Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by discretely
I'm unable to locate my companion certificate (misplaced it or it got thrown away). I'm nearing the 6 months expiration date from when I opened my account.

Has anyone had any luck receiving a replacement companion certificate? If so, how did you go about getting one?

Do they send a new certificate after 6 months if you haven't used it, or is it only once per year?

Thanks FT!
See if Barclays will give you the code -- that's all you need. The codes are unique to each cert. You don't need to send the cert in, based on my experience -- they ask you to send the cert in but they ticket everything immediately.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by masonuc
See if Barclays will give you the code -- that's all you need. The codes are unique to each cert. You don't need to send the cert in, based on my experience -- they ask you to send the cert in but they ticket everything immediately.
Agreed. Last year, I did not receive my certificates after their initial mailing of them. Eventually, one of the Barclay agents gave me the codes over the phone and I was able to book the flights without issue. I have been told that the agents are not suppose to give out the codes or fear for their job (as told to me by one of the agents this year). Don't know if that is true or not. When in doubt, keep calling and keep asking. Good luck!

Side note: it would save Barclay time and money if they just issued the codes electronically as opposed to the current brick and mortar method and would allow us to use the certificates sooner.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Has anyone experienced issue where only 1-2 seats are left in the lowest fare class? I am trying to use my companion certificate to purchase a ticket for myself and 2 companions, but there is only one seat left at the lowest price. I have tried calling twice and both agents quoted me the (significantly) higher fare that you would get if you enter 3pax on usairways.com. I explained it was cheaper for one person, but they said the system will not allow them to do that, even though the price of the 2nd and 3rd ticket should not matter.

Has anyone had success with this?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ctrsara
Does anyone have experience booking the over-$250 ticket plus the two companion passes for someone other than the cardholder? I can't find anything in the fine print that says it has to be the cardholder flying, just "purchasing" the ticket. My dad got this card and wants to use it to fly my two children and I out for my little brother's wedding. Do you still have to CALL to book the companion passes? That really does seem like false advertising on their part, if the tickets actually cost $124...
Same question... anyone? bueller?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Does anyone have experience booking the over-$250 ticket plus the two companion passes for someone other than the cardholder? I can't find anything in the fine print that says it has to be the cardholder flying, just "purchasing" the ticket. My dad got this card and wants to use it to fly my two children and I out for my little brother's wedding. Do you still have to CALL to book the companion passes? That really does seem like false advertising on their part, if the tickets actually cost $124...
The companion certificate can only be booked over the phone anyways, so I'm not really sure what you are getting it. Your dad should call and try to book the three tickets and see if there are any issues. My hunch though is it would be fine.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by doctor15
Has anyone experienced issue where only 1-2 seats are left in the lowest fare class? I am trying to use my companion certificate to purchase a ticket for myself and 2 companions, but there is only one seat left at the lowest price. I have tried calling twice and both agents quoted me the (significantly) higher fare that you would get if you enter 3pax on usairways.com. I explained it was cheaper for one person, but they said the system will not allow them to do that, even though the price of the 2nd and 3rd ticket should not matter.

Has anyone had success with this?
Since the tickets all are booked in the same fare class, unfortunately you are out of luck unless more seats at that price become available. Other than seeing if there is another flight with that fare available for the 3 of you that day unfortunately there is no work around I am aware of.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:33 pm

I have no status with US, but am *G and I do have a DM World MC. Looking for a ticket to Canada, but in order to use the certificate one must call and book by phone. That incurs a fee, correct? Luggage should not be a problem since MrsEX is *G as well.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
No phone fee to use the companion certificate.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
No phone fee to use the companion certificate.
Thanks for the reply^
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:49 am

Well, just called and asked about this... (typical USAir, got a nasty response... damn I hate this airline)... Anyhow, was told that I have to travel with the other two companion fares... Also told that if I don't show up for either leg of flight that they would be upcharged to full fares....
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Upcharged to full fare? That sounds like BS to me. Anyways, doesnt one of the new DOT regs say airlines cant come back and charge you more after youve purchased a ticket?

You can always have US split the reservation after its purchased if travel schedules change.

Originally Posted by mskuse
Well, just called and asked about this... (typical USAir, got a nasty response... damn I hate this airline)... Anyhow, was told that I have to travel with the other two companion fares... Also told that if I don't show up for either leg of flight that they would be upcharged to full fares....
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:18 pm

blackout dates

Anyone have the companion certificate blackout dates for December/January. I won't receive my annual certificate until June. I would like to make some other travel reservations before the certificate arrives.

Thanks a bunch
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by scoker
Anyone have the companion certificate blackout dates for December/January. ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, scoker ^

Systemwide Blackout December 2012 dates:
Dec 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30

Sorry, I don't have the January 2013 blackout dates...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:26 pm

thanks kudzu! Usually the January blackout dates are the few days following the first so this gives me a good idea of when I will be able to use the certificate. I travel a lot with ff miles so I'm thinking I can pick up some great tips here!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by scoker
...Usually the January blackout dates are the few days following the first ...
That would be true of January 2011 blackout dates (Jan 2, 3, 4)

January 2012 blackout dates were Jan 7, 8 only, so you could travel right after New Year's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.