Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by flight62
Except the E190, All of our mainline a/c have ovens in F/C. The customer should inform the f/a that the meal was not warm.

The company has changed the way the meals are boarded. They are in larger containers that hold 2 meals as opposed to a smaller container that held one. Some f/a's have stated that the meals have to cook longer. It was probably a simple over site from the f/a who was trying to not overcook, but ended up under cooking because of the new containers. Never be afraid to tell us.
Thanks! And I will politely ask if it can be heated longer if I do receive a cold one!
Old May 17, 2008, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Thank YOU as I need to remember not to throw those containers out after plating just in case!
Old May 17, 2008, 10:14 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks for your invaluable contributions, flight62 and all of our other US employees as well! ^

Here's one I've wondered about - how does the whole process of bidding for flights work?
Old May 17, 2008, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by dstan
Thanks for your invaluable contributions, flight62 and all of our other US employees as well! ^

Here's one I've wondered about - how does the whole process of bidding for flights work?
Some of this may sound like a different language, but I will try my best to translate in laymen terms.

We bid for trips. The trip pairings may consist of 1, 2, 3, or 4 day trips. We bid for schedules every month. Schedules consist of various trip pairings. Some lines of time have consistent trips. Others are a mix bag. T/A flights are usually consistent.(i.e LGW)

Each line has a number assigned. As an example, the A320 family lines of time in CLT for July have 111 different lines (schedules). They are number Lines 4510-4612. All of our aircraft have lines of time that vary according to the base.

If I am one inclined to just fly the A320 family, I would look at # of days working each line has, where they go, how many legs I have to work per day, what time they leave the first day and when they arrive the last day, if they are t/c or up and down all day, or how much time the trip is worth. All those criteria are contingent upon what each f/a desires.

We then bid for the schedules and are assigned according to seniority. It gets too complicated, but we f/a's are always changing, trading, dropping, and adding trips. THAT is for another time. Some f/a's keep their trips..others trade or work others things.

DID YOU KNOW? (CLT)

Transatlantic flights are the most senior.

Senior trips in order (CLT)

1. One day islands trips.
2. C.O.D. (Continuous On Duty) trips..last flight out at night..first out back in
in morning.
3. Two day redeyes...i.e leave CLT-SFO at 740 am and come back that night on the redeye.
4. Any 1 day trip.
5. Any 2 day trip.
6. 3 day redeyes...i.e leave CLT-SFO at 6 pm..Leave the following night on redeye.
7. Any 3 day.
8 4 days.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:19 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
So what exactly is it that you're bidding? Is it for the amount you'll be paid or is there some sort of 'points' quota that you need to meet every month?

Also, what comes first, your bid amount or your seniority?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2008, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
So what exactly is it that you're bidding? Is it for the amount you'll be paid or is there some sort of 'points' quota that you need to meet every month?

Also, what comes first, your bid amount or your seniority?

Thanks!
You bid for your schedule. The schedules (lines of time) vary in the amount of time flown. One line may be worth 77 hours, one line may be worth 84 hours. That's flight hours. Some f/a's fly as little has they have to. Some fly a lot because of whatever reason. I generally fly about 85 hours a month.

It's a way of life that is ever changing as trip pairings are always changing. People bid for different reasons. Some f/a's bid strictly on what the line is worth. Some will only bid for time off. Others will only bid lines on a certain airplane. I like the airbus because I am hot natured and feel they do a better job of cooling off. Those chillers (East mettle) are used for more than just keeping your food from spoiling! I also like going west which is basically all airbus. I enjoy the A319 East version just because we still have closets and there is a buffer of privacy between the f/a's and the customer. The 757 is ok to work but it has too many peeps for my blood. Plus, they are long in the tooth and like anything that gets old, start breaking down more frequently or they just get worn out...like a few f/a's I know. The 757 definitely has her cult following of f/a's. The 737 (a.k.a 7dirty7) just doesn't cool down enough for me. Other reasons to not like it? I just so dislike the old toilet system that is barely a step up from an outhouse. There just isn't enough Fabree stocked in the shelves to eliminate that oder. Then there's the A330. See ya when I'm 100.
Old May 18, 2008, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Did You Know?

Flight Attendants are not on the clock during the boarding process.

