sounds like yours will be very close.
First, it's made of soft material and second I don't plan on packing it very full.
So it should fit comfortably in the bin. I really appreciate all the replies. You've all been a big help and thanks again!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
That should work. I had a bag similar in size (16x13x8) that worked with considerable shoving, squeezing, etc... (the 13 dimension was the problem), no guarantees, though. However, if it is soft-sided, you could always take 1 or 2 things out and it'll fit (keep a plastic grocery bag either in your pocket or an easily accessible place, and use it if you need when you get on board).

US is usually good at getting bags out quickly, and I've never heard of them loosing a gate checked bag (at least on CRJ's and EMB's).

How long is your flight?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

That's a good idea about bringing a plastic bag. The flight is only about one hour long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.