Misspelled Name!! What should I do?

Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Misspelled Name!! What should I do?

I booked my e- ticket two weeks ago..
However one of the my firstname was misspelled..
My travel agency called usairways, and then she told me "You don't have any problem because they already changed my name..
When I checked my book in web-site, my name is still wrong, I called usairways, they told me Even though your name is misspelled, we already set. You will bring just vaild I.D...

I am really worried about that....
What should I do?

*The flight is domestic flight PHL->SFO

Last edited by Sylivia; Nov 15, 2006 at 8:15 pm
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends how "misspelled" we're talking about here. One or two letters- not a problem. It's possible an entire first name in error would be alright.

I've flown before w/ misspelled names on my ticket- hasn't been an issue.

I have a feeling this has been discussed before.

Also, is this a domestic or international trip. I feel it would be more strict if it was int'l.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:34 pm

I agree. US does weird things with my first name anyway, often combining it with my middle initial and add "MR" to the front or back, like "ALANMR".
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to FT, Sylivia. I am going to move this thread over to the US Forum. Please continue to follow there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If they misspelled it "Sylvia", I can't imagine you will have a problem. If they misspelled it "Gweneth", then you may have some trouble.

My wife has had numerous errors - Kathryn, Catherine, Katie, Katy, etc., all without a problem.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I think what US is telling you and your travel agent is that your name has been changed in the PNR (the official computer record of your reservation), but it is not reflected in what you are able to see online.

I had a similar situation a few months ago. Because of a problem with their online booking system, while I was intending to purchase a ticket for someone else, my profile automatically changed the passenger name to mine, so the ticket was issued in the wrong person's name. I called right away and they changed the name on the reservation for me. However, my online reservation continued to show the incorrect name. But when the person checked in, the boarding pass was correct and there was no problem at all.

You you should be fine, even if it doesn't look correct online.

By the way, welcome to FT!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
I agree. US does weird things with my first name anyway, often combining it with my middle initial and add "MR" to the front or back, like "ALANMR".
I see what you mean but that's not a mistake. If a passenger status (MR, MRS, DR, PROF etc) is mentioned, it is automatically appended to the end of the passengers name.. this is how airline tickets are issued.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sylivia
My travel agency called usairways, and then she told me "You don't have any problem because they already changed my name..
When I checked my book in web-site, my name is still wrong, I called usairways, they told me Even though your name is misspelled, we already set. You will bring just vaild I.D...

What should I do?
Is it a domestic flight? If they give you hassle, go find another security checkpoint and tell them you dont have your ID with you. You'll go thru a more intense (as if it would matter with the TSA processes and incompetence) security screening, but you don't actually have to provide a valid ID to fly domestically.

Regards,

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:34 am

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
Originally Posted by Sylivia

What should I do?

*The flight is domestic flight PHL->SFO
I had this happen to my friend I was traveling with a couple of months ago. He has an Indian name and I had to book over the phone because of companion cert so naturally 3 times I spelled his name were not enough for the rep to get it right. When the confirmation came I called back and a rep said they made a note in the system and changed it there. When we checked in, the ticket agent saw the note and really wasn't that concerned anyway. The actual ticket she printed still showed the mispelled name, but the securtiy screener didn't care either. I can't imagine you'll have any problems at all.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Loardy, I'd just re-issue the ticket if you came to my counter.

While we can make the change in Sabre, you should also ask if it has been changed on your E-TICKET!!!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by warbo
I see what you mean but that's not a mistake. If a passenger status (MR, MRS, DR, PROF etc) is mentioned, it is automatically appended to the end of the passengers name.. this is how airline tickets are issued.
Warbo,
Alan is talking about his middle initial appended to his first name. I have the same due to two of us with the same name and same middle initial flying on the same flight and they upgraded both of us. Long story that was even funny at the time, but good outcome.

So in SHARES, my first name is KevinC.

BTW, I made Gold Wed via miles. Not bad considering I am Plat EXP on AA.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
I have something weird going on with my ticket.

Domestic itin, originally booked via usairways.de and confirmed as well as ticketed correctly, the confirmation email shows the right name. For example, "Peter Parker".

Looked up the itin on usairways.com today, and suddenly the name reads

Betermr Parker.

Called in, and was told that they can't see the error. They say the first name shows correct on their systems.

So: They can't do anything about it. I even checked in different browsers and with cleared cache. Problem persists.

I think now I will have to wait and see what fun will happen at the airport.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: None
If it still shows up wrong when you do OLCI I'd call again - if avoidable you don't want to show up at the airport and have to spend time getting it straightened out.

Since you're based in Europe, is there a chance that it could be a simple interpretation problem? My only experience with European keyboards is in France and there are (were at the time) differences between French and U.S. keyboards.

Jim
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: WFBF
I have a "junior" in my full legal name.

I have flown with all sorts of manglings of that + other parts of my name on my boarding passes. TSA never cared, but some airlines' check-in kiosks choke on it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
Thanks for your suggestions!

It turned out to be still weird, but not a problem:

The mobile checkin had my name wrong as well, and so I wasn't able to complete the process. Got to the airport, and suddenly the checkin terminal had the name right again.

In the end even the Precheck clearance came through as if nothing ever happened, which tells me that the "core system" of US must have had my name right all along.

So, all this is still very weird, but I am about to board and all things turned out well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.