Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
They literally just need to reissue the ticket. So I would persist if I were you.
I agree; I would too.

I'd call at a different time, when there is a different crew of supervisors.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Here is a situation that I'm wondering if there's any possibility of a good solution:

We booked a USDM award to Australia/NZ from NYC last February when the schedule opened, all on *A airlines. We already have one open jaw.

Now, one of us needs to be in HK for half a day for business on the way back-- and we do have a good 6 hours layover in TPE before taking BR TPE-JFK.

The routing on the way back is:

(NZ)AKL-PVG-(CA)PVG-TPE-(BR)TPE-JFK.

Are any of these scenarios possible:

1) Change AKL-PVG to AKL-HKG, then PVG-TPE to HKG-TPE
2) At PVG on day of departure, pay to have PVG-TPE changed to PVG-HKG, and buy one-way HKG-TPE to catch the last flight
3) Make a change for PVG-TPE to PVG-HKG, layover, HKG-TPE in advance

The issues with 1 and 3, I don't think voluntary changes on *A partners can be done via USDM anymore... and you can't mix OW and *A flights? Can we add in non-OW partners at this point (vs at ticketing)?

2 would only work if the airport agent can be persuaded (since USDM won't make changes after travel commences) and it's a long shot... and whether the last leg home would stay intact.

Have I missed anything that would make this work out?

Last edited by transparent; Jan 2, 2015 at 3:32 pm Reason: fixed airline code
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
The chances that USDM rep will change a *A ticket are very small... They can for sure not change NZ or BR flights as no more access on the award inventory.

I only see a chance, that you try to rebook your return fully on CA (Air China) as for example:

AKL NZ PVG / PEK CA HKG CA PEK CA JFK

But therefore award seats need to be available... Air China is still an USDM partner... Modification is with keeping the NZ flight is theoretically possible but the tricky part will be to find an agent that will do this change...

If I were you, I would also consider to check OW availability... Cancel your *A tickets and book a now one on OW...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
The chances that USDM rep will change a *A ticket are very small... They can for sure not change NZ or BR flights as no more access on the award inventory.

I only see a chance, that you try to rebook your return fully on CA (Air China) as for example:

AKL NZ PVG / PEK CA HKG CA PEK CA JFK

But therefore award seats need to be available... Air China is still an USDM partner... Modification is with keeping the NZ flight is theoretically possible but the tricky part will be to find an agent that will do this change...

If I were you, I would also consider to check OW availability... Cancel your *A tickets and book a now one on OW...
Thanks for this suggestion... will look into that.

I think the last option probably won't work as we are traveling as a family...

Is it possible to arrive at TPE for the BR flight and ask BR to fly the same flight a day or two later for one passenger? Does that ever happen? He would then book his own TPE-HKG RT flights.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by transparent
Is it possible to arrive at TPE for the BR flight and ask BR to fly the same flight a day or two later for one passenger? Does that ever happen? He would then book his own TPE-HKG RT flights.
Of course you can ask BR... But most probably the answer will be to call US for the change...

Just make sure that the baggage in your party is checked in under another name than you, then they have not to care about the baggage...

Could be that you get sick on the flight to TPE or got a painful ear pressure on the flight to TPE, that you have to contact the BR flight for a change?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Of course you can ask BR... But most probably the answer will be to call US for the change...

Just make sure that the baggage in your party is checked in under another name than you, then they have not to care about the baggage...

Could be that you get sick on the flight to TPE or got a painful ear pressure on the flight to TPE, that you have to contact the BR flight for a change?
"I got sick on the flight."

"OK, we'll get you seen by a doctor straight away. and kept in isolation for a bit"

"No, I have this flight to Hong Kong I need to catc- er, I mean..."

Don't think I'd be trying that kind of a stunt, especially in Asian countries that remember SARS, and if the OP's family member has to regularly do work in Asian countries. Someone who actually has to go to HKG for a work meeting probably needs to be truthful to airlines and immigration officials about things like illnesses.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Redeposit fee waiver for AA EXP?

I have an upcoming *A itin booked with US miles I may need to cancel (trip is in the next 30 days). Is there any hope of getting the redeposit fee waived as an AA EXP but nada on US?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
I have an upcoming *A itin booked with US miles I may need to cancel (trip is in the next 30 days). Is there any hope of getting the redeposit fee waived as an AA EXP but nada on US?
Why should they?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Why should they?
Jeez, tough crowd. Never said should. But, you know, merger. Plus EXP > CP in terms of requirements, etc. and its waived for CPs.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:31 pm

Jeez, tough crowd. Never said should. But, you know, merger. Plus EXP > CP in terms of requirements, etc. and its waived for CPs.
Yes... but so far USDM and AA still have indipendent FFP's...

Therefore unfortunately:

huh!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Why not just ask US instead of polling the peanut gallery? It's not like our answers are particularly meaningful. You're asking for exceptional treatment outside the rules, QED the experiences of the peanut gallery in encountering rules in booking awards... not very meaningful.

The ticket's valid for a year, BTW, so in theory... cancel now but do NOT redeposit immediately (but keep the ticket #), call back once the programs merge later this year...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:54 am

Completed TG award in First

My wife and I just completed our last *A award on TG in First. Once again a wonderful experience. TG offered 2 seats next to each other on both 747 segments when they only have 2 of those. We noticed that there were other First Class passengers who had wanted our seats. Great service for award travelers. Thank you US Airways for several wonderful trips with your *A partners!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I just completed my long-awaited South Pacific via Asia in J award that I booked on 3/30/14. With 4 airlines and 8 flights, it's quite surprising that my ticket stayed intact that whole time and the trip went off without a hitch. Bravo to the star alliance carriers for cheerfully honoring the ticket and sitting my wife next to me on every flight. There were quirks at two check-ins, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by a competent agent.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:40 pm

^ ^ ^
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by kingarthur
I just completed my long-awaited South Pacific via Asia in J award that I booked on 3/30/14. With 4 airlines and 8 flights, it's quite surprising that my ticket stayed intact that whole time and the trip went off without a hitch. Bravo to the star alliance carriers for cheerfully honoring the ticket and sitting my wife next to me on every flight. There were quirks at two check-ins, but nothing that couldn't be fixed by a competent agent.
What kind of quirks did you encounter at checkin? Something caused by US?

thanks
goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.