Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There's also some lie-flat C on CO and even (gasp) US, though you are playing the lotto with them much like UA (some planes have it, some don't).

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic pricing for business class.
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Good point. I think I've become spoiled by the prospect of my trip to HKG next week, where I'm going to be flying on OZ, TG, and LX in F for 120K miles -- so spending 100K miles for a decent C product to BUD seems to pale in comparison.

But if I change my perspective, an award C ticket to BUD is still a fine deal considering that will cost me $1150 to buy a Y ticket to BUD. I was able to purchase well over 100K miles for just about $.09/mile.
I hope you mean $0.009/mile...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by johndeere19
I hope you mean $0.009/mile...

You are correct. Good catch!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
open jaw for single region award

Originally Posted by L4ibsch
A bit to my surprise I recently read in this thread that open-jaw in the same region was not allowed. Haven't found that in the rules, yet. May be worth a try in any case.
I'm happy to report from personal experience now that an open-jaw for a single-region award does not seem to pose any problems. But an open-jaw PLUS a stop-over will I got a friendly agent that was trying to book me a stopover to get around unavailability on the day that I was planning to travel originally. The computer did price the itinerary but would not return a confirmation number no matter how hard she tried.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:58 am

KVS vs ANA vs wwwLH vs Sabre

Hi

I have a question regarding an LH F award booking.
I guess the following routing is allowed?
FCO-FRA-IAD-FRA-BER (TXL)

The ANA tool doesn't show any availability but the LH MM page shows availability: FCO-FRA (C);FRA-IAD (F);IAD-FRA (F);FRA-TXL (C) if I ask in 4 single queries.
However asking for FCO-FRA-IAD-FRA-TXL (F) in one single query doesn't show any availability.

Using my travel agency sabre system - I can reserve an itinery
FCO-FRA in I
FRA-IAD in O
IAD-FRA in O
FRA-TXL in I
-> These are the appropriate booking classes according to the *A booking class chart.

Do you think US callcenter would be able to book me my itinery?

Thanks for your help...i really enjoy this forum.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by CleverK1
Hi

I have a question regarding an LH F award booking.
I guess the following routing is allowed?
FCO-FRA-IAD-FRA-BER (TXL)

The ANA tool doesn't show any availability but the LH MM page shows availability: FCO-FRA (C);FRA-IAD (F);IAD-FRA (F);FRA-TXL (C) if I ask in 4 single queries.
However asking for FCO-FRA-IAD-FRA-TXL (F) in one single query doesn't show any availability.

Using my travel agency sabre system - I can reserve an itinery
FCO-FRA in I
FRA-IAD in O
IAD-FRA in O
FRA-TXL in I
-> These are the appropriate booking classes according to the *A booking class chart.

Do you think US callcenter would be able to book me my itinery?

Thanks for your help...i really enjoy this forum.

If it's not on ANA you likely will not be able to -- M&M releases more seats to its own members. There is only one way to find out for sure though.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:48 am

I understand there's a $150 fee per passenger for changing anything about an award booking. I just want to change a flight time for 2 of us, and $300 will be steep. Without being chairman, has anyone had luck getting the fee waived?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by rrgg
I understand there's a $150 fee per passenger for changing anything about an award booking. I just want to change a flight time for 2 of us, and $300 will be steep. Without being chairman, has anyone had luck getting the fee waived?
Two ways to get it waived:

1. Schedule change
2. If the agent making the original booking made a mistake
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ariyo15
1) Any chance this will happen again in the future and I could possibly score some F seats on the LH380? Obviously - at least from what you're saying - this won't happen with SQ, so I'm not going to hold my breathe
For the moment F award seats on LH's A380 are only available to *G members of Miles & More.

2) Would you say then that LX, TG, NH or others in F would be better than LH C (even in the 380)?
Yes. Why are you comparing F and C?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:34 am

Well it's actually worse than I thought. I decided I'd be willing to eat the fee and called.

I asked to get on a different outbound LX flight and was told they'd cancel the entire awards, redeposit miles, and rebook from scratch. I don't want to change the return flights, but since they don't show extra awards available, there's no guarantee I could even get them again. With other airlines I've been able to change a single segment or even the airline without canceling out the whole award first. This approach is so risky, I can't even believe it's their policy. It's really the risk now that bothers me more than the fee, not to mention that this makes their fee wholly unjustified.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I asked to get on a different outbound LX flight and was told they'd cancel the entire awards, redeposit miles, and rebook from scratch.
You're getting an agent who either doesn't know how to do it, or doesn't want to take the time to do it. I know for a fact that it can be done, as I've done it. But I've also gotten the same answer you received, even from a CP agent, so you just have to keep calling until you get someone who has the skill or will to do it or find out how to do it.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You're getting an agent who either doesn't know how to do it, or doesn't want to take the time to do it. I know for a fact that it can be done, as I've done it. But I've also gotten the same answer you received, even from a CP agent, so you just have to keep calling until you get someone who has the skill or will to do it or find out how to do it.
+1 just call back and ask again.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
You're getting an agent who either doesn't know how to do it, or doesn't want to take the time to do it. I know for a fact that it can be done, as I've done it.
I've talked to 5 or 6 agents by now about this, more out of curiosity than necessity. All of them said that reservations involving numerous partner airlines have to be restarted from scratch. Some even claimed this to be the case for itineraries on hold, not yet ticketed, but I'm a bit doubtful about that. I'm starting to wonder if certain itineraries just cannot be changed easily. It certainly looks like you'd have to make a lot of calls.

AZ, are your experiences recent and with a ticketed itinerary that involved numerous partner airlines? Don't get me wrong, I hope you come back to say "yes". How many times did you have to call back to find an agent willing and able to make such a change for you?

Once travel has started no changes are possible at all, not even in extreme circumstances (like the political turmoil in Thailand recently).

[...] this makes their fee wholly unjustified.
I understand your feeling. But you should acknowledge that the fee has nothing to do with the effort they have to put in. It's a contractual agreement that doesn't need "justification" by costs or effort. You agreed to this rebooking fee when you made the original reservation. It's part of the T&C. FWIW, this fee used to be much higher until very recently. You're kind of lucky, here.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I've only ever needed one hang up, call back to change a 'complicated' multi-carrier itinerary without cancelling and starting over. And my experiences are in the past couple of months.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by L4ibsch
I understand your feeling. But you should acknowledge that the fee has nothing to do with the effort they have to put in. It's a contractual agreement that doesn't need "justification" by costs or effort. You agreed to this rebooking fee when you made the original reservation. It's part of the T&C. FWIW, this fee used to be much higher until very recently. You're kind of lucky, here.
I think you've misunderstood. Despite what you wrote I was FULLY aware of the fees from the start. In fact, I wrote a formal letter to US Airways about the $250 fee 6 weeks before they changed it. I listed the policy of several airlines and politely asked them to be more competitive. I hope my suggestion helped sway their decision.

Despite what you wrote I don't feel the fee is related to effort. I merely said that for this amount of cash they should have the technical skill to merely protect my reservation. That's not an unreasonable request.

In any case, I posted here just to warn others. This kind of technical detail is not stated in their T&C as far as I can tell (that they cannot change my flight time on my *A reservation without starting from scratch and potentially losing my flights).
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In any case, I posted here just to warn others. This kind of technical detail is not stated in their T&C as far as I can tell (that they cannot change my flight time on my *A reservation without starting from scratch and potentially losing my flights).
They absolutely can change flights without starting from scratch. Again, talk to another agent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.