Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
I got some troubles when book this itinerary:

Award Category: N.Asia to Europe

HKG-HND by NH1276 (0035/0545) B763ER Business
-----------------------------------------------STOPOVER
NRT-FRA by LH711 (0935/1550) A343 First
FRA-LHR by LH4736 (1620/1655) A321 Business
-----------------------------------------------DESTINATION
LHR-ZRH by LX345 (0600/0840) A320 Business
ZRH-DXB by LX242 (1245/2050) A333 First
-----------------------------------------------LAYOVER cause there's no any connecting *A flights to SIN or BKK

DXB-BKK by TG518 (2240/0805+1) B772 Business not a/v
-OR-
DXB-SIN by SQ453 (2350/1120+1) B772 Business
SIN-BKK by SQ946 (1530/1655) B772 Business
BKK-HKG by TG600 (0800/1145) B744 First

US ticketing supervisor insist that I can only make one stopover in one award ticket again, and mentioned that I can not fly to DXB whatever make a stopover or layover cause DXB is not any *A carrier's hub city.

I try to change the itinerary as follow:

LHR-ZRH-BKK or SIN, but this lady insist I have to fly with TG or SQ since it's their hub city, so I can not fly with LX to BKK or SIN due to hub city issue.

So US only allow me to do so:

HKG-HND NH1276 (0035/0545) B763ER Business
NRT-FRA LH711 (0935/1550) A343 First
FRA-LHR LH4736 (1620/1655) A321 Business
-----------------------------------------------DESTINATION
LHR-HKG via LX/ZRH or LH/FRA, not allow any stopover anymore.

I explained again with stopover conditions published on the US website:

One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction.

But this lady insist "if you travel with any *A award ticket, only one stopover permitted."

Is it correct? Or I just bad luck today? Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:21 pm

Sorry, Didn't see this thread until now
Is this sounds possible?

LAX to ICN (stop over) to PVG on OZ
PVG to NRT (stop over) to LAX on NH?

does that violates any rules? I wonder if I can have 1 stop over during entire trip or just 1?

If thats the case, what would be my best way to see all 3 cities from LA?

Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
But this lady insist "if you travel with any *A award ticket, only one stopover permitted."

Is it correct? Or I just bad luck today? Thanks for any advice!
*A award tickets were previously limited to one stopover per itinerary, but the rule you quoted is the current rule. Some agents don't seem to realize this has changed. I suggest you try again with a different agent, since you don't have much to lose other than the time it takes to make the call . . . .
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:11 pm

I just finished a call with US customer service department and ticketing department. Now they said the information on the website was incorrect. Only one stopover allowed per itinerary, despite the conditions published on the US website: One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction.

The REP said they will dress this issue to related department, however, they just can not allow me to have two stopover in the following itinerary:

HKG-NRT by NH
------------stopover
NRT-LHR by LX/LH
------------destination
LHR-BKK by TG
------------stopover
BKK-HKG by TG

Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I just finished a call with US customer service department and ticketing department. Now they said the information on the website was incorrect. Only one stopover allowed per itinerary, despite the conditions published on the US website: One en route stopover is permitted at a US Airways hub city, a US Airways international destination or ticketed partner's hub city per direction.

The REP said they will dress this issue to related department, however, they just can not allow me to have two stopover in the following itinerary:

HKG-NRT by NH
------------stopover
NRT-LHR by LX/LH
------------destination
LHR-BKK by TG
------------stopover
BKK-HKG by TG

A method around this, though you won't be able to check luggage and it'll cost you something ... is just to book it returning to HKG via BKK, then skip your last segment. You'll have to pay your own way (or otherwise redeem) for the last BKK-HKG hop and you won't be able to check luggage ... but this is an option.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:55 am

Is there a *A carrier whose hub is HKG?

I'm trying to do the following on a *A award (connection cities omitted):

WAS-HKG (stopover)

HKG-HKT (destination)

HKT-WAS

-Or could I call HKG the destination with a stopover in HKT on the return?

Thank you for your help!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whistler814
Is there a *A carrier whose hub is HKG?

I'm trying to do the following on a *A award (connection cities omitted):

WAS-HKG (stopover)

HKG-HKT (destination)

HKT-WAS

-Or could I call HKG the destination with a stopover in HKT on the return?
There is not a Star carrier with a hub in HKG.

