Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Quite the contrary based on my experience this week. November flights,

ORD-NRT ANA First & ICN-LAX Asiana First long hops as well as short hop on United & Air China Business

160,000 miles total and 15-30 minutes on the phone max. And yes all details confirmed in advance via KVS and other tools.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Quite the contrary based on my experience this week. November flights,

ORD-NRT ANA First & ICN-LAX Asiana First long hops as well as short hop on United & Air China Business

160,000 miles total and 15-30 minutes on the phone max. And yes all details confirmed in advance via KVS and other tools.
Shouldn't US-North Asia be 120K in F? Or do your UA/CA flights take you into South Asia?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
USAirways cancelled my reservation that was on hold for 3 days!!! (prior to expiration)
They are saying - it is not us, it is other airlines. What can I do??? (((
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Here is the link to all info regarding OZ lay-flat seats.
unfortunately it only provides partial information from what I can see. for example it makes no distinction between the 777s... for example listing sydney, Chicago and New York as all having this type, but as we know, the suites are only available on the JFK run, and the full flats and angled flats are available in different sectors as well.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ellylex
USAirways cancelled my reservation that was on hold for 3 days!!! (prior to expiration)
They are saying - it is not us, it is other airlines. What can I do??? (((
nothing you can do except hope the availability returns and you can rebook them.

while USDM has a three day hold, it can sometimes be less than an actual 72 hours. and some airlines have an auto cancel less than that period.

unless absolutely essential... always best to ticket as soon as you can.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
unfortunately it only provides partial information from what I can see. for example it makes no distinction between the 777s... for example listing sydney, Chicago and New York as all having this type, but as we know, the suites are only available on the JFK run, and the full flats and angled flats are available in different sectors as well.
Click on the 'Route By Type of Aircrafts' tab which provides a more detailed outline. Clearly shows that Sydney only has angled and not the smartium seats.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
For the interesting discussion about Thai "releasing 2 seats at a time" :

TG's system is set up to display 2 seats at a time for I and O class. If availability for a flight was F4 A3 O3, non-TG agents would see F4 A3 O2. That 3rd O seat exists, but it can't be seen.

If the agent books 1 O seat, the inventory becomes F3 A2 O2, and then all seats can be seen. Alternatively, if the agent long-sells 3 O seats, it would come through confirmed and availability would come back F1 A0 O0.

Now, given that this system is understood, it becomes clear that if additional seats don't become available immediately, then they don't exist - and there is no guarantee that they will ever exist. One can sit on the waitlist for O class for months.

Other carriers, like LH, cap the display at 4 seats, which is why it is less of a problem - it is rare for somebody to be looking for more than 4 seats in a premium class on a single flight anyway.

The caps exist even for revenue buckets - they serve to make how many seats airlines have for sale opaque, so their competitors cannot utilize that data.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelislife
Click on the 'Route By Type of Aircrafts' tab which provides a more detailed outline. Clearly shows that Sydney only has angled and not the smartium seats.
hmmm... that's still showing Chicago as suites and OZsmartium three times a week
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:55 am

Very interesting PVDtoDEL, thanks to you and all the others who have responded to my question around this. Helped me greatly. This is one of the more helpful and supporting forums I have used. Cheers!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by djwald
Very interesting PVDtoDEL, thanks to you and all the others who have responded to my question around this. Helped me greatly. This is one of the more helpful and supporting forums I have used. Cheers!
Everyone will remaing helpful as long as you make an effort to using the search feature before asking a question
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:27 am

Haha - i get what you are saying and maybe I need a simple web lesson, but every time I use it, there is more noise than direct hits!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djwald
Haha - i get what you are saying and maybe I need a simple web lesson, but every time I use it, there is more noise than direct hits!
Google search is much more effective.

E.g. "TG 2 seats available site:flyertalk.com"
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
nothing you can do except hope the availability returns and you can rebook them.
Spoke to a supervisor, she was able to almost replicate the booking -domestic flights with 1 hr layover was not available, changed it to 4 hrs, BUT she gave me open jaw with stopover. I ticketed immediately! Thank you.

PS What was interesting, United wasn't showing availability on "my" flights at this point, but USAirways did. I thought they have same inventory - guess not.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BA EC Gold, Asiana Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
For the interesting discussion about Thai "releasing 2 seats at a time" :

TG's system is set up to display 2 seats at a time for I and O class. If availability for a flight was F4 A3 O3, non-TG agents would see F4 A3 O2. That 3rd O seat exists, but it can't be seen.

If the agent books 1 O seat, the inventory becomes F3 A2 O2, and then all seats can be seen. Alternatively, if the agent long-sells 3 O seats, it would come through confirmed and availability would come back F1 A0 O0.

Now, given that this system is understood, it becomes clear that if additional seats don't become available immediately, then they don't exist - and there is no guarantee that they will ever exist. One can sit on the waitlist for O class for months.

Other carriers, like LH, cap the display at 4 seats, which is why it is less of a problem - it is rare for somebody to be looking for more than 4 seats in a premium class on a single flight anyway.

The caps exist even for revenue buckets - they serve to make how many seats airlines have for sale opaque, so their competitors cannot utilize that data.
If I need more than 2 Seats on TG, I use the KVS Mobile Companion.

It nicely shows how many seats are available.

For example on July 10th 2014 from FRA to BKK it Shows 5 F-Seats on TG921 and 6 F-Seats on TG923.

TG 921 FRA/1 14:45 BKK 06:25 +1 380/0 10:40
F9 A9 P9 O5 C9 D9 J9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 GR T9 K9 S9 V9 W9 X9

TG 923 FRA/1 21:10 BKK 13:00 +1 346/0 10:50
F8 A8 P8 O6 C9 D9 J9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 GR T9 K9 S9 V9 W9 X9

Of course USDM still only sees 2 Seats at a time, but at least you know that more will be released.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: Velocity Gold

Wow those numbers seem crazy! O6 an I9!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.