Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Linking reservations for seat assignment and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Linking reservations for seat assignment and upgrades

Mrs. AB was going to visit our daughter next month and made her reservation a few months ago. She no longer has any status on US. I was going to meet them by traveling from another city.

My plans have changed, so I can now fly with my wife on the outbound. Just made my reservation and called to have the two confirmations linked for seat assignment and upgrade purposes. Was told that a link can no longer be done, that companion upgrades can only be done if the reservations were made at the same time and have the same confirmation code. The reservations can not be placed under the same code at this time.

I'll call back in a few minutes to speak with another agent. Does anyone know the current policy or has had this experience recently?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by AtlanticBeach
...Does anyone know the current policy or has had this experience recently?
The agent correctly stated current policy, which is now more restrictive re companion upgrade.

The previous (generous) policy was tightened because there was perceived abuse. Not good in situations such as yours, but it frees up available upgrades for Preferreds.

Perhaps look for Miles Upgrade in advance for companion, and take a chance on your complimentary upgrade?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yes, unfortunately this does seem to be the new normal, and although I understand why (see kudzu, above) it does complicate things since we (spouse and I) will often do trips that only partially coincide. (We go out together but return different times, or we return together but not on trips we started at same time). Tomorrow, for example, I have been upgraded on a leg where she has not (yes, she gets the seat!) but I could not find a way to get our different PNR reservations tethered in time in the system. That is, my upgrade hit before her outbound had gone out so I could not call in to try to wheedle an after-the-fact consolidation of the PNRs.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
...I could not call in to try to wheedle an after-the-fact consolidation of the PNRs.
Curious - does this mean they still allow (when you call in) an informal linkage of PNRs so that a non-status companion on different PNR could sit with Preferred member in Preferred seats?

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
we (spouse and I) will often do trips that only partially coincide.
I have the same situation with Mrs AT, but I always book one-ways in these cases (she & I fly together outbound one-way, both return separately on two other one-ways). I usually upgrade her return with miles if I can. I've not seen any cases recently where roundtrip pricing was any more favorable than buying 2 one-ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.