Wiki Posts
Search

Your annual spending on US

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

In case US moves towards a Preferred system based on annual spending, rather than miles, I thought that it would be useful to know generally how much others are spending on, and otherwise provide in revenue to, US Airways, and what each person's status level is.

If you are willing to share, please keep in mind the following:

(1) Plane tickets
(2) Fees (baggage, change fees, upgrade fees, Preferred Access fees, etc.)
(3) Club memberships
(4) Credit card spending (perhaps valued at $0.01 per mile earned)
(5) Other amounts

For me, I'm Gold and provide approximately $9,000 per year to US. 1/2 from tickets, 1/2 from other things (mostly credit card miles).

Others?

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Oct 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I am gold and this year at probably $25k in tickets.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Silver Status and have probably spent about $3k to $4k on tickets and $2k on my USAirways credit card.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I'm chairman and have spend $15k this year so far, last year was $21k for tickets. No fees due to status, club this year free due to mileage last year.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:08 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
CP
20k on tickets, mostly on UA.
5k spend on US at most
75k spend on US cards
No club (UA Club Visa)
Fees for ticket changes about 1k
US gift cards on Amex about 2k from family
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

I'm the typical thrifty casual traveller. Spent less than $2k on tickets and my club membership this year and I requalified for silver. No USMC, no fees paid. Cleared my upgrade on 7/10 eligible legs.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Not sure I understand all these categories

I know that there is always talk about basing status on "spend," but what does that mean exactly?

To be precise, I was going to respond to your request by looking at my Barclays MC card, because that is where I charge anything to do with US.

But "anything to do with US" includes tickets I have bought for other family members. Is that "my" spend ... or theirs?

Before you say that it is automatically theirs -- since of course they have the miles associated with the flights, PQMs and Dividend Miles -- remember the incentive structure of the current system:

I am "loyal" to US because I have some travel for which I get reimbursed by others, even if it runs through my credit card. Because of my status with US, life gets better in the airport and in the sky, and I start throwing more of my own money into trips, including with and for other family members. This is part of the "virtuous cycle" of status.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that some of the "unfairness" of the PQM status system is not necessarily done away with by shifting to "spend," since attributing "spend" (and keeping the motivational structure behind the spend-status relationship) is not obvious ... at least to me.

Put simply: I end up spending some money on US because of the current system that I would not spend, curiously enough, if it were a spend system only.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Look at UA's GS for "spend." While it's not a published figure and it's clearly a range, it appears to be approx. $40K BIS or people who control others' spend (in other words, you may only fly $5K/year but you control a $2 Million corporate contract).

That's not that hard on UA because a round-trip East Coast-Asia in full F is in the $22 range, so two of those a year and you've spent $44K. On US a little harder because Envoy to Europe not quite in that range.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I'll get back to Gold next year with only about $2,000 spent on US. Most of the rest ($3,000-4,000) is on *A carriers.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: US Gold
Gold, all tickets. Probably about $5,000 this year, about half of it on US and half on UA, a portion of it not on my nickel.

wg
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
What is the basis for the OP? Has there been any rumors about this? While I don't pretend to have my finger on the pulse of US, this is news to me.

That being said, I usually spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-30k on US, and maybe $10-20K on other *A carriers per year. All of this spend is for tickets.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
While I did not start this rumor, I for one would be glad to see this happen. While not quite in the way suggested, more like the SQ program for PPS. In their program you still have mileage and tiers except those who spend a large amount of money get 1st shot at the perks. BTW, the annual spend for PPS at SQ is $50K per 12 month period.
This rewards those of us who no longer do huge a huge amount of miles on US, but do spend larger than normal amounts of money. In my opinion it provides a balance for the airline by rewarding those business travellers who purchase high value tickets (or at least giving them a chance at a reward).
BTW, I reach CP by taking some of my SQ flights as US miles.

Last edited by swanscn; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'll be a CP later this year. I think I spent around 7k in business and personal travel. I spent another 7k on UA that would have gone to US had it flown where I needed to go. Credited all UA travel back to US.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
CP, about 135 segments so far this year. Estimate another 20 before year end. For me, typically 42-46 flights, $400 per, gives me about 18k
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
I am Platinum the last few years.

I (actually, my employer) spent around 10K with US in the last 12 months

I also spent a significant amount on other *A carriers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.