The pay starts when the door closes and ends when the door opens.
Old May 18, 2008, 6:01 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Few questions:

1. How senior does one be to fly A333 out of CLT? CLT-FRA or CLT-LGW. (One very nice f/a flying on B767 the other day told me that at 29 years of seniority she rarely gets to fly it but recently she was lucky she even got to be CSD. But that are few and far apart opportunities for her.)

2. You said clock for f/a starts when doors close. What do you mean? Their flying time clock or on-the-job clock? Are you saying that f/a that helps boarding then leaves for another a/c (I've seen it happen) doesn't get paid for that time in at all?

3. I would like to offer you flight92 and to galleywench a/b (one each) for your service here. However not sure what to do since I don't know what to write on it so it gets to the right person. I can leave it at CLT club on my next flight out but again not sure how the ladies at the club would get it to you. (I know you guys are sensitive about your identifying information and I respect that.) I would encourage other FFers here to do the same if they come up with a way to give them a/b for their service here without compromising their safety. (You two are the only ones that I know that are employees and helpful. Others might be helpful but I don't know you are employees for which I apologize.)
Old May 18, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Me, too....I'd like to give you both an A&B! Let us know how to do so!
Old May 18, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Me too! You're information is much appreciated!

Here's a question: I was just on a west 319 PHL-PHX and seated in the exit row (11). Out of the 6 people in this row 4 of them had bags under the seat in front of them. I thought this wasn't allowed when in an exit row or has that changed? The FA doing the briefing didn't say anything about it neither did whoever was making the announcements about storing bags etc during boarding. Just curious if it varies by aircraft or if it was just an oversight. Thanks!
Old May 18, 2008, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iztok
Few questions:

1. How senior does one be to fly A333 out of CLT? CLT-FRA or CLT-LGW. (One very nice f/a flying on B767 the other day told me that at 29 years of seniority she rarely gets to fly it but recently she was lucky she even got to be CSD. But that are few and far apart opportunities for her.)

2. You said clock for f/a starts when doors close. What do you mean? Their flying time clock or on-the-job clock? Are you saying that f/a that helps boarding then leaves for another a/c (I've seen it happen) doesn't get paid for that time in at all?

3. I would like to offer you flight92 and to galleywench a/b (one each) for your service here. However not sure what to do since I don't know what to write on it so it gets to the right person. I can leave it at CLT club on my next flight out but again not sure how the ladies at the club would get it to you. (I know you guys are sensitive about your identifying information and I respect that.) I would encourage other FFers here to do the same if they come up with a way to give them a/b for their service here without compromising their safety. (You two are the only ones that I know that are employees and helpful. Others might be helpful but I don't know you are employees for which I apologize.)

1 In CLT, 30 years and up. It is possible to pick them up...just not hold them as a line of time.

2.Our rate of hourly pay begins when the door closes. which starts the ACARS on the a/c. Part of our duties as f/a's is to be at work one hour before departure (1.5 for international), check our company mail, check in, be onboard the a/c in time to check equipment, catering, and board passengers...pretty much on us.

3. See PM.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USPhilly
Me too! You're information is much appreciated!

Here's a question: I was just on a west 319 PHL-PHX and seated in the exit row (11). Out of the 6 people in this row 4 of them had bags under the seat in front of them. I thought this wasn't allowed when in an exit row or has that changed? The FA doing the briefing didn't say anything about it neither did whoever was making the announcements about storing bags etc during boarding. Just curious if it varies by aircraft or if it was just an oversight. Thanks!
Bags may be placed beneath the seat in front of you at the exit rows of all our aircraft that have such. Unfortunately, there are a few f/a's that take it upon themselves to make up the rule saying you can't, but you can on both east and west.

See PM.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by me4yankees
Me, too....I'd like to give you both an A&B! Let us know how to do so!
See PM.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by flight62
See PM.
Thank you! Your work will be rewarded!
Old May 18, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

True Or False?

An A319 is flying from MEX-CLT. Rare as it may be, there are no English speaking passengers. The flight is oversold. US Airways must allow Spanish speaking passengers in the exit row because 10 seats would go out open and 10 customers would be pumped in what would now be an oversell. TRUE or FALSE?

I'll let this ride a few days before answering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.