Checked in online, still zone 5

Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Checked in online, still zone 5

So I checked in online for my flight tmrw and my boarding pass still says Zone 5. I thought all web check ins got Zone 3?

Out of curiosity, is it possible for them to verify which zone you're in? What if I just photoshop my boarding zone number to 3?

Really don't want to board late and have to gate check a bag for my redeye...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
There's a new zone order

Gold and Higher, *G, Exit and Bulkhead get Zone 1.

Silver and Choice seats get Zone 2.

Then Zones 3-5 will be a modified version the reverse pyramid style of boarding that we used to have.

Web check-in no longer is just zone 3, you are assigned a zone based on the location of your seat.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by leejl01
So I checked in online for my flight tmrw and my boarding pass still says Zone 5. I thought all web check ins got Zone 3?

Out of curiosity, is it possible for them to verify which zone you're in? What if I just photoshop my boarding zone number to 3?

I wouldn't recommend photoshopping ANYTHING on a boarding pass unless you like full body cavity searches. Don't give them a reason.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
What if I just photoshop my boarding zone number to 3?
you're also going to be one of those that stands in front of everyone else in zones 1-4 while they're trying to board, aren't you? absolutely ridiculous what some of you people will do just to board a minute or two sooner.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
What if I just photoshop my boarding zone number to 3?
I do not condone this but I have no doubt that this happens with some degree of frequency.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Wow...is it just me but I don't find the zone to be that big of a deal that I would take the time to falsify it. (not to mention the obvious risk)
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:33 am

Oh no, not gate check. Why not just claim you are one of those people who needs special assistance? Half the passengers do.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
If you are so worried about getting a place for your bag just check it. If you are CO Silver there will not be a charge.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE
Star Silver

Originally Posted by Dan6681
If you are so worried about getting a place for your bag just check it. If you are CO Silver there will not be a charge.
If you are indeed CO Silver, you will be able to board in Zone 2 due to Star Alliance Silver status (as long as your OnePass # is on the PNR)

Last edited by GullwingSL; Oct 6, 2010 at 9:58 am
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:17 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I'm sorry if this comes off as snarky, but the idea of photoshopping a boarding pass to get something to which you're not entitled is the kind of idea that reinforces the stereotype of the pushy, obnoxious frequent flier. If you're not entitled to board in Zone 3, what makes it OK to take that privilege anyway?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I'm sorry if this comes off as snarky, but the idea of photoshopping a boarding pass to get something to which you're not entitled is the kind of idea that reinforces the stereotype of the pushy, obnoxious frequent flier. If you're not entitled to board in Zone 3, what makes it OK to take that privilege anyway?

I so agree with you dcpatti. I ran into my first observation of the DYKWIA thing the other day in Melbourne. I found myself staring incredulously at what this woman was saying. So if you are whatever zone you are.... then that is when you board.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Gold and Higher, *G, Exit and Bulkhead get Zone 1.
Not so for exits. At least, not in my experience lately. I almost always sit in an exit row and the only time I get Zone 1 is on the Dash 8's and CRJ's. Every other time it is Zone 2 (DM Silver). Not a big deal regardless, but I wasn't sure if it was just me or something?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I was only curious as to how airlines keep track of boarding zones per passenger besides the boarding pass. I'm a curious person (not that any of the trolls will care).

Originally Posted by GullwingSL
If you are indeed CO Silver, you will be able to board in Zone 2 due to Star Alliance Silver status (as long as your OnePass # is on the PNR)
Unfortunately, *A Silver is not technically listed in the official US Airways boarding announcement. They only mention Silver preferred. I've had boarding agents that have denied me from boarding in Zone 2 even with *A Silver on my boarding pass. (Where's the official policy in writing on this anyways?)

Originally Posted by dcpatti
The idea is not getting something I'm not entitled to. It's fixing something that I thought the US Airways site messed up that I am entitled to.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:01 am

Programs: None
The idea is not getting something I'm not entitled to. It's fixing something that I thought the US Airways site messed up that I am entitled to.
As you say, it appears that OLCI no longer gets one a higher boarding priority. Your profile doesn't show *Silver, but if you have that it also doesn't appear to give you boarding priority unless it's US or UA Silver (which may also apply to CO Silver since they're merging with UA).

Personally, I wouldn't risk altering the BP.

Jim
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:02 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Confirming that you're really entitled to it fitst, and looking for more straightforward ways to fix it (as opposed to applying your own self-help that's basically document forgery) would probably not evoke suck a powerfully negative reaction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.