Wiki Posts
Search

Missing a flight on purpose

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Missing a flight on purpose

Im a US Airways Gold preferred, and am flying back from a business meeting to DCA through Charlotte next week. My connection through Charlotte is the last flight to DC that night, and I would love to "miss" it because i have a buddy in Charlotte that i could go out with.

Anyone miss a flight intentionally? How would i go about doing this? Could I just say when i get to charlotte that Im sick, and just want sleep and put me on the flight the next morning?

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
welcome to FT!

unless your flight coming in is delayed and misconnect, the airline will not be responsible. Would not advise intentionally missing your flight unless you are prepared to buy another ticket on your own dime.

if this is the last leg of your journey, you can just not get on the ultimate segment. Note that if it is not the last leg, all onward travel segments will be negated if you fail to board.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond
It has also been known to happen that if you just miss a flight and throw yourself on the mercies of the GA that they may try to accommodate you on the next flight out. I've been able to get on the next flight twice, both were only 2-4 hours later (no overnighter) and each time I had just missed the plane. Ie, plane was just pulling away from ramp, etc.
My lateness was was due to traffic once and alarm clock issues the other time.

If you are a risk taking gambling type, sure go for it.

Even though I am at times a risk taker I would not consider being put on the next flight for free a sure thing.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:36 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to FT, bigdog3030.I am moving this thread over to the US Forum.
Please continue to follow there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I almost missed a connection in PHX because I fell asleep in the club. I woke up about 25 minutes after the scheduled departure time. Before I went to the club I was told by the GA the flight would be 10-15 minutes delayed. So I RAN down to the gate and the door was closed but I saw the plane sitting there. I told the agent I fell asleep and she called down the jetway and actually had them open the plane back up for me ^ If had missed that flight I would have been stuck in PHX for 7 hours.

If I were you take a look at the loads for the early morning flights to DCA. Also take a look what time the last flights to BWI and IAD leave in case they try to send you there instead. If they have a good number of available seats and there are no later flights to WAS I would say its worth the risk. Just remember to go to the gate right after the flight is closed out and make up some excuse.

I was almost forced to spend the night in CLT when I missed my connection to DCA. They delay was due to ATC so the airline would not give me meal vouchers or a hotel voucher. Luckily I was able to catch a delayed BWI flight, but before I found that flight on my own they booked me on the first flight to DCA then next morning.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by bigdog3030
Im a US Airways Gold preferred, and am flying back from a business meeting to DCA through Charlotte next week. My connection through Charlotte is the last flight to DC that night, and I would love to "miss" it because i have a buddy in Charlotte that i could go out with.

Anyone miss a flight intentionally? How would i go about doing this? Could I just say when i get to charlotte that Im sick, and just want sleep and put me on the flight the next morning?

Any suggestions?
Another one, is to get to the gate and tell them you had a stomach issue and was in the bathroom (you know the symptoms..) and you missed your flight. They are usually pretty good about re-accomodating you.. Especially if you are feeling ill... Another option.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by uva185
So I RAN down to the gate and the door was closed but I saw the plane sitting there. I told the agent I fell asleep and she called down the jetway and actually had them open the plane back up for me ^ If had missed that flight I would have been stuck in PHX for 7 hours.

Wow! I thought that the closed-door rule was iron-clad.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Me too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Rbnaidu
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:20 pm

I too fell asleep in the DC club and was put on the next flight with no issue.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:31 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
The other option is to call USAirways before your flight leaves and reschedule it. Assuming that is a non-refundable ticket, they will usually charge you a $100 change fee plus any fare difference for the new flight.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Heinrich
I too fell asleep in the DC club and was put on the next flight with no issue.
I think the deal is that you would be put on a next flight on the same day if there is space ... but you will need to pay for it if it is the next day.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 1:23 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
One issue here that hasn't been mentioned is the need to check to make certain that there's availability on flights to DCA the next morning. If you need to be back in DC the next day, a missed flight could get you stuck in CLT until something opens up. With full planes these days, it's something to consider.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by us2
One issue here that hasn't been mentioned is the need to check to make certain that there's availability on flights to DCA the next morning. If you need to be back in DC the next day, a missed flight could get you stuck in CLT until something opens up. With full planes these days, it's something to consider.
www.expertflier.com

with so much flying, $9.99 a month is a steal, I hit it probably 10-15 times a week, maybe more sometimes.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by tommyleo
I was in Baltimore last month, they reopened the door 5 or 10 minutes after closing it to let someone on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.