Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

3000 bonus miles for 3-day rental with Avis until 2/28/2013 (updated)

3000 bonus miles for 3-day rental with Avis until 2/28/2013 (updated)

Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by ramblers63
At pickup, the surly desk agent would not allow use of the coupon, and used a blanket statement to the effect of "yes, we will charge you for 3 days, but these 3 day coupons require a full 72 hour keep". Anyone heard this before?
Not with this coupon or any other Avis coupon that required 3 days. If I was charged three days then the coupon would be honored. No one has ever told me I must actually keep the car 72 hours.

Send a letter to Avis either via their web site or snail mail. It sounds like the rep was misinformed. If not, and this is what Avis really intends to support, then some serious letter writing needs to be initiated by FTers.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:02 am

Thanks Evan (for this response and all of your threads!). I will report back in a few weeks to tell if the 3k miles came through.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:56 pm

Question

How long does this usually take to post to your US account? I rented using it at LGA a few weeks back and haven't seen it appear yet.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by goheelswks
How long does this usually take to post to your US account? I rented using it at LGA a few weeks back and haven't seen it appear yet.

Thanks in advance
In my experience, it has never taken more than a week. Do you have the 3,000 mile bonus (plus the earned miles for the car rental) on your Avis receipt? It should be on the bottom. If so, the miles will eventually appear in your US account. If not, you may have an issue and will need to talk to US.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:27 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Evan!
So I am officially endorsing autoslash.com (as if my endorsement means anything but a guy can fantasize right?). Honestly, I was quite surprised that he beat every AWD and BCD I could find. He asked me to let him know if I find anything (code) beating his rates. He is very conscientious about getting the absolute best deals.

The true litmus test will be if Mrp Alert likes the site. Marty.... I'm talking about you
It looks like an Travelocity affiliate site. Rates look decent, but that may be just due to the corporate codes being utilized. Nonetheless, I am always game for a FTer initiated project and wish them much luck. I will be better equipped to review the site once I get out of ABQ and back home next week. Generally, I just trust Evan!'s judgement.

Also, don't forget we have to powow about October next week
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
I'm picking up at SNA Monday at 9:30am, returning LAX Wednesday around 8:30am--just short of 48 hours, but over the course of 3 days--will this qualify for the 3k?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tashworth
I'm picking up at SNA Monday at 9:30am, returning LAX Wednesday around 8:30am--just short of 48 hours, but over the course of 3 days--will this qualify for the 3k?
"just short of 48 hours" will count as a 2-day rental. Avis, like most car rental companies, do not look at the calendar but rather the clock. This is actually a good thing not a bad thing. Unless of course you want to eat your cake and have it too. If Avis considered your rental as 3 days and charged you 3 days then those who don't care about a 3K bonus would be justified in calling foul for being charged 3 days when they rented only 2.

The best way to determine if you qualify for an x-day promo is to look at how many days you are being charged. From the sounds of it you will be charged for two days.

Might I suggest alternatives to the Avis 3K promo? I only offer these because if you don't qualify and your DM# is in the reservation you will pay $1.50 (ff surcharge) for 100 miles, 150 total with the US summer blockbuster promotion (USSBB) ... OUCH.

UA/Avis earn 250 bonus miles on a 2-3 day rental until Dec 31. At least with this promo you will earn a total of 350 miles for $1.50 - not great but not as bad as 150 miles. With the current 50% summer blockbuster promo with US the total will end up being 525 miles. Caution: I don't know if SNA is a "participating location". You can get the same deal with AS miles as well.

US/Thrifty earn triple miles when renting a compact or larger for 2 days or longer through Dec 31. Your surcharge will be $1.80 for 300 miles - 450 miles if you consider the USSBB promo.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
My 3K posted today for an SJC rental returned on 5/31. I was charged for 3 days but returned it about 8 hours shy of the 72 hour mark. So apparently returning the vehicle early isn't an issue.

With the 1500 additional miles from "Summer Blockbuster" promo, this turned out to be quite a good deal!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_F
My 3K posted today for an SJC rental returned on 5/31. I was charged for 3 days but returned it about 8 hours shy of the 72 hour mark. So apparently returning the vehicle early isn't an issue.

With the 1500 additional miles from "Summer Blockbuster" promo, this turned out to be quite a good deal!
Yes, Avis gives you a grace period of, IIRC, about an hour. So any rental of 49 hours to just under 73 hours will count as a 3 day rental. At 74 hours you will be charged for 4 days even though you kept the car 3 days and 2 hours. A "day" to Avis and Budget is any portion of 24 hours but, again, they give a modest grace period.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Today I got my 3K bonus for last week's rental. (booked through autoslash.com). Now I look forward to my 50% US bonus

Edit (6/21/10): The 50% bonus posted today! Total haul 4,884 miles

This is me doing the Summer Blockbuster dance.

Edit: another one: 3320 + 1660 = 4980

Last edited by Evan!; Jun 26, 2010 at 5:24 am
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goheelswks

Thanks in advance
Hey goheelswks, did you ever get your miles from your LGA rental?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Evan!
Hey goheelswks, did you ever get your miles from your LGA rental?
I have the same question. My miles, not even the base miles, have posted for my SAN rental a few weeks ago. I wonder when I should go after them.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by buschoi
I have the same question. My miles, not even the base miles, have posted for my SAN rental a few weeks ago. I wonder when I should go after them.
I'm right there with you--waiting to see how long they take to post along with the other bonuses tacked on.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
LGA miles have posted, though after an initial delay of 2 weeks. Slight delay in posting the 50% bonus miles as well, but they do seem to have come through correctly.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Unhappy

Darn it...I just realized that I forgot to enter the Coupon # MUAA044 when I cancelled then rebooked my reservation for the vacation I'm currently on (7 days). My US# is in there. Am I SOL?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.