Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using my frequent flyer # for someone else's ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Using my frequent flyer # for someone else's ticket

Is this possible? I am booking a ticket for my grandparents who fly once every 10 years and aren't interested in a FFP. What will happen if I put my dividend miles number on the reservation? I'm booking through Orbitz. Is it even worth trying? I'm a plat. if it matters.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:34 pm

The traveller name won't match up with the profile and you won't get credit. If for some reason an upgrade is processed and Y is full, if discovered they may be responsible for the price difference to C. Bad idea.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Is the credit not going through a definate thing or something that might "slip through the cracks"?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:53 am

Programs: US - GP Hilton - Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive ELite, NW WP Silver
I would say it is a most definite not going to work out for you. I have tried, for my girlfriend and even called and they said no way. Status level does not matter.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:59 am

The only way it might work is if he's John Smith Sr. and you're John Smith Jr. Otherwise, no way.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:53 am

Programs: UA MP
joe smith and john smith will work as well. Same last name you are okay (in my experience)
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: PC Plat / US Gold / Hertz 5* / Avis First
Originally Posted by WhozerFlyer
joe smith and john smith will work as well. Same last name you are okay (in my experience)
I have had all of my family fly under my status (my Perfered #) they were all upgraded to First Class, but I didn't get any additional points.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
I did this once - I put my FF number in when I booked a ticket for my girlfriend just so I could get her a preferred seat - and forgot to take it out. I got a letter from US stating that the flyer and my FF# were not a match and that it was not allowed and not only would I not get any points for it, but if I kept trying to do it, I could be stripped of miles and status. Now this was over a year ago, so who knows what they do now, but I don't think it's worth the risk if they really are serious about threatening miles and status.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: Continental: Platinum, US Air: Platinum; Marriott: Gold
You can always create FF accounts for them, and then have the miles transferred to your account. There's a small fee (I think it's $30), but, if it's a long trip, it'd be worth it.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:50 am

Everyone wants US(didnt say they do) to play by the rules but its OK to try and cheat? Sorry, for a few miles it doesnt say much for the OP. Remember, what comes around goes around. Bad Karma. Mama
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: PC Plat / US Gold / Hertz 5* / Avis First
Originally Posted by msimone
You can always create FF accounts for them, and then have the miles transferred to your account. There's a small fee (I think it's $30), but, if it's a long trip, it'd be worth it.
Actually it comes out to about $750 for 25,000 Miles. Not really worth doing.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by talnus
Is this possible? I am booking a ticket for my grandparents who fly once every 10 years and aren't interested in a FFP. What will happen if I put my dividend miles number on the reservation? I'm booking through Orbitz. Is it even worth trying? I'm a plat. if it matters.
They're your miles.. you can use them to buy award tickets for whoever you like. However, if you are buying a revenue ticket for someone else, you can't get credited the miles. You have to be the one flying to get credit. If you put your account number on a reservation that doesn't match your name, it will be thrown out.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by msimone
A small fee? Where did you read that? Maybe for a short flight but, generally the fee for transferring mile is almost as much as buying them.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
I logged on to book a flight for my parents and didn't change my FF #(US Gold), when I realized my mistake and removed my number it wouldn't allow me to choose preferred seats - as it shouldn't.

Anyway, I put my number back and booked the tix giving them preferred seating. When will US notice? At the airport? Didn't want the folks to get middle seats transcon, but don't want to get in trouble either...
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
Actually I think all the Airlines should do something about this, If I as an elite flyer buys a ticket on my preferred airline as a gift for someone I should get some sort of bonus for doing so. Definately not FC seating for the flyer but if they don't have their own FF# shouldn't the loyalty mean something. my .02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.