Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Transportation Voucher Link to this page; Link to Terms and Conditions

A Transportation Voucher is a coupon to be used toward travel on US Airways and US Airways Express. Transportation Vouchers may be valid for stand-by or confirmed travel, one-way or roundtrip passage, and/or coach or first-class accommodations, or for a specified dollar amount.

Redemption instructions
  • Transportation Vouchers may be used toward tickets to any US Airways or US Airways Express destination.
  • To book and redeem your Transportation Voucher, you may contact Reservations at 800-428-4322. Please let the agent know that you have a Transportation Voucher to ensure accurate pricing information. Youll need to have your voucher in hand at the time of purchase.
  • You may also redeem your ticket at any US Airways ticket counter, US Airways City Ticket Office or travel agency. Present the Transportation Voucher with payment.
  • Transportation Vouchers may not be used to purchase a ticket online.

General information and restrictions
  • Travel is not eligible for Dividend Miles credit.
  • Transportation Vouchers are valid for 1 year from the issue date unless noted otherwise.
  • Transportation Vouchers may be combined or used with gift certificates to purchase 1 ticket.
  • Transportation Vouchers are transferable as a gift if a passenger name has not been entered.
  • The value of Transportation Vouchers is not refundable.

Read few first posts for more details, but compare to more recent terms and conditions (linked to above) to assure information is all current.)

updated 10 Mar 2015

Print Wikipost

The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.

Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:48 am

I have one of these vouchers worth $450. Since it's transferable, I assume that I can sell it. I tried craigslist, but all I got were lowball offers. Is there any other place that I could try to sell it? It's valid until March 28, 2011, so I have plenty of time.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
They have definitely changed the vouchers since I got mine back in April 2009. When I recently flew, no mention was made of a free round trip, only a dollar amount voucher to be used on USAirways.

Very interesting that from LAX/PHX outbound, the amount offered was $250, while on the return it was $125. There doesn't seem to be much consistency in the amounts.
Old May 10, 2010, 2:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I used a $150 one today, although it took 45 minutes on the phone.

I had selected a one-way itin on the website, three segments (two codeshares on United metal, and one US metal), for $146

I then call reservations and the very nice man who worked very slowly initially told me that the cost of this itin would be $460.

I said (more politely than this): "Huh?????"

He kept putting me on hold and twice returned from hold to tell me that it was not possible to fare the itin at $146.

I asked him to please consult with a supervisor. Finally, he comes back and says "My supervisor did something, I'm not sure what, but now your cost is $146).

Then, another ten minutes of typing and typing and typing to actually ticket the itin.

This matches my experience with the only other time I've booked a US ticket recently; the phone CSRs couldn't see anything like the fare that the website was quoting (that one finally had to be escalated to Executive Services).

Maybe this rigamarole is the way that US ensures a high breakage rate on these Take Flight vouchers, but I surely would think that the costs in staff time are exorbitant compared to a simple system where you could use vouchers on the website!
Old May 23, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
So these vouchers cant be used online?
Old May 23, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Per the Take Flight Certificate Terms and Conditions...

6. Call US Airways Reservations if you have any questions about the use of the certificate and/or to make your reservation. Inform them that you will be using a Take Flight Certificate.
7. Redeem this certificate at any US Airways ticketing location.
8. You will need picture identification to use this certificate.

I've never had trouble using them over the phone. I've never had to give the 4 digit PIN number unless the booking was for someone other than myself (same as name on the original PNR as referenced on Voucher).

I did have to argue last week that "Codeshare Flights Permitted" means just that... I was ticketing a trip to Hawaii and using a voucher that had a end connection on a US Codeshare with Hawaiin Airlines. I had to argue and make the Chairman's agent check. I was right.

Originally Posted by yuel
So these vouchers cant be used online?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile VDB $ Amount for last Flight of the Day

Oh Wise US FTers

Am I to understand that if you accept a VDB on the last flight of the day, the amount is only $125 to $150 ?? Does anyone have any other experience with VDB's on the last flight of the day ?

Also, do the amounts differ on the US Express Flights (i.e. planes with less than 50 seats? ??
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
The amounts seem to vary by how badly they need the seats. Last week, they were offering $650 plus hotel to overnight in PHL to deal with an oversell on the last PHL-SJU, and $350 plus hotel for my PHL-DFW, also last of the night (to take a 24 hr delay to the same flight the next day). I actually don't think I've seen an offer under $200 recently.

Last year I took a $400 VDB in BNA (w/out hotel, didn't need one) for an Express 50-seat CRJ on a midafternoon flight, going out the next morning. I don't know if there's a different scale by equipment type, but I suspect that it's much more driven by their need for your seat and how long it will take them to transport you more than anything else.

