Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket Expiration Date

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Ticket Expiration Date

Have tickets to STT in early June that were purchased last summer - now find that we can't make the trip. Tickets say valid for one year from date of issuance.

Any way to get US to extend that one year expiration date? I know I'll have to pay change fees, but that's better than losing full value of the tickets.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
US hasn't been known to be accommodating in waiving their policies in quite a while. Good luck, but I suspect you may not find any options.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
Originally Posted by deflyer
Have tickets to STT in early June that were purchased last summer - now find that we can't make the trip. Tickets say valid for one year from date of issuance.

Any way to get US to extend that one year expiration date? I know I'll have to pay change fees, but that's better than losing full value of the tickets.
I thought you just had to reissue/rebook by the one year date, not actually fly by that date.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TRAVELBABE
I thought you just had to reissue/rebook by the one year date, not actually fly by that date.
You have to FLY by one year from date of issue.

I'd be stunned if you got someone at US to extend beyond that date.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Here it is from the US website:
Non-refundable tickets

To make a change to a paper ticket, please go to the airport or contact your travel agent to make a change. If you have an electronic ticket, call Reservations or your travel agent to make a change.

Domestic flight changes are subject to a $150 fee and transatlantic/transpacific flight changes are subject to a $250 fee, in addition to any difference in fare.

Here are the rules:

* If a reservation is canceled on/before the ticketed departure date, the value of the ticket may be applied toward future travel up to one year from the original issue date. Travel on the new ticket must be completed within one year of the original date of issue.
* If any part of the ticket is unused after the ticketed departure date and the reservation has not been canceled, the ticket has no value.
* Once the value of a non-refundable ticket has been applied towards the purchase of a new ticket, the original ticket is considered valueless.
* Non-refundable tickets: all taxes are fully refundable (upon request), except the VAT for tickets sold within the U.S. and all U.S. taxes (US; AY; ZP; XF; XA; XY; YC).

NOW - that being said - it's always POSSIBLE to call US, play dumb about the fly within a year, and find an agent who will rebook for something outside that area... this IS US Airways after all!
Old May 8, 2009, 5:47 am

Your best option to plead your case on why you need an extension on a ticket is Customer Relations. They are more able to give extensions.
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...relations.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.