Wiki Posts
Search

Dividend Miles Multiplier - Information and Questions [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, Hilton-Diamond, UA-1K
Dividend Miles Multiplier - Information and Questions [MERGED]

Earlier today while booking my reservations online, I was offered an option called dividend miles multiplier. For 249$, I was given the option of doubling the miles (including the 50% gold bonus) that I could earn for the trip, while for 599$, I could triple it. For my trip (LGW-PGL-LHR), it meant that I could get 12000 additional miles for 249$

Anybody else seen this recently?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Hmmmm...haven't seen this myself, but if it is true, it surely dilutes the elite program even more.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:19 am
Original Poster

I forgot to mention: The bonus miles purchased do not count as EQM's
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
With a little Googling, I found a reference that US did trademark the term "Dividend Miles Multiplier" almost a year ago, so I guess it's been in the making for a while.

http://www.trademarkia.com/dividend-...-77711679.html

No doubt they're jealous of UA, who's been getting people to pay for more miles for a while. Perhaps we'll see a US version of E+ next...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by ashwinbrao
Earlier today while booking my reservations online, I was offered an option called dividend miles multiplier. For 249$, I was given the option of doubling the miles (including the 50% gold bonus) that I could earn for the trip, while for 599$, I could triple it. For my trip (LGW-PGL-LHR), it meant that I could get 12000 additional miles for 249$

So just to get this straight, for $599 you would receive triple base miles AND they would also triple your Gold bonus?? If so that seems like a rather good deal, for my upcoming MAD trip I could earn an additional 35,448 miles for $599 (1.6 CPM) ^
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uva185
So just to get this straight, for $599 you would receive triple base miles AND they would also triple your Gold bonus?? If so that seems like a rather good deal, for my upcoming MAD trip I could earn an additional 35,448 miles for $599 (1.6 CPM) ^
Yes. It is a great deal
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:53 am

I dont know if it is that good of a deal...for us elites it really might be a great deal depending on how they award the bonus.

Just keep in mind that if US is offering it, they will usually do it because it will benefit them more than us...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by CactusFlier
I dont know if it is that good of a deal...for us elites it really might be a great deal depending on how they award the bonus.

Just keep in mind that if US is offering it, they will usually do it because it will benefit them more than us...
That depends how people redeem their miles. Those (especially FTers) that redeem for high value awards will benefit more.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Except that you can still buy 100K directly for less than 1.4 cpm through the end of March.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold; US TIB; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ashwinbrao

PGL = Trent Lott International? Just curious...how did you route there? I didn't know US has any connections to PGL.

The online booking engine only allows me to choose GPT & JAN in MS.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by kopflyer
PGL = Trent Lott International? Just curious...how did you route there? I didn't know US has any connections to PGL.

Were you serious? I don't think you were but you never can be sure online. LHR-PGL-LGW was just a typo of LHR-PHL-LGW.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: None
for my upcoming MAD trip I could earn an additional 35,448 miles for $599 (1.6 CPM) ^
I guess it depends on how you look at it. You've already paid for the first 11,816 miles at some cost per mile - the cost of the ticket.

Anyway, the best deal is the double miles - 100% more miles for $249. The triple miles costs another $350 to get another 100% of the base/normal bonus miles. Note that it doesn't appear to be triple miles extra, it just triples the miles. So a 10K mile itinerary would give 20K miles with the double miles and 30K miles with the triple miles, not 20K and 30K extra miles.

Of course, the more base/elite bonus miles the itinerary gives the cheaper the extra miles are. Fly PHL-PIT-PHL and they'd get pretty expensive. For an around the world ticket they'd be really cheap. but regardless of the length of the itinerary the double miles is a better deal than the triple miles. But if you want the most extra miles and don't mind paying more per mile to get them, the triple miles would accomplish that.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Mar 12, 2010 at 6:03 pm
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kopflyer

I meant LGW-PHL-LHR
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:12 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Here is an interesting question. If you purchase the double or triple miles and miss youtr flight, what happens? Are you out the bonus money you paid?

-- Mia
Old Mar 13, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum
Interesting

I just did a dummy booking and sure enough - there is was. The ability to double or triple the amount of miles you accumulate for a fee.

The caveat - The double or triple miles purchased will not count toward preferred status.

I think it's interesting that everyone is trying to sell miles right about now. How do FF's feel about this? I think I can see the appeal for infrequent travelers or those that need a boost for an upcoming award trip. Not sure I get it for everyone.

(But anyway you can make a dime is the name of the game

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.