Wiki Posts
Search

PQM on United?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
PQM on United?

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I'm new to trying to earn status. I know US Airways is partners in Star Alliance (and codeshare partners) with United. However, in looking on US Air's website, I can't find a confirmation that any miles earned on United and credited to my DM account are preferred qualifying. I'm assuming they are, but want to be sure before I book. I have a few transcons coming up and United's schedule is better than US's. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Yes. Base miles of flights - if the fare qualifies - are always preferred-qualifying. With UA, just about every revenue fare counts I believe. And of course if you fly in premium cabins you earn more than 100% PQM's.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../airlines.html
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. That link was where I was looking but it didn't say anything about them being preferred qualifying and I wanted to be positive. FT has made me qute the miles junkie!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtb226
Thanks. That link was where I was looking but it didn't say anything about them being preferred qualifying and I wanted to be positive. FT has made me qute the miles junkie!
If you are going to be flying UA more than US you might consider banking to UA. With UA even the lowest elite trier gets free economy plus and this is definitely a nice feature on transcons and international flights. Depending on your travel patterns you might want to consider this.

I prefer US over UA but on longer flights the economy plus would be nice.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

No this is more of a one-off type thing. I'll definitely be flying US over UA for the forseeable future.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
what about the 500mi minimums... Is it honored on UA flights? Is it also honored by other *A partners, AC for example?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by ariyo15
what about the 500mi minimums... Is it honored on UA flights? Is it also honored by other *A partners, AC for example?
It's somewhere on the website, not in the most obvious place most people look first, and I can't find it right now...

...but you will get 500 mile minimum as a preferred on UA and LH only. That's the rule - I however have received 500 mile minimum on TK but that was likely a mistake. It actually says you get the 500 miles plus preferred bonus on CO which of course doesn't exist on paper now, but I know it said it somewhere for UA and LH too. A long time ago it used to only apply to UA metal.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ariyo15
I've received the 500 mile minimum (plus status bonus miles) on UA and BD.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Yes. Base miles of flights - if the fare qualifies - are always preferred-qualifying. With UA, just about every revenue fare counts I believe. And of course if you fly in premium cabins you earn more than 100% PQM's.

Worth note: Be careful on discounted business class fares (usually a Z fare). On US and LH/LX a Z fare earns 150% COS bonus whereas on UA and CO it is only the 100%. On AC it's 125%. Booking the LH code-share on UA helps.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Can I select E+ if I'm US SP? Also, if I decided to move to UA, would they do a status match or could I move my miles over to have Premier status on UA? Kind of a toss up honestly, but E+ would be a great option to have.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jtb226
Can I select E+ if I'm US SP? Also, if I decided to move to UA, would they do a status match or could I move my miles over to have Premier status on UA? Kind of a toss up honestly, but E+ would be a great option to have.
E+ is not free for US Preferred members. UA did a status match for me earlier in the year, but they give you 90 days to hit a certain # of miles (mine was 7500 miles). If they still offer it, t's a once-in-a-lifetime match so make sure you're going to hit those miles before you ask for it.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:40 am
Original Poster

I think I'll stick with US for now. Shorter drive if I get stranded (3.5 hrs from PHL) and generally quite a bit cheaper for personal travel from the airports I fly from. Plus, I can get exit row on US which is usually close enough to E+ I would think.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Actually one of the great unheard benefits with US is that all partner flights count for EQM, even non-Star. Found out I become silver after a QR flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.