Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Musical Instruments on US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
There's a term for that type of "contract" but it escapes me at the moment. The point, however, is that they don't always hold up in court. I suspect that a small claims court claim would be successful since no where on the website does it say that damaged "fragile" items will not be covered at any time. Rather, the website makes it clear that US will accept "fragile" items as checked baggage (normal or valet) as long as the item is properly packaged. And who would make the determination? The agent who did not have BobbieMusic complete the waiver of liability form as stipulated on the US website.

BTW, I thought US had standardized it's baggage policy. Mainline/Republic flights didn't do valet check any more while the other Express did. Was I mistaken?

Jim
In business school, I think they referred to this as an "exculpatory clause", and they are not always binding. I think the example typically given is the valet parking attendant who wrecks your car and is supposedly free from liability because of what is written on the claim check.

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by flight62
Have had many guitars on the airplane. Simply ask the agent if you can board early. Again, some agents are nicer about it. But do NOT put it in FC. Geez, we barely have enough room for the FC passengers bags, mustless a guitar taking up an entire bin.
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Well we know that United Breaks Guitars, and from what I'm hearing apparently US does as well. Worth the risk? I think not, what would FedEx run RT?
Two excellent pieces of advice I hadn't thought about but which we are following. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:46 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Anyone had any experience lately ... ? Thinking about son taking guitar 320/757/757/321 ; let's assume all in F. Concern is that with 4 flights, only takes one bad situation (truculent GA or FA, IRROPS) to lead to unwanted check-in ....
I flew 734/145 with a bass last month. In F for first leg, was told no problem. put it in the overhead, still had room for 2 other people's bags on top. So if you have a slimmer case this works out nicely in terms of not hogging the bin. Even if a GA or FA makes you check it in, you get a blue valet tag (on mainline) instead of checked to final destination. One of the bullet points on the back of the blue tag is musical instrument. Gate check is better than all of the rough handling a standard bag can face. As for express for future readers/reference, yellow tag is a must. Still, every interaction I had with it in terms of gate checking (both CLT, and AGS), people cared for it in the utmost fashion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.