Wiki Posts
Search

"Direct" flight more trouble than it's worth

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
"Direct" flight more trouble than it's worth

38 minutes and counting (mostly on hold) with the Chairman's line has taught me never to book a direct flight on US

Wanted to book SAN-PHX-MCO (Flt 569) for 6/28 but wanted different seats on each leg of the flight - so I called the CP line to verify I could do this. "No problem" she says. So I book, call back, and get the same "no problem, let me take care of that". After 39 minutes, 2 supervisors and a trainer they were finally able to do it.

Here's the fun part! I check award tickets to see what upgrades may look like, 25k F award tickets are available on 569 SAN-PHX and 569 PHX-MCO, but not on 569 SAN-MCO???

I'll report back on Monday, but I'm guessing someone either connecting or non-stop from PHX is going to be getting my upgrade.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
The award/upgrade inventory thing is odd. That's ridiculous.

But I wouldn't book "direct" flights ever. You're getting mileage SAN-MCO instead of SAN-PHX-MCO. With the 500 mile minimum, you're only missing out on about 200 miles on that particular routing but even that can make or break your status when December 31 rolls around! Unless you've already qualified for CP for next year, then I guess it doesn't matter.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
No, this is NOT odd. Apparently, the seats on SAN-PHX and PHX-MCO are worth more than the through SAN-MCO -- which is a distinct possibility. Say the lowest fare from SAN-MCO is $199, but the lowest fare from SAN-PHX is $79 and from PHX-MCO is $189. If there were demand for all three itineraries, I would take the SAN-PHX and the PHX-MCO over the through SAN-MCO .

Very sound decision making by US!^
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I've never tried it, but heard a rumor you can avoid the whole Direct flight issue by booking a multicity ticket with the hub in the middle. I think you need to call or use Expedia or other website because US Airways.com won't price it correctly.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Sure enough got the No Upgrade was available email this AM. Upgrade seats still available PHX-MCO but I didn't get one because none are available SAN-PHX. I'll see what the CP line can do...

Thanks for the suggestion jfunk. Hadn't thought of using expedia or other 3rd party site to book the multi-city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.