Canceling USAirways MasterCard

Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:49 pm

I called about cancelling the card and told them I was switching to AA Citi Card since fee was coming due. Was offered all the current benefits with a $0 annual fee but no bonus miles for any spend after speaking with retention.

I have ~30k annual spend on the "World Elite" card and pay the balance in full each month and have had the card since 06.

I kept the card with their offer.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by boxedlunch
Well, closed the account today (4 days annual fee payment was due). Was offered exactly zilch to stick around, not even a downgrade. Guess I'll take the 10k miles that posted and run.
if you cancel before paying AF but after 10k have been posted to USDM account, doesn't Barclays clawback those 10k?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sugashane3
I called about cancelling the card and told them I was switching to AA Citi Card since fee was coming due. Was offered all the current benefits with a $0 annual fee but no bonus miles for any spend after speaking with retention.
I kept the card with their offer.
I was offered (about 2 days before AF is due to post, but after the 10K miles have already hit) $0 annual fee for next year, plus a (small) bonus offer of one extra mile per dollar for 90 days on utilities, gas and grocery.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slocouple
I was offered (about 2 days before AF is due to post, but after the 10K miles have already hit) $0 annual fee for next year, plus a (small) bonus offer of one extra mile per dollar for 90 days on utilities, gas and grocery.
I have only had the card about 4 months as I am switching over from Delta and wanted to avoid baggage fees until I regain status.

A month ago I received an offer for 15,000 miles for $750 spend in Dec, Jan & Feb. Today I received an offer for 15,000 miles for $750 spend in Jan, Feb & Mar. I called and confirmed that $750 in each of the 4 months will net 30,000 miles.

I put very little effort into accumulating miles as I don't value them much, but this was easy to pull some spend from my cash back card to pick up some easy miles without having to acquire another card.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I called to cancel one of my two cards today - was given the following.

- Fee waiver for 1 year.

- 10K miles for $3K in new purchases in the next 90 days.

- 0% APR on all purchases through 9/1/15.

I happily accepted.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Is it possible to message them online to cancel? Don't want to give agents extra work to do.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:01 pm

Is cancelling a US Airways Mastercard difficult?

I've had an American Airlines Citi Mastercard since the beginning of time. A few months ago I got a US Airways Mastercard just to get the 50,000 mile sign up gift.
I certainly do not want to pay the yearly charges for both cards. When I call to cancel the US Airways card in a few months, will the US Airways people be difficult to deal with? j747
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
It's easy.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:22 pm

They may route you to someone in customer retention if you say you want to cancel, but it's not like calling Comcast. It's their job to get you to keep the card by offering you something of value to you--like waiving the annual fee, giving you extra points, or both--and doing so politely.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

you can make life easy if you wish to by simply writing to the card company with the cancellation request
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You can do it by internal secure message if you have that registered on line. Otherwise the CS number on the back. No issues.

On an internal message you will get a message back confirming. On a call a letter in the mail confirming you requested cancellation (within a week).
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
It doesn't. It's a common "warning" made by agents who are trying to retain a customer. Poor training or shady practice, who knows.

You'll lose any miles earned since the most recent statement closing date, typically. That's normal across the industry. I surmise this is what the agents really mean but they either don't understand the difference or for some reason it just gets explained this way.

Chase is the one who has been known to pull bonus miles for canceling less than 6 months after opening the credit account but even that's never a certainty.
Current T&Cs says they can claw back miles. But, I have never heard of them doing so.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j747
I've had an American Airlines Citi Mastercard since the beginning of time. A few months ago I got a US Airways Mastercard just to get the 50,000 mile sign up gift.
I certainly do not want to pay the yearly charges for both cards. When I call to cancel the US Airways card in a few months, will the US Airways people be difficult to deal with? j747
Bear in mind 2 things:

a) you can never get it again once you cancel it.
b) if you have both you get 20% back in miles per year from redemptions
up to 20K per year. (after 2nd QT merge of FF program)
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j747
Most people don't have to pay [net] yearly charges for the Citi AA card most years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...all-cards.html

So at the most, you may have to pay the annual fee only for the Barclay US->AA card, but you may be able to get a retention offer for that too (it's just that Barclay is not as dependable in terms of retention offers as Citi is).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.