Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Legacy US Airways "East" "Transatlantic" ETOPS version of Boeing 757-200 (B75E)

Up front: This aircraft had three rows of 2 x 2 "Envoy" class 60" pitch, 19.5" wide angled flat seats in 2 x 2 configuration (12 seats).

Originally Posted by arc727
4 Dec 2017 So, interestingly enough, there are no more 757s flying around in the "East" configuration. The last one, N941UW, was retired just a few days ago. Meanwhile, N939UW and N206UW were converted to the "Hawaii" configuration with domestic First seats.
Link to SeatGuru seating chart.

Seat 1-C from aztimm
  • Seat 3A is said to have impaired recline

• 3D will usually be blocked for the PNF (Pilot Not Flying) on transatlantic flights.

• The forward cabin has one lav forward and port (left).

In Economy: Mostly 32" pitch, 17" width seats in 3 x 3 configuration (170 seats).

The good:
  • The greatest seat pitch is in 7A, B, C and F, with no seats close in front of these because of the exit row. 6C and D are in midst of the exit row.

• Row 24 are exit row seats with great seat pitch.

• All these are narrower, with immovable arm rests holding the folded tray tabe. Exit row seats can be colder. Under seat bags may be restricted in the seats in front of you.
The bad:
  • Row 23 is against the aft bulkhead in this cabin section, against the lavs; they do not recline.

• Row 32 is the last row and close to the galley and it's attendant noise.
Beginning in April 2018, the B75Es will be put on mainland - Hawaii runs where 757-200s are used; the existing B75H will be returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
I was considering travelling this on the PHL-LHR day flight in May this year (on a paid business class ticket). Presumably it's still a seat rather than a bed (flat or angled)? I notice that it has a BA codeshare so I'm surprised it's allowed as part of the AA/BA/IB/AY JBA.

I'll be heading from DCA and this day flight allows a connection from there in time to get the service - I don't think the BA178 does.

As someone used to Club World and the AA Cirrus seat, is this a compromise too far?
The biggest issue would be the lack of a lie flat seat - are you really going to be sleeping for very long on a daytime flight? By flight time, PHL-LHR is only 40ish minutes longer on average compared to a route like PHL-SFO, do you have problems with domestic first on a route like that?

The rumored date of the lie-flat seat requirement in the JBA/JBV is somewhere between July and the end of 2015, at least at the moment (AA/AY/IAG can always renegotiate it or AA could pay whatever penalty is specified), so I'm assuming no 757s will be refurbished by May.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:06 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I was considering travelling this on the PHL-LHR day flight in May this year (on a paid business class ticket). Presumably it's still a seat rather than a bed (flat or angled)? I notice that it has a BA codeshare so I'm surprised it's allowed as part of the AA/BA/IB/AY JBA.
As US is already in the OW alliance, codeshares are not uncommon across all the carriers. The JBA involves a lot more than codesharing, so I don't think that by itself is running afoul of any regs.

If you were used to the previous AA J seats (before the angled lie flats), then that's basically what you can expect with the US Business class seats in the 757. They're not terrible, but also not worth switching to a night time flight 12 hours later just to be in a lie flat suite unless you have the flexibility.

I would personally rather get into LHR late day and sleep soundly in a bed. The 6 or so hours you get of actual sleep on a flight like PHL-LHR isn't all that great in terms of quality anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by lowfareair
The rumored date of the lie-flat seat requirement in the JBA/JBV is somewhere between July and the end of 2015, at least at the moment (AA/AY/IAG can always renegotiate it or AA could pay whatever penalty is specified), so I'm assuming no 757s will be refurbished by May.
While there's been talk of this JV requirement on here by sources who are reliable, I've never seen such announced by AA/IAG - are we sure it exists or doesn't grandfather in certain aircraft or allow a generous timeframe for reconfiguration?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by phlwookie
While there's been talk of this JV requirement on here by sources who are reliable, I've never seen such announced by AA/IAG - are we sure it exists or doesn't grandfather in certain aircraft or allow a generous timeframe for reconfiguration?
No idea what the exact terms or timelines are, but they are approaching. It's why fully flat J seats are being put in AA's 767-300s (resulting in fewer J seats, a row less of MCE, and therefore fewer seats overall). If not for these requirements, these aircraft would not see new seats before heading to the bone yard (and not all 767-300s are being upgraded - just those needed for the joint business agreement).

It also seems lie flat seats are in the works for 757 TATL aircraft (presumably AA & US aircraft). Some insight and educated speculation on the type of seat on travelingbetter.com - and some recent updates on aa.com http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/going-for-great.jsp
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
It also seems lie flat seats are in the works for 757 TATL aircraft (presumably AA & US aircraft). Some insight and educated speculation on the type of seat on travelingbetter.com - and some recent updates on aa.com http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/going-for-great.jsp
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Probably give it all a miss and just schedule a night in NYC/BOS/ORD and get either of the day BA/AA day flights back on a proper aircraft.

