Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: andyr
Before asking the question: There is no way for you to "see" the certs in your account. But when you call, an agent will be able to verify they are there.

Note that if your US metal flights are purchased on AA stock, there is no option to waitlist - you must keep trying to upgrade by calling.

Per post #872, looks like as of 3/20 they are starting to disappear as accounts get migrated. Some report upgrades still working on 3/21. Obviously YMMV, but booking now rather than later may be advisable.
Print Wikipost

All About CP Upgrade certs (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by jemmazee
I've been looking for flights to use the Envoy upgrades from 2010 before they expire - so wanted to be able to confirm availability at the time of booking. I finally found a good itinerary for PHL-CDG at the end of March and called to apply the upgrades. Everything worked out fine, but I was surprised when she charged me an extra $49/person tax for "Solidarity" - I just wanted to see if anybody could confirm that this is customary because she couldn't really explain what it was. Thanks!
CDG imposes some sort of tax on upgrades (I don't remember the term "solidarity") and the $49/person sounds about right. When I came back on an upgrade last year (inbound was to LGW), I had not been charged this amount ahead of time, and they charged me for it at the airport . . . which was a big annoyance because it took them about 20 minutes when I just wanted to get past security and over to the lounge. You should confirm that this is the CDG tax and that you won't get charged it a second time when you get there.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Good to know - thanks for the explanations!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
CDG imposes some sort of tax on upgrades (I don't remember the term "solidarity") and the $49/person sounds about right. When I came back on an upgrade last year (inbound was to LGW), I had not been charged this amount ahead of time, and they charged me for it at the airport . . . which was a big annoyance because it took them about 20 minutes when I just wanted to get past security and over to the lounge. You should confirm that this is the CDG tax and that you won't get charged it a second time when you get there.
Elaborate, please. Who is checking at the airport if this tax was paid? Security? Is it marked somehow on the boarding pass?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
They know when you check-in. On a recent LHR-PHL trip, I knew the taxes had increased after I purchased the ticket. They collected the tax due at check-in at LHR but I was not able to reconcile what I had paid on my receipt.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Anyone know about this?

I have booked a trip for my wife and I for this coming summer. We were able to get the outbound upgraded using 2010 CP certificates at the time of booking, but not the return (which happens to be a 330-200).

I recently called the CP line (which I do every few days or so) to see if any upgradable seats have opened and have been told that only one seat is available for the return flight (even though the seat map shows that the Envoy cabin is completely empty). I inquired about splitting the PNR to upgrade my wife now, and then holding the companion half of the certificate to use for me when another seat is released. But it was explained that if you don't book the companion upgrade at the same time, you lose it. Of course, I'm concerned that someone will come along and take the one available "J" seat, and then we'll be waiting for two available seats again, not one.

On occasion in the past, I've spoken with folks at the CP support desk (who are almost always very nice and helpful) and they have been able to talk to the department that releases upgrade seats and get mileage-upgrade seats opened up for domestic trips, but that doesn't seem to be possible in this case. Does anyone have any experience that might be helpful here?
I have the exact same situation for a flight to AMS in two weeks. The CP line said that I could split the PNR and upgrade myself, then later, if another seat opens up, I could upgrade Mrs. Tacostuff (who is GP) and that it would not be a problem. The agent said all that matters is that we are on the same itinerary, not the same PNR. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:25 am

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
CP Upgrade on USAirways Vacations Ticket?

I'm thinking of booking a trip to Europe with US Airways vacations, as they have a couple of promotions ($100 off and pay for 2 nights get 3 at the hotel). I'm CP this year and next. Does anyone know whether I can use the CP upgrade certificates on the US metal flight over the pond booked through US Airways vacations? Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:38 am

I was looking to use my CP certs on leg 2 of my honeymoon PHL>DUB in July. All dates in July (and May and June And August for that matter) are "High" award tickets. Calling CP line confirmed... No CP cert upgrade for my dates or any close to them. Although seatmap shows 1st class completly empty. Dates dont show up as "Low" or "Off-Peak" until dates alot closer to now or way out next fall.

