Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways start service - CLT - ROME - Today - pls .comment

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ffI
+1
especially with the NJ and mid atlantic traffic, either DEL or BOM will be possible.
Even for the midwest and the west coast, this will add connecting traffic as well.
Hopefully BOM! ^

Gives us an alternative to flying LH, on an American carrier.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: AA P, UA PP, LH FT, IHG G, Hilton G, BW P
Originally Posted by geo1005
Compared to the Asian-based carriers this is true. But having flown trans-Pacific on UA several times in C from the US East Coast, I'd be OK with Envoy Suites any day.

That said, we won't see non-stops to China or NRT out of CLT any time soon. The O&D just is not there.

I couldn't agree more with GEO, I shudder to think about very long UA flights in C and avoid them like the plague and would choose the surly attitudes of the US PHL staff for a nice suite anyday, assuming I'm forced to fly a USA carrier, instead of an Asian line
Old May 17, 2010, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
New int only out of CLT

I do believe all new international services including PEK and BOM (if in the works) will be out of CLT not PHL.
So I look to USAirways with huge international expansion out of CLT.
Old May 17, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by sciguy0504
This is where I scratch my head. I would think U.S. would offer a second daily or 5x weekly PHL-FCO flight in order to become a "better" TA carrier. Provide customers with more options. The only route I know of that is double daily is FRA during the summer.
CDG used to be 2x 767 in the summer (this was at least 3-4 years back, though).
Old May 18, 2010, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ACC2008
I do believe all new international services including PEK and BOM (if in the works) will be out of CLT not PHL.
So I look to USAirways with huge international expansion out of CLT.
Huh? Charlotte can't even support year round daily( yes it might operate year round but not daily) service to Paris(not a seasonal market) or Rome and you think there will be expansion to Asia and India from there?. Addtionally, the Charlotte Hub is supported by almost 150+ more flights to feed those routes than Philly. Another stupid question? Where y'all gonna put those planes- translation- where is the new international terminal? Instead Jerry Orr is adding a couple of gates- not a bad idea to keep costs down. Unless Charlotte's O&D traffic more than doubles, I highly doubt there will be more than a couple more European Cities-maybe. I still believe US's South American expansion plans from Charlotte are dicey at best i.e the Gig route is not performing well at all and might not even survive inspite of the Tam Code Share.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lloyds5
Huh? Charlotte can't even support year round daily( yes it might operate year round but not daily) service to Paris(not a seasonal market) or Rome and you think there will be expansion to Asia and India from there?. Addtionally, the Charlotte Hub is supported by almost 150+ more flights to feed those routes than Philly. Another stupid question? Where y'all gonna put those planes- translation- where is the new international terminal? Instead Jerry Orr is adding a couple of gates- not a bad idea to keep costs down. Unless Charlotte's O&D traffic more than doubles, I highly doubt there will be more than a couple more European Cities-maybe. I still believe US's South American expansion plans from Charlotte are dicey at best i.e the Gig route is not performing well at all and might not even survive inspite of the Tam Code Share.

Well it is a hub...US Airways' biggest hub... no one said CLT has more O&D than PHL...but it does have more connecting feed than PHL....ATL couldn't support slews of the flights it has if it had a hub the size of PHL. It's relative. CLT is a growing city and region...as the city grows so to will its O&D.

For all we know CLT could turn into Little China in the future...15 years ago I'm sure if you asked someone if Charlotte one day would have a sizeable Hispanic community they would look puzzeled...Here we are...with a Mexico City flight to boot...instead of PHL because CLT's O&D and feed is actually better.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by DerDolmetscher
Well it is a hub...US Airways' biggest hub... no one said CLT has more O&D than PHL...but it does have more connecting feed than PHL....ATL couldn't support slews of the flights it has if it had a hub the size of PHL. It's relative. CLT is a growing city and region...as the city grows so to will its O&D.

For all we know CLT could turn into Little China in the future...15 years ago I'm sure if you asked someone if Charlotte one day would have a sizeable Hispanic community they would look puzzeled...Here we are...with a Mexico City flight to boot...instead of PHL because CLT's O&D and feed is actually better.
No Clt has Gig and Rio Service not because it has better O&D then Phl its because of its geographical position( if you listened to US last earnings call you would have heard Scott Kirby say that)- that is to say it is more logical to route people South than to route them north to Philly. Lets not even try to compare Atl and Clt, Atl's O&D is multiples the size of Charlotte. If the Hub goes away CLt would probably lose all Tatl service-Philly would lose service to the secondary markets but would always have service to Lhr, Fra, Cdg and maybe FCO and Dub
Old May 18, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
No Clt has Gig and Rio Service not because it has better O&D then Phl its because of its geographical position( if you listened to US last earnings call you would have heard Scott Kirby say that) -
(emphasis mine)

I had listened to the last US earnings call, but don't remember hearing that. All too well I know my ears could have deceived me, so I read the earnings call transcript - nada.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but to be accurate, Kirby made those remarks during a 2009 earnings call in response to an analyst's question
Old May 22, 2010, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
CLT feeders

Charlotte may not be able to fill in planes by itself but being a hub, it will help with flights being fed in.

It is easy to make comments that CLT cannot support flights and GIG and GRU may be cancelled. On the contrary USAirways is in process of working with Brazilian businesses etc. to fill those planes. There is not other carrier offering direct services to the Carolinas and that does help. For example, when we have to fly to Brazil, it was always a hassel to fly in and out of Miami, now we have a direct flight. Once in CLT, we can drive home in less then 2 hours. That is worth talking about!
Old May 22, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Charlotte may not be able to fill in planes by itself but being a hub, it will help with flights being fed in.
!
I, for one, am certainly hopeful that US boosts int'l from CLT, as opposed to having to go thru PHL. Being in PIT, that is a far more attractive option for me.

At least I would feel like I was making southerly prgoress, instead of going east to go south
Old May 22, 2010, 3:17 pm

No Clt has Gig and Rio Service not because it has better O&D then Phl its because of its geographical position( if you listened to US last earnings call you would have heard Scott Kirby say that)- that is to say it is more logical to route people South than to route them north to Philly. Lets not even try to compare Atl and Clt, Atl's O&D is multiples the size of Charlotte. If the Hub goes away CLt would probably lose all Tatl service-Philly would lose service to the secondary markets but would always have service to Lhr, Fra, Cdg and maybe FCO and Dub
read closely...i didnt say clt has better O&D than phl for GIG or GRU...i said it did for Mexico City...

I'm not comparing ATL to CLT...but you do realize ATL metro area at one time was the size of CLT right? Even though that was in the 80s... If CLT continues and the Carolinas continue to grow it's O&D will too...

And compared to major cities which have extensive hub operations...ATL has low O&D. ATL couldn't support a slew of the flights it has without the feed.

Besides geography does play a big role...I'm sure that's why Delta chose ATL to start it's big South American push and not JFK...or wait was it the millions of latinos? Hmm I think it was primarily hub and geography...any business support though is nice.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:04 pm
RNE

I'm a CO flyer; have not flown US in years. Thinking about going CAK-CLT-FCO in late October, in coach. Looks like it's a 767. Any experience anyone can share? Advice? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.