Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS Boeing 757-200 (B75H Hawaii version) [RETIRED FROM FLEET]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Legacy US Airways / America West 757-2S7 ("B75H") to / from Hawai'i
Returning to Lessor mid-2018

This "West" or "Hawaii" (B75H) (ex-HP) aircraft is distinguished by offering 14 First class seats (2x2 across, 38" pitch, ~20" width reclining seats), 176 standard "Main Cabin" / economy seats (3x3 across, 32" pitch, 17" width) including 10? exit row seats designated Main Cabin Extra.

These aircraft are being retired from AA service and returned to their lessor and will be replaced by the Legacy U. S. Airways "East" (non-HP, US 757-2B7 / B57E with 12 "Envoy" angled flat 2 x 2 seats in First, 164 standard "Main Cabin" seats with 12 exit row seats designated MCE, beginning in April 2018. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)

No power, no IFE; at least the LHP "West" 752s (like the LAA "Eisenhower" F seats) have no head rests.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS Boeing 757-200 (B75H Hawaii version) [RETIRED FROM FLEET]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Tale of Good and Bad then Good and Bad again

I upgraded with miles to fly FC from PHX to OGG (Maui). Got off to bad start when my modestly sized roller duffle bag would not fit into the overheard of the old 757. I hate checking bags and this was more annoying b/c it came as a surprise. Flight itself was very pleasant though and made me happy I'd chosen upgrade. Dinner was better than my last several on US and the FA was the most attentive, hardworking FA I've ever experienced.

I have plenty of miles and should have upgraded the return trip but foolishly thought I had a good seat for the return (10a exit row, right next to where the passengers board). Didn't bother checking Seat Guru. ...Probably the worst flight of my life. Seemed like an unusually narrow seat to begin with, then once the door shut my effective legroom decreased a good 8 inches. I had to sit at an uncomfortable angle to stretch out my legs. But the worst was the cold air. I felt like I flew the whole way to PHX with my left foot dangling out of the bottom of the plane. I had to get up and walk around several times just to get the blood circulating. The person sitting next to me put on 2 pair of socks and was still complaining. Just ridiculously cold.

The flight arrived in PHX late and I had 15 minutes before my PHL 11:45pm was supposed to take off. As I ran (on frigid foot) from B7 to A20 I am praying that: 1) they are holding flight b/c of all the HNL passengers I was guessing might be headed to PHL, and 2) my checked bag is somehow going to make it too. Naturally I get to A20 about 11:37 and the sour gate agent tells me I am too late. She tells me she's putting me in FC on the 12:55am flight instead. I am shocked but thrilled that there is still another flight leaving tonight. I ask about my bag and she tells me it's probably on the 11:45pm flight.

The 12:55pm flight turns out to be one of the 757s w/ nearly lie flat seats in FC. My first time, and what a contrast to the previous flight. Getting a seat like that for a red-eye, what a treat. I get to PHL and hustle over to baggage claim wondering whether my bag was on this flight or the earlier one. Well, turns out it was on neither. Never left PHX. 90 minutes, a completed baggage claim form, and couple of phone calls later I confirm that US will be putting my bag on the next flight out of PHX. The bag contains my keys (car, house, work), two computers. I am wearing a short sleeve shirt and decide (from among a bunch of bad alternatives) that I will wait for the bag at the airport. I have a US Airways Club membership but b/c I have no ticket I can't even go there to hang out. For those of you who may have wondered the Terminal B/C baggage claim at PHL is not a particularly entertaining place to spend a vacation day. Over and over I kept muttering "I will NEVER EVER check another bag again." Five hours later my bag arrives.

Last edited by RunningLateAgain; Dec 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Not too sure if you can blame US for this, one should NEVER place important items such as, keys, computers, medications and money in check baggage. As someone who flys a lot, you should now this...

Originally Posted by RunningLateAgain
The bag contains my keys (car, house, work), two computers. I am wearing a short sleave shirt and decide (from among a bunch of bad alternatives) that I will wait for the bag at the airport. I have a US Airways Club membership but b/c I have no ticket I can't even go there to hang out. For those of you who may have wondered the Terminal B/C baggage claim at PHL is not a particularly entertaining place to spend a vacation day. Over and over I kept muttering "I will NEVER EVER check another bag again." Five hours later my bag arrives.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Yes and no. While waiting in PHL yes I was cursing myself for leaving such important keys in checked luggage. But carrying two laptops around? -- again I left on this trip assuming the rolling duffle (the only luggage I took) was something I could carry onto any of the big planes I would be flying. Until the flight from PHX to Hawaii I'd never had to check it before; but once I was forced to check it while on the plane I decided not to chance it on the return trip.

