Minimum connecting time at CLT?

Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, WN, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Minimum connecting time at CLT?

In booking an award reservation from DAB-ABQ I double connect in CLT and PHX. I have a 29 minute connection in PHX on the return but I have a four hour layover in CLT on the way there. My flight from DAB-CLT arrives at 1:52 pm on April 11 but the website does not show the ability to connect to the 2:25 pm flight from CLT-PHX instead I am on the 5:45 pm. So my question is: Is the Minimum connect time in CLT more than in PHX? Never been to CLT before but I can't imagine you have to walk further than from high A's to high B's at T4 in PHX.

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Welcome to FT.
Do not remember pub. conn. times but imo there would not be enough time to connect the bags even if you mske the flt.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:28 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FT!

I'm with coachrowsey, even without checked bags, I'd never try to pull off any domestic connection <40 min, and even that can be pushing it depending on the time of year and airport. There is way too much chance of a misconnect, or at the very least, being required to run through the airport.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
When I do a MR on US, either via CLT or PHX, I always give myself a minimum of 45 minutes, with a preference for 1 hour.

I'm not sure what equipment that they use from DAB to CLT, if it's a RJ then I'd allow myself 45 minutes for certain. E-gates to A-B-C gates is quite a bit of a haul.

JP
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:04 pm

ERAU: Just my 2 cents. If your flight from DAB-CLT is on Express, you'll probably land in the E terminal. Bad news. You might land in the D terminal on an off chance (it's the International). Still not really great. Very long walk from E... not to mention stairs... and the endless amounts of moverwalks.

I'd bet your CLT-PHX flight departs from B terminal. I'll double-down that bet that it takes off from B11. Not sure if it's science, but the flights from CLT-PHX and CLT-LAS seem to get further and further down the B terminal the later in the day the take-off. So your 2:25 will be B11 and the 5:45 will be B19 or something awful.

If it were me, I'd take the chance on it and get on the 2:25 instead of dealing with the layover. Plus, you can pack accordingly assuming a worst-case scenario that your bags in ABQ will be late.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious as to the min. connecting times.

I know I am going to have to hustle on the back thru PHX as I have much experience transiting there. It was the only routing with award availability for a 25,000 mile round trip award. (I must have snagged the last award seat on DAB-ABQ though, because its no longer available on the 11th.)

My routing is:
4/11
US 3116 (operated by Republic) DAB 1230 CLT 1352
US 656 CLT 1745 PHX 1923
US 210 PHX 2146 ABQ 2355

4/14
US 79 ABQ 0600 PHX 0621
US 307 PHX 0650 CLT 1344
US 3117 (operated by Republic) CLT 1500 DAB 1629

The good news is that I have flown on the 6:00 am departure from ABQ before and it often leaves and arrives early. Also on my first trip through Charlotte I will get plenty of time to explore the airport
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

onebrisk,
I figure I can always just not check bags and see if I can show up at the gate (B11 if you're correct) for the 2:25 and see if I can stand-by for it.

Last edited by ERAU_MBA_Student; Jan 20, 2008 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

duplicate

Last edited by ERAU_MBA_Student; Jan 20, 2008 at 8:23 pm Reason: duplicate post
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by ERAU_MBA_Student
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious as to the min. connecting times.
I know what you're asking here and, until very recently, this info was quickly and readily available on line through a site I thought I had bookmarked. Alas, I've just spent more than 10 minutes on advanced searches and come up with nothing. My hunch is that the published minimum connection time in CLT is 30 mins, but there may be internal flags that bump US to US connections by 5 or 10 minutes if they involve terminal A to commuter terminal connections.

I'd suggest if you really want to persue this information, simply give res a call and inquire. I still am scratching my head at why this info has vanished recently. Perhaps it was changing too often. If I had more time, I'd scour archive.org to find it!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I had this problem on a f light from CHS-CLT-PHX-SLC...the connection in Phoenix was 29 minutes.....that is an illegal connection and you just have to point it out to reservations as all connections on US are minimum 30 minutes.....They HAVE to change it for no fee to a flight with a minimum 30 mins.......try going from A22 to B16 in PHX......bring some running shoes as you are going to need them and do not rely on those lousy carts to take you.....they usually are nowhere to be found but by the donut carts with drivers on numerous breaks.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I am with coachrowsey in that you should not chance a 40-minute layover at CLT. But at least it is not a bad place to spend a long layover. They have a nice food court area with free wifi, and rocking chairs which overlook the tarmac.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFreak
I had this problem on a f light from CHS-CLT-PHX-SLC...the connection in Phoenix was 29 minutes.....that is an illegal connection and you just have to point it out to reservations as all connections on US are minimum 30 minutes.....They HAVE to change it for no fee to a flight with a minimum 30 mins.......try going from A22 to B16 in PHX......bring some running shoes as you are going to need them and do not rely on those lousy carts to take you.....they usually are nowhere to be found but by the donut carts with drivers on numerous breaks.
Not trying to be rude but you honestly complained to reservations over 1 minute? I know it makes you hustle but PHX isn't the worst place for it with the people movers. And according to this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622150 the minimum US-US connection time in PHX is 20 mins.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SS255
I am with coachrowsey in that you should not chance a 40-minute layover at CLT. But at least it is not a bad place to spend a long layover. They have a nice food court area with free wifi, and rocking chairs which overlook the tarmac.
Thanks SS255 it sounds like CLT is a good place to aircraft watch if I'm going to have a 4 hour layover.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:04 pm

Not trying to be rude but you honestly complained to reservations over 1 minute? I know it makes you hustle but PHX isn't the worst place for it with the people movers. And according to this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622150 the minimum US-US connection time in PHX is 20 mins.
Although I do not work in PHX(and have never been there) if you do a 20 min. connx & your bags arrive with you imo you hit the jack pot.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:04 pm

Thanks SS255 it sounds like CLT is a good place to aircraft watch if I'm going to have a 4 hour layover.

CLT is a great place to airplane watch from.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.