I absolutely accept its a day flight so don't "need" it, but it's stuff like having some privacy from your neighbour like you do with Club World and Cirrus.

Got a SCL-MIA coming up so looking forward to trying the new AA 772 refitted aircraft to see what they're like.

I guess if they're going to be refitting the 752s, would make sense to take the F (or J) seats from the A321T?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Probably give it all a miss and just schedule a night in NYC/BOS/ORD and get either of the day BA/AA day flights back on a proper aircraft.

I absolutely accept its a day flight so don't "need" it, but it's stuff like having some privacy from your neighbour like you do with Club World and Cirrus.

Got a SCL-MIA coming up so looking forward to trying the new AA 772 refitted aircraft to see what they're like.

I guess if they're going to be refitting the 752s, would make sense to take the F (or J) seats from the A321T?
I doubt it will be the F seats from the A321T -- those are the same J seats on the 777-300. It could be the J seats from the A321T, but the most credible rumor (again, from JonNYC/travelingbetter.com) is the same new seat going on the 767-300 retrofits (which presents an interesting staggered double-single seat layout).
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I doubt it will be the F seats from the A321T -- those are the same J seats on the 777-300. It could be the J seats from the A321T, but the most credible rumor (again, from JonNYC/travelingbetter.com) is the same new seat going on the 767-300 retrofits (which presents an interesting staggered double-single seat layout).
I highly doubt that will happen. Those seats would need to be certified for the 757, which I can't see being done given the time (or lack of time) some of these planes could be in service. I believe the only J seats certified on the 757 are the A321T J seats, which both United and Delta currently use on some of their 757s.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
No. The rumor was not for those seats on the 763s. It is the seat type/configuration that jetBlue put on their 321 Mint aircraft, where there are 5 rows of seats on each side in a 2/1/2/1/2 configuration for the 5 rows. For a total of 16 J seats. I'm not sure if the staggered window seat configuration on the 763s would allow for 16 J seats in the forward cabin section of the 757. However, that configuration would be great, as it would allow each J seat to have direct aisle access.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
No. The rumor was not for those seats on the 763s. It is the seat type/configuration that jetBlue put on their 321 Mint aircraft, where there are 5 rows of seats on each side in a 2/1/2/1/2 configuration for the 5 rows. For a total of 16 J seats. I'm not sure if the staggered window seat configuration on the 763s would allow for 16 J seats in the forward cabin section of the 757. However, that configuration would be great, as it would allow each J seat to have direct aisle access.
So the Thomson Vantage in the same configuration as the BA (ex-BMI) midhaul 321 aircraft then. That would be fine.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I'm stuck in Y on the 757 to PHL TATL and was wondering what the best possible seats were. After reading this topic I selected the 2 seat row in row 6.
Currently booked in 6D/E. Does anyone have any first hand experience with those seats. Any drawbacks?
Old May 7, 2015, 10:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AAtticus
I'm stuck in Y on the 757 to PHL TATL and was wondering what the best possible seats were. After reading this topic I selected the 2 seat row in row 6.
Currently booked in 6D/E. Does anyone have any first hand experience with those seats. Any drawbacks?
The only drawback to those seats is that they're right across from the door while boarding. People may lean on the seats and such.

I sat in 7F last summer on a PHX-PHL flight, then realized that the legroom you see in the diagrams really isn't there since the exit really does stick out a bit. Last fall I flew on the 757 again, and was in 6E, fantastic seat! You do have a little bit of space beside you, and the pax from 7F can scoot through and in front (I guess that's a drawback).
But you have nearly unlimited legroom, plus underseat storage too.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:55 pm

6DE are hands down the best seats.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:04 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
6DE are hands down the best seats.
+1

I've flown in 6D many times TATL and didn't have Envoy envy at all. Plenty of space and comfort (for a Y seat).
Old May 15, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
You're talking about the same thing. The AA 763 seat and the Jetblue Mint seat are both Thompson Vantage seats.

Last edited by Djokison; May 15, 2015 at 10:00 am
Old May 20, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How bad is the 757 from PHL to AMS in economy?

Had to make a last minute booking and I'm not too familiar with what the US upgrade policies are as an AA Platinum.

From what I can see should I expect eight hours of misery, being 6'2"? Doesn't look like I can get an exit row or anything either. Have not flown US TATL, so not sure of what the soft product is (though I am not expecting much) for the eight+ hour flight. Honestly a little shocked that they are flying those things, any chance of an equipment swap for a 330?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.