I don't believe that HKT (Phuket) is considered a hub for Thai, but I'm not certain of that, which means there is a good chance a US phone agent won't be either.

If you can get that to work, you're good to go: HKG is your destination, HKT (as long as you're flying Thai into it) is a stop-over on the return.

If you can't get HKT considered a stop-over eligible hub, you may need to structure it using HKG as your destination, then on the return fly Thai to its hub in BKK for the stop-over. Then buy a BKK-HKT round-trip ticket on a separate itinerary, followed by the resumption of your award ticket home to WAS.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:41 am

Thank you AZ! Sounds like it boils down to the phone agent. I am waiting for the transfer promo bonus to post and I'll update here with my results.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
The "stop over must be in a *A hub" clause is one of the easier ones to get around.

I know someone who booked an "Asia via Europe" award with UA to CDG, stopover in CDG, and TG to BKK. CDG is most definitely not a *A hub.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
There is not a Star carrier with a hub in HKG.

I don't believe that HKT (Phuket) is considered a hub for Thai, but I'm not certain of that, which means there is a good chance a US phone agent won't be either.
Star Alliance website's information, HKT should be one of the Thai's hub city.

Thai Airways International

Facts & FiguresNumber of aircraft: 88
Aircraft types: A330-300, A300-600, ATR-72, B747-400, B747-300, B777-300, B777-200, B737-400, MD11
Hubs: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:22 pm

Star Alliance website's information, HKT should be one of the Thai's hub city. . .

Hubs: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai
I would go with that, and refer the agent to "the official Star Alliance website," which lists Phuket as a Thai/Star Alliance hub.

Having said that, the same website lists for US Airways:

Hubs: Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Washington D.C., New York, Boston, Pittsburgh and Las Vegas

Five of the eight, Washington D.C., New York, Boston, Pittsburgh and Las Vegas, are not US Airways hubs.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
I'm trying to book an award for a party/concert in PRG for Dec 4th....

I want to try and do something like this....

PHL-FRA-KRK
(Use AirBerlin, Easyjet or the like to bop around to TXL or MUC)

PRG-???-BOS
Can I leave from PHL and return to BOS? Or do I need to route it as:
PRG-???-BOS-PHL and get off in BOS since its my first US landing?
------

I had considered doing:
PHL-MUC stopover
MUC-KRK destination
openjaw though KRK to PRG is a LONG trainride
PRG-???-BOS

Any thoughts... my essentials are to be in PRG Dec 4th. I don't want to be there for a full week, but looking for ideas. The PHL/BOS thing might be worked out. I may be able to talk the wife into letting me leave out BOS, but I'd rather not return to PHL, where she is headed by car, and then have to drive back another six hours after landing....
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Alphaguy
I'm trying to book an award for a party/concert in PRG for Dec 4th....
It's an either/or situation.

You can either depart from/return to different cities, OR fly into one city and back out of another. You can't do both.

So, PHL-FRA-KRK / PRG-FRA-PHL

or BOS-FRA-PRG / PRG-FRA-PHL

Having said that, if you fly back into the US into PHL (or any airport for that matter), you must clear immigration and customs with any checked baggage there. You can simply walk out and not re-check, dropping the final leg. This is not consistent with the rules, but I've done it many times, for a variety of reasons, without consequence. (A CP agent even suggested it to me once.)

I'm assuming because you're centering around PHL, you're looking at flying US. If so, on a trip like this, I'd strongly urge you to investigate Star Alliance partner flight options like LH or SQ to FRA (or wherever). There are many better options available to you than flying US Trans-Atlantic. You can mix airlines, and come up with a flying experience much more enjoyable than you'll likely have on US. You can also stick in US or UA connections in the US to get you to whichever gateways you need for the TA flights. The ANA tool is your friend.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I would go with that, and refer the agent to "the official Star Alliance website," which lists Phuket as a Thai/Star Alliance hub.

Having said that, the same website lists for US Airways:

Hubs: Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Washington D.C., New York, Boston, Pittsburgh and Las Vegas

Five of the eight, Washington D.C., New York, Boston, Pittsburgh and Las Vegas, are not US Airways hubs.
Looks like they missed LAX, SFO and ORD.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Looks like they missed LAX, SFO and ORD.
But those would be UA hubs, not US hubs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.