Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Youpaiyou
Why isn't CPH the stopover? Because I'm spending more time in CPH than EDI?
No, because CPH is further away from LAX than EDI.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Youpaiyou
Why isn't CPH the stopover? Because I'm spending more time in CPH than EDI?
It's distance based.... CPH is the destination.
And you will most likely have problems getting EDI as a stopover, it's not a *A hub and (worse) requires a lot of extra legs to get your there and to LAX.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's distance based.... CPH is the destination.
And you will most likely have problems getting EDI as a stopover, it's not a *A hub and (worse) requires a lot of extra legs to get your there and to LAX.
I don't think he will have any trouble adding EDI. LAX-CPH-LAX is possible with a total of four legs, LAX-CPH-EDI-LAX is possible with a total of six legs. I've seen much more creative routings than this one, US usually allows up to 8-10 segments. My last trip was 8 segments instead of 4, and ~30% above the needed mileage, including a detour for a stopover in a more expensive zone (and further away from the origin than the "destination" was). I have also booked another one with a stopover in DAR, even though JNB and ADD are the only African *A hubs.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Peppep
I don't think he will have any trouble adding EDI. LAX-CPH-LAX is possible with a total of four legs, LAX-CPH-EDI-LAX is possible with a total of six legs. I've seen much more creative routings than this one, US usually allows up to 8-10 segments. My last trip was 8 segments instead of 4, and ~30% above the needed mileage, including a detour for a stopover in a more expensive zone (and further away from the origin than the "destination" was). I have also booked another one with a stopover in DAR, even though JNB and ADD are the only African *A hubs.
I think that's right, but there are really two parts to this thread... a) what can I rightfully demand for USDM (because it meets all the rules) and b) what is considered 'luck' through pushing the envelope.

there are occasions when a USDM agent might deny a perfectly legal itinerary, a thread like that helps to arm the pax with the ability to get what they want.

there are other times when the USDM agent will correctly deny an itinerary... and then it is up to the pax to either accept that, or to HUACA.

the issue with EDI is that it doesn't meet the stated USDM criteria. so while we have all be lucky getting itineraries outside the stated rules... there would be no point demanding a USDM agent ticket EDI as a stopover... because they have the rules on their side. other things you can rightfully demand.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by KVS
If you don't mind a double connection, one of which is overnight, there is this option in C:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.3/Diamond - Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA]
Code:
CLT  Charlotte Douglas NC US [KCLT]
RTB  Roatan Juan Manuel Galvez Intl HN [MHRO]
SAT  30 Nov 2013 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
UA/S5      3540    CLT   19:27     IAD   20:52     E70  0   CS+
 -> UA/OO  5170    IAD   06:00 +1  IAH   08:35 +1  CR7  0   CS+
 -> UA     1434    IAH   10:20 +1  RTB   13:13 +1  73G  0   CS+
UA/S5      3540    CLT   19:27     IAD   20:52     E70  0   CS+
 -> UA     1617    IAD   22:00     IAH   00:07 +1  73G  0   YS+
 -> UA     1434    IAH   10:20 +1  RTB   13:13 +1  73G  0   CS+
Cheers! Any way for RTB-CLT on 12/21-24?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Unfortunately US doesn't have the best website for finding award seats. It will show all of US' own flights and partner's award seats to major destinations, but leaves out a lot of partner award inventory.

When did partner award become available online?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:54 pm

Has anyone been able to do a long sell with LH F?
I've never tried since Jan 1 but what's stopping LH F from being booked? Is it a manual instruction, or starnet blocking of some sort?
I just read at omaat that it was done, so and he flew probably a month ago, so that means it was still "doable" 6 weeks ago.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Has anyone been able to do a long sell with LH F?
I've never tried since Jan 1 but what's stopping LH F from being booked? Is it a manual instruction, or starnet blocking of some sort?
I just read at omaat that it was done, so and he flew probably a month ago, so that means it was still "doable" 6 weeks ago.
Check this link: <here>

1) Beginning January 1, 2013, award redemption in Lufthansa first class cabin is unavailable.

Yes, so is it, withouth any but...!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Check this link: <here>

1) Beginning January 1, 2013, award redemption in Lufthansa first class cabin is unavailable.

Yes, so is it, withouth any but...!
Then either Lucky (aka lucky9876coins) at One Mile At A Time is either lying when he says:

While US Airways does technically block Lufthansa first class redemptions I haven’t had too much trouble finding agents willing to book it.
Or, he is not, and one can find agents to do a manual sell. (It probably helps that he would know the string you would have to type in US's version of SHARES thanks to his time as a travel agent, so he can walk them through it. Some references here.)

I doubt he has much reason to lie, given that it would be pretty bad press for someone who books awards to not be able to book awards they publically claim to be able to book, and you can use ANA/United to track LH availability.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:59 pm

Minimum Connection on US Airways

Last edited by superking; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:36 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:27 pm

Tried CLT-MUC-CDG stay there 10 days
CDG-MUC stay two days
MUC-CLT

But agent said stop over not allowed within region?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by iztok
Tried CLT-MUC-CDG stay there 10 days
CDG-MUC stay two days
MUC-CLT

But agent said stop over not allowed within region?
HUACA.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:57 pm

Thanks. Got it. Checking with my wife then ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
PVG BOM PEK Stopover HKG

Hi

What are the Star A airlines that will allow the above route with a 7 day stopover in HKG > Outbound Oct 30 or so, inbound from BOM around Dec 8.

Thanks.
Main trip already booked on AA PRD PEK.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by HMPS
Hi

What are the Star A airlines that will allow the above route with a 7 day stopover in HKG > Outbound Oct 30 or so, inbound from BOM around Dec 8.

Thanks.
Main trip already booked on AA PRD PEK.
the limiting factor is the HKG-PEK which is only operated by air china.

the other sectors you can fly TG, SQ or combinations of those with CA.

check initial availability via united.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.