Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Transportation Voucher Link to this page; Link to Terms and Conditions

A Transportation Voucher is a coupon to be used toward travel on US Airways and US Airways Express. Transportation Vouchers may be valid for stand-by or confirmed travel, one-way or roundtrip passage, and/or coach or first-class accommodations, or for a specified dollar amount.

Redemption instructions
  • Transportation Vouchers may be used toward tickets to any US Airways or US Airways Express destination.
  • To book and redeem your Transportation Voucher, you may contact Reservations at 800-428-4322. Please let the agent know that you have a Transportation Voucher to ensure accurate pricing information. Youll need to have your voucher in hand at the time of purchase.
  • You may also redeem your ticket at any US Airways ticket counter, US Airways City Ticket Office or travel agency. Present the Transportation Voucher with payment.
  • Transportation Vouchers may not be used to purchase a ticket online.

General information and restrictions
  • Travel is not eligible for Dividend Miles credit.
  • Transportation Vouchers are valid for 1 year from the issue date unless noted otherwise.
  • Transportation Vouchers may be combined or used with gift certificates to purchase 1 ticket.
  • Transportation Vouchers are transferable as a gift if a passenger name has not been entered.
  • The value of Transportation Vouchers is not refundable.

Read few first posts for more details, but compare to more recent terms and conditions (linked to above) to assure information is all current.)

updated 10 Mar 2015

Print Wikipost

The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.

Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:49 pm

Just wanted to share my VDB experience/compensation with US Airways:

Sunday, October 20th approx. 10:30am departure
PHX-LAX
VDB Compensation: $325 (pretty good for a short domestic and only a 3 hour wait!)

Got to my later flight and asked the GA if they were oversold, she said yes. When I asked what the compensation was, she said $150, and that was for a flight the next morning! Crazy! GA said it was a "corporate policy" and that there was nothing she could do about the compensation level.

I passed on the $150. I couldn't believe how cheap that offer was for an overnight stay.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
It's probably too early to know, but does anyone have any idea what might happen to Take Flight Certificates once AA/US finally combine systems (i.e. will we be able to use them on AA flights? I assume they'll still be valid to at least be used on US Airways)?

I just got a TFC at IAH yesterday when my flight to PHL was overbooked ($425 TFC). They subsequently rebooked me onto the next flight with an upgrade to first class, but that flight was ultimately cancelled due to the ground hold at PHL.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:22 pm

I know with UA & CO merger, they honored pre-merger vouchers and I think legally they would be obligated too.

I wish they would expedite this process and let us use them on AA flights.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by hellyea
I know with UA & CO merger, they honored pre-merger vouchers and I think legally they would be obligated too.

I wish they would expedite this process and let us use them on AA flights.
Won't that essentially happen in January with code sharing?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:40 am

Only some flights so far are code-shared, not every flight systemwide.

Separate question on VDB vouchers & Extending them:

What happens if you book a fully refundable fare using a VDB voucher and then cancel/refund that ticket? How is the VDB portion refunded? Does this by chance re-issue a voucher with a new expiration date?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by hellyea
Only some flights so far are code-shared, not every flight systemwide.
As of last week, all flights are supposed to be codeshared except some to/from the following countries, which are delayed due to regulatory approval:

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, Israel, Korea, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:25 pm

Are TFC's processed booking fee free? i.e., only taxes and any fare diff.

Last edited by todd-r; Feb 23, 2015 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by todd-r
Are TFC's processed booking fee free? i.e., only taxes and any fare diff.
There is no booking fee when processing a TFC, only taxes and fare difference.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:45 pm

Has there been any update on how US airways vouchers will be applied with the merger. At this point my understanding is that they can only be used for US airways metal. Will there be a point where I can use it on former US metal and AA metal? In other words would it be advantageous to hold the certificate until full merger or not?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mrandrews1
At this point my understanding is that they can only be used for US airways metal. Will there be a point where I can use it on former US metal and AA metal?
You can book any flight with a US flight number. Many AA flight's also have US flight numbers now. These are clearly identified as "Operated by American Airlines" beneath the US flight number.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:18 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Still shaking my head at the logic of USAir with respect to these Take Flight Certificates.

Last week my flight was oversold by 4 and was offered $200 for an overnight stay and flight the next morning.

Today my flight was oversold by 1 and I received a $425 voucher and pushed to Delta where I got to my destination ~2 hours early!

Not complaining but wondering how they determine these things.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Still shaking my head at the logic of USAir with respect to these Take Flight Certificates.
[snip]
Not complaining but wondering how they determine these things.
I was told their computer sets the amount and it cannot be changed so there is no room to negociate.

Did you get meal vouchets?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by todd-r
I was told their computer sets the amount and it cannot be changed so there is no room to negociate.

Did you get meal vouchets?
Yeah, I've heard them basically tell folks "it's set by a computer. Take it or leave it, but I can't change it." I'm really curious, though if it is set by a computer algorithm (if so, the logic behind it... I'm a dork like that) or is it set by someone behind a screen determining what will be paid for each flight.

I didn't ask for meal vouchers. At the station I was leaving from (small sub-station), I've asked for meal vouchers several times and have been told they haven't been given in years. The only place I've had success with getting vouchers is in CLT and BUF.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:04 pm

Don't want to start a new thread but would appreciate input from some more seasoned travelers.

Long story short, flying from Savannah to Providence via Charlotte. Flight was overbooked and they were desperate for a volunteer. I was basically begged because i was a solo traveler with flexible plans and the flight had a lot of families. So i agreed ($425 voucher and hotel for the night) and they will have me on the 5:20 am flight.

The only hotel nearby that has vacancy is the red roof inn. It's the worst hotel I have been in since I was a teenager and would go to parties at a dive hotel. I was given a smoking room, the bed spreads have literal stains on them and the comforter has burn holes in it.

Just to be safe I checked for bedbugs (didn't find any, I assume it's too gross even for them!) and as a precaution left my bag packed and in the bathtub.

My question is this , should i have a reasonable expectation for some type of at least reasonable quality room when being a volunteer bump?

Last edited by Trinob; Apr 11, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Looking like my flight this Saturday #742 PHL-BCN is zeroed out.

I'm new to the US/AA world and just wondering what one would expect to be offered if the flight is indeed oversold? On Delta, int'l flights like this would start at about $600.

Also--anyone have any luck negotiating a J seat when rebooked as part of compensation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.