Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The 'MoveUp' program on US, Standby, Same day confirmed (merged) [master thread]

The 'MoveUp' program on US, Standby, Same day confirmed (merged) [master thread]

Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: US dirt (former CP), Marriott Gold, UA Prem Exec, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pyite
Lately I have noticed that gate agents have been less inclined to add my name to the standby list. I am really not sure why, but the only thing I can think of is that they want to give the seats to FA friends, as several times I have seen attendants 'cleared'.

Thoughts?
I ran into this around Veteran's day... the gate agent wouldn't even hear from me saying she was oversold by at least 5 people for all flights until the flight I was scheduled on (this was PHL>CLT which runs flights about every hour and a half). As a Chairman, I was a bit surprised that she wouldn’t even let me try (with whatever miniscule odds I had of getting on). Perhaps one cannot even try to standby on an oversold flight?

Not sure about having attendants clear standby, but I understand that many attendants must get a seat on certain flights, as their next work flight requires them to begin in another city (their commute is on a plane, whereas mine is by car).
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Originally Posted by kudzu
It's rare for me to do a standby, but yesterday SFO-CLT I tried a MoveUp and the flight was full (wasn't so when I checked half hour earlier!). Agent gladly offered to put me on standby list, but I declined in favor of a confirmed seat on the next flight out (as luck would have it, I got a battlefield upgrade when a confirmed FC pax didn't show up).

I guess it happens when an agent thinks a standby is not likely to clear (but that's no excuse for not simply entering another name on the list).
I try to fly standby every Thursday, and 9/10 I am cutting it really close, but still plenty of time to add me to the standby list. In my opinion, that's kind of the whole point of a standby list. Its a list that you go on in case a seat opens up. If there isn't an available seat, then I go on my merry way.

Originally Posted by dvanrip
I ran into this around Veteran's day... the gate agent wouldn't even hear from me saying she was oversold by at least 5 people for all flights until the flight I was scheduled on (this was PHL>CLT which runs flights about every hour and a half). As a Chairman, I was a bit surprised that she wouldn’t even let me try (with whatever miniscule odds I had of getting on). Perhaps one cannot even try to standby on an oversold flight?

Not sure about having attendants clear standby, but I understand that many attendants must get a seat on certain flights, as their next work flight requires them to begin in another city (their commute is on a plane, whereas mine is by car).
I can't believe that they can't add you to a list of an oversold flight.

I also toyed with the idea of adding my name to the standby list at checkin instead of at the gate, but I'm not sure if that would really do any good or not.

The worst part about the whole situation is that when I am able to get on the list, I actually get on the flight 100% of the time.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: US dirt (former CP), Marriott Gold, UA Prem Exec, Hyatt Plat
I can't believe that they can't add you to a list of an oversold flight.

I also toyed with the idea of adding my name to the standby list at checkin instead of at the gate, but I'm not sure if that would really do any good or not.

The worst part about the whole situation is that when I am able to get on the list, I actually get on the flight 100% of the time.
I didn’t think it made sense either, but that was the reason the gate agent gave me. FWIW, I asked at check-in, too, and that agent told me to check at the gate. In hindsight, I maybe should have pressed harder on both agents, but c'est la vie.

I'm also roughly 100% clearing on Move-Up/Standby, when they add me to the list (which, in my experience, they'll typically do more than 90% of the time).
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, *A Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
additional legs?

Can legs be added to a MoveUp? I have a flight on Thursday CLT-ORD, leaving late in the afternoon but finished most of my work early this week. I could easily get to the airport as early as need be for an earlier flight.

I see that there's a CLT-RDU-PHL-ORD, each with numerous seats available. Since the starting and ending cities are the same, would they go for this? There's also a CLT-PHL-ORD with some space.

The blurb on USAirways.com doesn't really address this exact idea.

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: None
Yes they can, as long as the agent can assign you a seat on all the new segments. There can be a little agent roulette involved if the new routing gets you to your destination later than the original routing. An experienced agent would probably need no more explanation than that you need an extra segment for status while someone new might not allow it.

There's also a practical consideration with weather moving into the east this week - the more connections the greater the chance of a misconnect.

Jim
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, *A Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Thanks Jim!

I'm rethinking the idea, as I've heard that connecting through PHL can be rough this time of year. Plus I have a leg on United after i get to ORD, and from my understanding I can't fly standby or MoveUp on United metal? An extra leg or two isn't worth missing that last leg if something were to go wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Connection times?

Can I move up to an earlier flight on just one segment of a multi-segment flight?

For example, say I have a connection in PHX and I'd like a longer layover because a friend wants to meet me at the airport for lunch. Can I take an earlier flight to PHX but keep my original connecting flight? Is it a problem if the new connection time exceeds 4 hours (the usual limit for connection times)?

ml
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by musiclover
Can I move up to an earlier flight on just one segment of a multi-segment flight?

For example, say I have a connection in PHX and I'd like a longer layover because a friend wants to meet me at the airport for lunch. Can I take an earlier flight to PHX but keep my original connecting flight? Is it a problem if the new connection time exceeds 4 hours (the usual limit for connection times)?

ml
Although it technically doesn't qualify under the Move Up program, I have been able to successfully do this.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Because of a schedule change USAir changed my flight to 5pm from LGA.
Against my better judgement I agreed to the 5pm since I had originally scheduled an early evening flight out of LGA. What was I thinking scheduling an early evening flight out of LGA in January!
When I opened the new itinerary up on line it now shows the outbound in Y. Now that it is in Y can I call and change that to a morning flight to avoid January LGA weather delays without cost?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Not necessarily specific to the move up program, but do the gate agents have the orange star priority tags? 9/10 i have to gate check my bag.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Question Miles earned when moving up?

Here's an esoteric question: if you moveup to an earlier flight and this results in your itinerary having two flight numbers instead of one, do you get miles for the two flights or one?

E.g., it's possible to fly PHX-CLT-FRA as one flight # (US 704), but you could also fly it as two flight #'s (e.g., US 304 + 704). If you moved up to the earlier PHX-CLT flight, would you earn miles as if you had originally booked two flight segments?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Not necessarily specific to the move up program, but do the gate agents have the orange star priority tags? 9/10 i have to gate check my bag.
Are you referring to USX or mainline?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle
Although it technically doesn't qualify under the Move Up program, I have been able to successfully do this.
Or what if you cleared for an upgrade on the later segment?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by musiclover
Here's an esoteric question: if you moveup to an earlier flight and this results in your itinerary having two flight numbers instead of one, do you get miles for the two flights or one?
You get miles for what you move up to - if you successfully move up you become the same as another passenger who booked the earlier flight to start with.

The same would apply to moving up from a non-stop to connecting flights, i.e. moving up from EWR-PHX non-stop to a EWR-CLT-PHX connection (but not if EWR-CLT-PHX was a direct flight - same flight number with a stop.

Jim
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:04 am

I may try a move up this Friday -it would get me on a non-turboprop plane out of Binghamton plus the upgrade odds on my original PHL-BOS flight are looking very slim (exit row and all preferred seats were full at the Platinum window...)

Some of the earlier flight I could get on to look like there are fewer elites and First is wide open at the Platinum window. How do upgrades work for move ups?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.