Incidentally, I would say that I'm surprised I'm not seeing more VDB scenarios than I am given how full most flights are. Of the past 8 weeks, flying every Sun eve/Mon AM and Thu/Fri PM, I've only seen 3 offers on my flights. Every seat appeared to be taken on each flight.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Anyone have experience getting the gate agent to split the voucher into two? that is, if they offer $400, will they issue two $200 vouchers? Many of my commutes these days are pricing $200-$300, so if VDB'd I'd rather not waste the voucher...
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat
Question Is selling the voucher permissible?

I never saw a definite answer on the sale of the TFC voucher, but looking at my voucher and looking at the T&Cs on the US website (shown below)... nothing states that selling the voucher is forbidden. Also, they explicitly state that transfers (prior to redemption) are permissible.

So does the FlyerTalk crowd think they're safe to sell on eBay? (Note: Nothing on eBay's T&Cs for travel vouchers prohibits the sale either.)

Take Flight Certificate

How to use

1.May be transferred to another individual prior to redemption.
2.Exchange for one roundtrip ticket in coach class of service on US Airways, US Airways Express and US Airways Shuttle.
3.Roundtrip travel is authorized between any one origin city and any one destination city served by the above airlines. Travel must be via the most direct routing available.
4.The original oversold flight segment (origin & destination) determines the region in which the Roundtrip Flight Credit may be used. The region divisions are Region 1 (Contiguous 48 states), Region 2 (Canada/Latin America/Mexico/Caribbean plus Region 1) and Region 3 (Europe/Alaska/Hawaii plus region 1 and 2).
5.Travel dates must be determined prior to ticketing.
6.Call Reservations if you have any questions about the use of this voucher and/or to make your reservations. Inform them you will be using this voucher.
7.Redeem this voucher at any US Airways ticketing location.
8.You will need picture identification to use this award.

Not allowed

1.No stopovers permitted.
2.Prepaid Ticket Service (PTA) not permitted.
3.Not applicable towards a US Airways Vacations package.
4.Dividend Mileage accrual does not apply.

Additional information

1.Travel is subject to availability. Voucher seats are limited and may not be available on every flight.
2.The voucher and subsequent tickets issued against it are non-refundable and have no cash value.
3.Not replaceable if lost, stolen or destroyed.
4.Once the voucher is redeemed, it is non-transferable.
5.Changes are subject to a service charge. All terms and conditions must be met.
6.Once ticketed, travel will be restricted to the region that corresponds to the ticketed city pairs.
7.All applicable taxes, surcharges and fees are the responsibility of the user and must be paid at the time of ticket issuance.
8.Voucher must be redeemed within one year from date of issue.
9.Terms and conditions of this voucher are subject to change without notice.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by phlwookie
The amounts seem to vary by how badly they need the seats.
One more data point, from talking with the guy next to me in line to board PHL-FRA in early June. He'd accepted a bump when they were 10 people over maximum, and received $700+ (I want to say $780? - I assume it was credit), a hotel room, and meal vouchers for the airport. He had listened as one agent instructed the other on how to process his bump, and had thought from the conversation that he would be in business class. He wasn't, although they did give him a bulkhead seat.

As others have suggested, I think it depends on how desperate they are. Across from where we were waiting to board, there was a flight to Manchester, UK which had a series of announcements requesting voluntary bumps.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:34 am

Post $175 + hotel, last flight of day

Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh Wise US FTers

Am I to understand that if you accept a VDB on the last flight of the day, the amount is only $125 to $150 ?? Does anyone have any other experience with VDB's on the last flight of the day ?

Also, do the amounts differ on the US Express Flights (i.e. planes with less than 50 seats? ??
I took a VDB from a US Express flight this week and received $175 + a hotel for the night in Philly.

The hotel (motel, really) was sketchy - somewhat far from PHL, dirty and mechanically trashed shuttle bus, outside room entrances. And the final comment from the guy at check-in (at 12:30am) was "Have a good time". I found that kind of funny. The room looked just like the one in "No Country For Old Men" where Llewelyn hid the money...

At PHL yesterday I heard them offering $100 for a PHL-BWI flight if people would bump to one about 6 hours later.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:25 am

What to do with unused $500 US voucher?

I have a $500 US voucher that will expire in the spring, but it's looking like I won't be able to use it. They can't be extended, right? Anything to do with them?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Well it wouldn't hurt to call and see if they can extend it for a few months!! If you can't use it, give it a friend or a family member!! It's bad karma to let vouchers expire unused!!

Also, you might find this thread useful: (merged thread)

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm Reason: merged thread cleanup
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:09 am

Booking a fully refundable fare and then cancelling the booking after paying for it with the voucher might be an option for you.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:42 am

Thanks for the ideas and the link! I searched, but missed that thread. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.