Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Mileage Run gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:32 am
Original Poster

A Mileage Run gone bad?

I'm thinking of doing a mileage run and on purpose bumping into FT'ers on the way. May question is.

Say, I am going BOS-PHL-LGA-DCA-PIT-CLT-PHX.

And I miss my flight in PHL to LGA. The agents will only rebook on the next nonstop PHL to PHX meaning I will loose all these segements and miles on my original routing. US's rule is to credit for what you actually flew, not purchased. How would I go about making a case to get miles/segments for what I had ticketed in the first place.

I've never done a Mileage Run- all my crazy routings had a puprose of getting there and doing business or leisure activities and earning miles, not just earning miles like a pure Mileage Run. So I'm asking the pro's for help w/ this question.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:11 am

I don't have the answer to your question, but i'd like to hear when you go if you get the complimentary FC on all segments

Are you also doing this same itin on the way back?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: US lowlife
I highly doubt you'll be able to get six segments each way on a BOS-PHX ticket booked, let alone not get 'caught' and get rerouted on a most-direct path.

That being said - why not try to cover all of those airports split between the outbound and inbound? Hit BOS-DCA-CLT-PHX on the outbound, PHX-PHL-PIT-BOS in the return? Alot less likely to get noticed and easier to find/book. It also gives you a little bit more breathing room for delays and club time for meeting up with FTers, unless you're looking just to ride on the plane with them.

-JC
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Have you looked to see if it is even possible to do this routing, and what the cost is? I look at the MR forum periodically, and most MR'ers won't do one unless it is around $.02.

I did a MR in early Feb: PHX-JFK (night flight)-LAS-PHX-SEA-PHX. My first flight was 2+ hours delayed, what was supposed to be down time at JFK turned into a 20 min turn. Then my LAS-PHX leg was delayed and had trouble getting a gate in PHX and I had to run to catch the flight to SEA. I did tons of research, had next flights, other alternatives, phone numbers, etc with me, just in case, but everything ended up working out (even ran into someone I know in SEA). That whole thing was about 7,200 PQM at $350 all-in (almost $.05/PQM, but gave me gold status). I was in F for the entire journey.

I'd check out the MR forum and see what folks there think.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
I've had pretty good luck in calling the preferred desk to get miles for the route I was ticketed for when ATC, an AWOL flight attendant, and mechanical issues have forced me to take a direct or altered routing. When asked about it I just explained I was on a MR and the miles were the primary reason I did the round about routing.

YMMV

Last edited by ackpfft; Apr 13, 2007 at 10:29 am
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I'm thinking of doing a mileage run and on purpose bumping into FT'ers on the way. May question is.

Say, I am going BOS-PHL-LGA-DCA-PIT-CLT-PHX.

And I miss my flight in PHL to LGA. The agents will only rebook on the next nonstop PHL to PHX meaning I will loose all these segements and miles on my original routing. US's rule is to credit for what you actually flew, not purchased. How would I go about making a case to get miles/segments for what I had ticketed in the first place.

I've never done a Mileage Run- all my crazy routings had a puprose of getting there and doing business or leisure activities and earning miles, not just earning miles like a pure Mileage Run. So I'm asking the pro's for help w/ this question.
This is incorrect. US will give original mileage routing credit for any missed flights unless its your fault that you missed the connection.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
This is incorrect. US will give original mileage routing credit for any missed flights unless its your fault that you missed the connection.
See this is where I get confused:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...px#irregtravel

Irregular Travel

1. If an US Airways flight is cancelled, passengers traveling on an award ticket will be re-routed to their destination, as necessary, following US Airways’ procedures.
2. US Airways is not responsible for any irregular operations, delays or cancellations by partner carriers.
3. If your US Airways flight is canceled, the following will apply:
1. If you are rescheduled on US Airways or a partner carrier, you will receive miles for the new itinerary flown.
2. If you are rescheduled on a non-partner carrier, you will receive credit for your originally scheduled flight(s). Please send a copy of the ticket receipt and boarding pass to the Dividend Miles Service Center for processing.
3. If you elect not to travel, you will not receive credit.

4. If any partner carrier’s flight is canceled, the following will apply:
1. If you are rescheduled on US Airways or a partner carrier, you will receive credit for the itinerary flown.
2. If you are rescheduled on a non-partner carrier, you will not receive credit.
3. If you elect not to travel, you will not receive credit.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
See this is where I get confused:

3. If your US Airways flight is canceled, the following will apply:
1. If you are rescheduled on US Airways or a partner carrier, you will receive miles for the new itinerary flown.
In the rules you quoted, US has reserved the right to award only the miles flown; as others have posted, original routing credit is usually available if the failure to fly the original routing is the airline's fault.

That said, you've got the cart before the horse here as I sincerely doubt you'll be able to hub-hop BOS-PHX via PHL, LGA, DCA, PIT and CLT at any thing resembling an affordable fare. Mileage run? That term is usually reserved for [i]cheap[i] itineraries.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:09 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by FWAAA
In the rules you quoted, US has reserved the right to award only the miles flown; as others have posted, original routing credit is usually available if the failure to fly the original routing is the airline's fault.
And how often does US admit that a delay is its fault nowadays? If King misses a connection due to a mechanical problem, US probably won't admit to fault, book him on a more direct route, and only award miles actually flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.