But as for US not putting my bag onto the 12:55am flight after I missed the 11:45pm flight, yes I do blame them for that. I carry-on 99%+ of the time so maybe I'm unaware of common airline checked baggage practice but shouldn't US have automatically put my bag on the next/final PHL flight that night? Was I and/or the gate agent supposed to have done something to make that happen? The only thing I could think of us is that the baggage handlers weren't aware that there was an even later flight to PHL. But w/ PHX being a hub, I would think they'd know that kind of stuff.

Last edited by RunningLateAgain; Dec 29, 2011 at 2:56 pm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yes and no. While waiting in PHL yes I was cursing myself for leaving such important keys in checked luggage. But carrying two laptops around? -- again, I left on this trip assuming the rolling duffle (the only luggage I took) was something I could carry onto any of the big planes I would be flying. Until the flight from PHX to Hawaii I'd never had to check it before; but once I was forced to check it I decided not to chance it on the return trip.

But as for USAir not putting my bag onto the 12:55am flight after I missed the 11:45pm flight, yes I do blame them for that. I carry-on 99%+ of the time so maybe I'm unaware of common airline checked baggage practice but shouldn't US have automatically put my bag on the next/final PHL flight that night? Was I and/or the gate agent supposed to have done something to make that happen? The only thing I could think of us is that the baggage handlers weren't aware that there was an even later flight to PHL. But w/ PHX being a hub, you would think they'd know that kind of stuff.
Ugh. Yeah, I can see how this happened and, wow, it is a lesson for the rest of us. Like you, I am a 99% non-checker; but lately I have been asking myself, "How bad could it be from time to time ?" You have reminded me of the answer. BTW (and although I see that you were going to OGG), I got into this habit after spending way too many HNL arrivals waiting endlessly -- endlessly -- for family baggage. (And this is without them losing it.) Does anyone know if HNL is still so slow ?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: None
Aircraft limitations being an exception, your bag should have been put on the next flight to PHL (since it didn't make it on your original flight to PHL). Most likely, it was put in an area for mis-connected bags and remained there till you filed the claim in PHL. Going eastbound this time of year, there shouldn't be any aircraft limitations that kept it from being loaded on the later flight.

You didn't say which flight you took OGG-PHX, but if you took the first one it's possible that your bag didn't leave OGG till the 2nd flight so wasn't misplaced in PHX. It just didn't get to PHX till the next morning and was put on the next flight to PHL.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Dec 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries:17711974
Does anyone know if HNL is still so slow ?
YES!!! Is horribly slow. I was just there 2wks ago and from the time the wheels touched down to when our bags came nearly an hour had passed. I chalked it up to them possibly having to go thru some special agricultural screening, but I have no idea if that's the case.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: None
Almost all the ground employees are contract which might make a difference.

Jim
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Agreed that US should have done that, but I NEVER assume anything with the airlines, I always travel with a bag I bring on board...

Yes and no. While waiting in PHL yes I was cursing myself for leaving such important keys in checked luggage. But carrying two laptops around? -- again I left on this trip assuming the rolling duffle (the only luggage I took) was something I could carry onto any of the big planes I would be flying. Until the flight from PHX to Hawaii I'd never had to check it before; but once I was forced to check it while on the plane I decided not to chance it on the return trip.

But as for US not putting my bag onto the 12:55am flight after I missed the 11:45pm flight, yes I do blame them for that. I carry-on 99%+ of the time so maybe I'm unaware of common airline checked baggage practice but shouldn't US have automatically put my bag on the next/final PHL flight that night? Was I and/or the gate agent supposed to have done something to make that happen? The only thing I could think of us is that the baggage handlers weren't aware that there was an even later flight to PHL. But w/ PHX being a hub, I would think they'd know that kind of stuff.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:02 am

USAirways PHX to OGG Seat 9D

This is a 757-200. The seat is an exit row and gets mixed reviews on Seat Guru. Any opinions?

Thanks..
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mm03172
This is a 757-200. The seat is an exit row and gets mixed reviews on Seat Guru. Any opinions?

Thanks..
The leg room is great, but if it is the one with the 2 seats, instead of 3 then they seem a bit tighter than the usual seat. So you might be cozying up with the person next to you.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:41 am

All my fVorite y seats are taken. My choice seems to between the bulkhead aisle (5c) and rear exit row aisle (27d). Thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
All my fVorite y seats are taken. My choice seems to between the bulkhead aisle (5c) and rear exit row aisle (27d). Thoughts?
Bulkhead aisle ... you get to deplane quicker ... and there is a slight chance you will get a cup of wine left over from FC (I did once).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Don't know what the way-back exit aisle is like on that plane, but I did check out 5C on those flights and it seems pretty serviceable.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:50 am

5c it is. Thanks. I was trying to talk myself into a seat where I wouldn't see the mirth and bliss just one row ahead, but I suppose it is the best option.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
I'll be on the flight from PHX to HNL in a few days... can somebody confirm if this aircraft is the same configuration they use to Cancun from Phoenix? Is there a divider between row 5 and 8 (kind of like a 2nd cabin after FC)?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.