Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DM mangled names (Middle Initials)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by ralfp
More fun stuff: the old US system could deal with first names that had a space in the first names:
Is this because of all of the Betty Jo Martha Sue's and Billy Joe Jim Bob's that came from the deep south?? (Just kidding, love y'all!!)
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I think this is related to BofA

My middle initial, which I've never used with either HP or US, suddenly appeared on my account (as an addition to my first name, not in the middle initial space) last month, at the same time the BofA Visa miles from the past 2 or 3 months finally got rolled into my account.

BofA has my middle initial on my Visa and bank accounts. That's the only way I can think of that US could have gotten it.

Having had my identity stolen twice, I've learned that using your middle initial or name other than when absolutely necessary puts you at a much higher risk of identity theft, so I make a point not to use it. When on the phone with a CP agent a few days ago, I asked her to remove it, which she did.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
My middle initial, which I've never used with either HP or US, suddenly appeared on my account (as an addition to my first name, not in the middle initial space) last month, at the same time the BofA Visa miles from the past 2 or 3 months finally got rolled into my account.

BofA has my middle initial on my Visa and bank accounts. That's the only way I can think of that US could have gotten it.

Having had my identity stolen twice, I've learned that using your middle initial or name other than when absolutely necessary puts you at a much higher risk of identity theft, so I make a point not to use it. When on the phone with a CP agent a few days ago, I asked her to remove it, which she did.
I think the same thing happened to me, because mine was not there and then I got both the US MC and VISA and then I had an initial. Thanks for the advice about removing it.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:36 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
Is this because of all of the Betty Jo Martha Sue's and Billy Joe Jim Bob's that came from the deep south?? (Just kidding, love y'all!!)
Shore 'nuff!
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by ralfp
Yeah, but if the PNR name doesn't match the DM file, you don't get credit, right? If John Smith has Jack Johnson's DM # in his PNR, Jack doesn't get miles.

If XXXX ZZZZZZ uses XXXXQ ZZZZZZ's DM#, is the mileage awarded (how flexible is the matching algorithm)?

Same here. I guess US's solution used to be ignoring the issue. Seems better than messing up names.

I'm trying to think of funny ways this could mess up: Jack Y. ___ to Jacky ___ (I know, spelling).
My corp travel agent often books me with my nickname (just a shortened version of my first name) instead of my full first name, and I have no problems either with security or credit.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Travels2mch
The person I was thinking of is about as far from that as can be...

The new DM name for Billy Joe Jim Bob would be BILLYJ. Are they sending a message to these folk?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:12 pm

Update

I e-mailed CP and SHOCK, they replied within 24 hours and removed my middle initial for me! (The shock was that I received an e-mail within 24 hours from a real CP Center person with a first and last name!) ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.