I guess my question is... Are my summer dates going to stay "High" and screw me out of being able to use these certs? Or do "Low" and "Off Peak" award fares pop up more as the fligh date nears?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Originally Posted by Gambleballs
I guess my question is... Are my summer dates going to stay "High" and screw me out of being able to use these certs? Or do "Low" and "Off Peak" award fares pop up more as the fligh date nears?
All that matters is how many seats are open the week prior to your trip. This, of course is hard to predict. If there are multiple seats open a week out, they are likely to start passing them into award buckets. Then you will be able to use your certs. Sometimes this is 7d out, sometimes 2d out. You just need to call during this timeframe to find out. It does not matter how many miles the award ticket or how many dollars the actual ticked would cost were to to obtain it otherwise. If there is only one or two seats open, however, they are likely not to release the seat at all. In that case you might be able to apply the cert day of travel. Good luck.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Originally Posted by rmswift
Does anyone know whether I can use the CP upgrade certificates on the US metal flight over the pond booked through US Airways vacations? Thanks.
My understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong), is that a ticket purchased through US Airways vacations is an actual real US ticket and is treated the same way as if you had purchased it as a stand alone ticket. While I have not done this internationally, I have domestically and received automatic UG at the window and thus business as usual.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by Gambleballs
I was looking to use my CP certs on leg 2 of my honeymoon PHL>DUB in July. All dates in July (and May and June And August for that matter) are "High" award tickets. Calling CP line confirmed... No CP cert upgrade for my dates or any close to them. Although seatmap shows 1st class completly empty. Dates dont show up as "Low" or "Off-Peak" until dates alot closer to now or way out next fall.

Others may know better, but if I understand what you are saying, you are trying to use a CP upgrade cert for an award ticket. I don´t think this is allowed. I have never tried it, but I always understood that the certs were only for paid tickets

Last edited by itsme110; Jan 12, 2011 at 6:03 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by tacostuff
I have the exact same situation for a flight to AMS in two weeks. The CP line said that I could split the PNR and upgrade myself, then later, if another seat opens up, I could upgrade Mrs. Tacostuff (who is GP) and that it would not be a problem. The agent said all that matters is that we are on the same itinerary, not the same PNR. Anyone have any ideas?
This seems strange, I have been told just the opposite by at least two CP agents:
Originally Posted by me
. . . I inquired about splitting the PNR to upgrade my wife now, and then holding the companion half of the certificate to use for me when another seat is released. But it was explained that if you don't book the companion upgrade at the same time, you lose it. . .
Specifically, I was told that when they apply the CP upgrade cert, the computer asks what will be done with the companion portion and the only options are to apply it to the same itinerary or discard it.

BTW, if it were me and I were going to upgrade one of us and not the other, domestic harmony would influence me to upgrade Ms. PhoenixCMC and hold off on my personal upgrade until later.

P.S. It would be nice if US Airways had a "lurker" on this forum who could clarify questions like this like the Starwood Lurker does on its forum.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by itsme110
Others may know better, but if I understand what you are saying, you are trying to use a CP upgrade cert for an award ticket. I don´t think this is allowed. I have never tried it, but I always understood that the certs were only for paid tickets
No, its a paid ticket. It had been stated on here that a good guideline to check if a flight had CP Cert upgradeable seats available was to check for dates available for "Low" miles awards.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
This seems strange, I have been told just the opposite by at least two CP agents:

Specifically, I was told that when they apply the CP upgrade cert, the computer asks what will be done with the companion portion and the only options are to apply it to the same itinerary or discard it.

BTW, if it were me and I were going to upgrade one of us and not the other, domestic harmony would influence me to upgrade Ms. PhoenixCMC and hold off on my personal upgrade until later.

P.S. It would be nice if US Airways had a "lurker" on this forum who could clarify questions like this like the Starwood Lurker does on its forum.
So... I ended up splitting the PNR and upgrading myself. Before splitting the PNR, I made several calls to the CP desk. On each call the agent had to put me on hold and check with someone else, but four different agents confirmed that so long as the companion is on the same itinerary (not the same PNR) that I can use the upgrade cert. They told me that the CP upgrade certs are different from domestic upgrades where both pax MUST be on the same PNR. So far it appears to work. I was able to get my wife upgraded for our flight after I split the PNR. Hopefully nothing weird happens in the next two weeks before our flight...

As for "domestic harmony" I did get some "what is wrong with you" stares, but I think I convinced her when I said it was part of a larger strategy...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thank you for this information - this is good to know. Last year I waited for TWO upgrades to become available before using the certs. Now it appears that we can do them piecemeal.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by tacostuff
So... I ended up splitting the PNR and upgrading myself. Before splitting the PNR, I made several calls to the CP desk. On each call the agent had to put me on hold and check with someone else, but four different agents confirmed that so long as the companion is on the same itinerary (not the same PNR) that I can use the upgrade cert.
I had much the same experience . . . split the PNR and then was told that since there was only one upgrade available, if I used it the companion half would be lost (after I has specifically told the rep what I wanted to do before the split was done). Momentary panic ensued.

So I asked the rep to check with a supervisor and she confirmed that I could use the companion half later when a second seat opened up for upgrade and put a note on the un-upgraded PNR (mine) to that effect. I also got the name of the supervisor in Winston-Salem who approved this. Hope it works (flight not til summer but cert expires at the end of February).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.