Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways Club @ JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Gold, Delta - Gold, US - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold
USAirways Club @ JFK

Can anyone please help me out with thes USAirways club questions?

- With all the lounges at Termianl 7 in JFK, why is it there is not a USAirways Club?

I find it odd that with the British Airways Terrace Lounges, British Airways (oversized) First Class lounge (by Gate 1 & 2) plus the United Airlines Red Carpet Club, why has US not worked out an arrangement for US Club members to use the UA Red Carpet Club at T7 - JFK?

As a *A Gold USAirways card carrying member and a member of the USAirways Club, why can we not use the UA Red Carpet Club at JFK? Yes, we can use it for an upgrade fee, but with all the lounges, can US work on getting their own lounge at JFK? How many flights a day does an airport need to have to sustain opening a lounge?

If you get to JFK early and need to do work while traveling on US, unless you can get a seat along the plug table by Peet's Coffee, you are slumming it on the chairs by Gate 1 & 2.

Cheers,
Global Express
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Very Simple,

The management at USAirways is CHEAP! They don't want to share any of their club income with the other clubs when you visits. There is inter-airline billings for the members who use partner airlines.

And I don't thin JFK is a "big" airport for US to worry about.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
The only reason US is at JFK is because B6 invaded CLT with JFK service and it was move of retaliation by US......They only do CR9 service thus carrying 400 people a day......my guess is that loads are less than 50% but they won't leave until B6 leaves CLT, which is highly doubtful. If you want a good US Club, LGA's is great but we all know how LGA is these days.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:21 pm

I don't think the former US East flew out of JFK in the years prior to the merger, hence no (former-)US club.

For whatever reason, UA and US do not have the kind of reciprocal club relationship that CO, NW, and DL do. Even buying the RCC add-on would only get you into the RCC if you are flying UA.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

US also flies 4 times daily to PHX from JFK and has something like 3 or 4 flights a day from JFK to LAS so add in another thousand passengers on top of the CLT flights.

Cheers,
Global Express
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Global Express
- With all the lounges at Termianl 7 in JFK, why is it there is not a USAirways Club?
Hi Global Express I am not an expert (and all others may correct me if I am wrong) but I would say the reason there is no US Airways Club is that LGA was always the NYC airport that US used. I don't think they flew there until the famous merger with HP. I am guessing HP never had a club there and if they did not previously they probably never will obtain one to keep costs low. (They will argue that they have a perfectly good club at LGA for NYC travel and this is where the majority of their NYC travel occurs.)

As far as the Clubs go they have done more contraction of the network rather than expansion in the past few years just ask noROCclub. Unless they begin turning huge profits and shed this LCC mentality I do not think there will be a JFK club for you to use anytime soon unless you break down and purchase the RCC option on your US card.

As I am not an expert on JFK I am sure others will fill in the rest of the details that I have missed.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:14 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Phudnik and Buffaloflyer have it right. JFK is from the old HP routes and is actually quite a small operation compared to LGA. The 3 routes listed by Global Express are the only ones I know of out of JFK, in contrast to the 35 or so out of LGA, not to mention the high frequency Shuttles to BOS and DCA. So, although NY is big, JFK is actually not.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments.

Now, if we can just get authority for a LGA-PHX (NON-STOP) that would be great.

In the meantime, in terms of clubs, my best club experience to date was on Thai Airways a few months ago at BKK where I was traveling Business Class from BKK to LAX and went to the club with the deep massage. That was an experience. Watching Thai 747's and A-340's taxiining in and out of the terminal while getting a complimentary massage at the Thai Club - and I was wide awake too.

Again, thanks everyone - I was just wishing because it always seems I get to JFK too early and if I can't get a seat on the long computer station table along the glass at T7 by Peete's Coffee it makes my stay at JFK less pleasurable.

However, the US expereince at JFK is not all that bad at the end of the day.

Cheers,
Global Express
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:30 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Global Express
.... while getting a complimentary massage at the Thai Club - and I was wide awake too.
Sounds like a story with a happy ending to me.....
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:20 pm
Suspended

If you had a priority pass you could use ua rcc in jfk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.