Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:33 am

Hi Coolers - I thought the same as you and put 2 seats on hold. I tried again today and Thai still had not released a new seat. I guess I need to keep trying over this 3 day hold period...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by ellylex
2. Should I try to include a longer stopover of 5hrs (or aim for 23 hrs) in Seoul instead of 1 hr and try to see the town OR it is not worth it?
Absolutely! We did the 23-hour layover (a "stopover" is anything over 24 hours) and it was fantastic to get a chance to experience Seoul as an almost-stopover. Five hours is not enough time at all.

Your photos are...Amazing!!!!
Too many choices... I dismissed AirChina in favor of Asiana. I hope I am not wrong.
If you are in J (business), do not dismiss CA so quickly. Even though I'd still pick OZ J if the Smart Quadra seats are offered, certain CA flights can be amazing in J, too. Here is my photo trip-report of a recent CA experience.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by djwald
Hi Coolers - I thought the same as you and put 2 seats on hold. I tried again today and Thai still had not released a new seat. I guess I need to keep trying over this 3 day hold period...
Thai will continue to release 2 seats until the total award allocation for each class has been reached. if the seats have not appeared by now then they may have run out.

Thai often releases more seats after the initial allocation but when those seats will be released is hard to predict.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:08 am

Thanks - have you ever tried booking more than 2 seats? Or has anyone else in this forum tried?

Do all airlines only release 2 seats at a time for any route?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - have you ever tried booking more than 2 seats? Or has anyone else in this forum tried?

booking more than 2 seats is common, and my friends are a family of three... they use this method for all their trips on Thai... book parent + child first, and by the time they have completed the booking they book the other parent. 99 per cent of the time they book the third seat during the same call, it's that quick.

if availability is tight and if flying on a route with first class, you might also consider booking some pax in business and some in first.

I can't say for certain about all other airlines, but most airlines display whatever award inventory they have at the same time. more might get added later, but if they have 4 seats they'll show 4 seats.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:48 am

Thanks again, I guess then that there arent any more seats on that flight, because the 3 seat is still not available. I also notice it is easter weekend so maybe it a full weekend...

I did this last year and was no problem. I assumed because of the merger issues Thai has tightened up....
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards

I saw plenty of LH Biz availability when making reservations last week for 10/13. I saw 4 but the DM agent showed 8 for award travel for CLT-MUC.

You need to check daily or use one of the service that checks for you.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Absolutely! We did the 23-hour layover (a "stopover" is anything over 24 hours) and it was fantastic to get a chance to experience Seoul as an almost-stopover. Five hours is not enough time at all.
Of course for a stopover I would find 23 hour window. I simply mentioned 5 hr - because that is what was offered in the search. Did you arrange private guide? How you spent your time in Seoul?

Originally Posted by tommyleo
If you are in J (business), do not dismiss CA so quickly. Even though I'd still pick OZ J if the Smart Quadra seats are offered, certain CA flights can be amazing in J, too. [/URL]
Looked at your the photos of AirChina...everyhing does look great.
But in the report you mention class C - which is what? You flew with them in business or First? How do you know which seats are on the aircraft of Asiana - Smart Quadra or not?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looked at your the photos of AirChina...everyhing does look great.
But in the report you mention class C - which is what? You flew with them in business or First? How do you know which seats are on the aircraft of Asiana - Smart Quadra or not?
you'll need to do a little bit of research, and have a look at the Asiana forum for routes and aircraft offering the full flat seating.

C class is business. there are a standard set of class designators used interchangeably when discussing airline travel. FPA are generally refer to first, JCDI for business. Y is economy and Y+ is premium economy.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
...have a look at the Asiana forum for routes and aircraft offering the full flat seating.
C class is business....
Thank You! I wonder, why people mention booking class by letter instead of just saying first/business/economy. These letters, if I understand correctly, are used by airline for their pricing purposes, while the seat is the same no matter how you call it - F, P, or A.
I did check seatguru - if it is correct, then flight OZ204 has fully flat seat.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:03 am

I think I need a different plan
This is the original routing on hold for September using USAir 90K award:
LAX-IAD-AMS (stopover) so far on United
AMS - ZRH- PVG on Swiss
PVG - Seoul - LAX on Asiana

After checking the weather in AMS - it doesn't look good. I found comments from last years and weather sites that it is far from warm. Around 10-15 Celcius plus drizzle/rain.
Is it better to cross out AMS and visit it during warmer period?
In that case, what destination to add to China trip (with USAir miles), given that passengers have been to Japan and Thailand before. A beach destination would be great as well.

Thank You everyone for your input and patience with my numerous questions.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:04 am

double post
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
I have a BKK-MUC-MAN sector booked for December 2013. I want to change this to April 2014. There is availability across on both sectors, however, I've not been able to get the agents to see the MUC-MAN flights where availability is plentiful.

I tried again today however and a rather knowledgeable agent advised that she had recently had some training was informed that they cannot book award seats on Lufthansa Group after November 1st.

Anyone else had any similar issues?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Thank You! I wonder, why people mention booking class by letter instead of just saying first/business/economy. These letters, if I understand correctly, are used by airline for their pricing purposes, while the seat is the same no matter how you call it - F, P, or A.
I did check seatguru - if it is correct, then flight OZ204 has fully flat seat.
Because it is shorter and easier to write F/C/Y than spell out First, Business or Economy.
Same reason why people use acronym.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Been advised now that "Star partner's won't allow us any seats at all", so no seats at any time, not even prior to November 1st according to supervisor.

They can see US availability only.

Last night they could see everything but LH Group pretty much, now they can see nothing!

I find this very hard to believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.