Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how many miles is required for a domestic ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

how many miles is required for a domestic ticket?

Hi all.

How many miles is required for a domestic ticket within the USA?

For excample NYC - BOS?

Hope you can help me.

Kindest regards,
Nalle Gris
Old Apr 23, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
The minimum number would be 25,000 RT for a "low" award this is for travel to continental US (including AK) and Canada. Low awards are hard to come by. Award mileage goes up from there..40,000 RT for medium award and 60,000 RT for a high coach award.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
If you have the U S Airways credit card with DMS (Dividend Miles Select) you can knock off 5000 miles and the awards start at 20K miles.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you both!

I just need one way tickets, are they possible to redeem?

How many miles will I earn on a one way ticket from NYC to Chicago that costs 71 USD?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:59 am

You cannot redeem miles for one way on US. You can however use US miles to redeem for a one way on UA. LGA-ORD = 733 miles according to MileCalc.com
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by vincentvan
You cannot redeem miles for one way on US. You can however use US miles to redeem for a one way on UA. LGA-ORD = 733 miles according to MileCalc.com
Incorrect. While you can actually book one way awards, there is no savings. It's still 25K domestic - you are charged the round trip rate and it doesn't matter if you're booking US or using US miles to book CO or UA. So if one absolutely needs one way, book a round trip with the return as far out as possible just in case you may use it anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Why did you note the distance between LGA-ORD? Are the redemption rates based on distance some how?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Incorrect. While you can actually book one way awards, there is no savings. It's still 25K domestic - you are charged the round trip rate and it doesn't matter if you're booking US or using US miles to book CO or UA. So if one absolutely needs one way, book a round trip with the return as far out as possible just in case you may use it anyway.
No, correct..from the UA website:

The facts
• One-Way Awards are available for both Saver Awards (fewer miles) and Standard Awards (more miles and more flexibility).
• You can use these awards to fly United- or United Express-operated flights only. Sorry, these awards cannot currently be used with our airline partners.
• You must fly the most direct route from origin to destination. That means no stopovers. You can, however, make connections. Tip: If you want to visit multiple cities, you can use multiple One-Way Awards to create your itinerary.
• You can change your award ticket at any time or get a refund before you travel, but know that you may be charged a fee. See fee chart for details
• Complete One-Way Awards rules

Miles required
• The number of miles you’ll need will depend on your origin, destination and award level.
• You will need half the number of miles you would for a roundtrip award ticket.
• With a Saver Award, you’ll need fewer miles. With a Standard Award, you’ll need more miles, but will gain flexibility in dates and can book any seat that is available.
• When you use our award search, miles required will be indicated for each flight, but you can also refer to the One-Way Saver Awards or One-Way Standard Awards charts for a list of miles required by region.

A look at the one way saver chart indicates as low as 12.5k miles for a one way award in NA
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medalion
Do you ned UA miles for this or can you use US Airway miles?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by pcruiser
Do you ned UA miles for this or can you use US Airway miles?
I would assume US miles are fine, as a *A carrier. Nowhere does it state that you can use only Mileage Plus miles..
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Evan!
Why did you note the distance between LGA-ORD? Are the redemption rates based on distance some how?
Because the OP asked how many miles would be earned on a paid ticket from NYC-Chicago..
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:37 am

No, correct..from the UA website:
I believe you're misunderstanding. You've quoted the UA website. That applies to using UA Mileage Plus miles on UA (and will eventually apply to *A) awards.

US does not permit redeeming Dividend Miles for one way awards for 50% of the round trip cost, whether all US metal awards or *A awards. One way awards are bookable by phone only and will be charged at the same rate as round trip.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:50 am

I believe you're misunderstanding. You've quoted the UA website. That applies to using UA Mileage Plus miles on UA (and will eventually apply to *A) awards.

US does not permit redeeming Dividend Miles for one way awards for 50% of the round trip cost, whether all US metal awards or *A awards. One way awards are bookable by phone only and will be charged at the same rate as round trip.
I just spoke with a UA awards reservations agent and she stated you can use *A miles (specifically US miles) to book a one way saver award ticket on UA....the remaining Q is will US actually do it..I'll call CP desk for that answer..you may have me there (the agent asked what airlines miles I was planning to use)

Last edited by vincentvan; Apr 24, 2010 at 8:00 am Reason: more info
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:54 am

I just spoke with a UA awards reservations agent and she stated you can use *A miles (specifically US miles) to book a one way saver award ticket on UA....
You were speaking to UA. If that's what you were told, the agent was incorrect. They have zero control over and no access to Dividend Miles program or your US miles.

You cannot call UA to spend your US miles. You must call US to spend US miles on a UA itinerary. US does not permit one way awards for half the round trip rate.

Go for it - call US and try to book a one way domestic for 12,500 miles on UA. Won't happen.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
You cannot call UA to spend your US miles. You must call US to spend US miles on a UA itinerary. US does not permit one way awards for half the round trip rate.
ArizonaGuy is correct. You can not book a one-way award on UA with US miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.