FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New Airside Transfer Buses at DCA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/403997-new-airside-transfer-buses-dca.html)

wahooflyer Feb 24, 2005 9:51 am

New Airside Transfer Buses at DCA

I flew into DCA from PIT this morning on an E170. We arrived at gate 23, on the center pier (same concourse as United and American). There were a few people on board with connecting flights, most of which left from the next concourse. The problem with DCA is that the concourses are not connected in the "sterile" area, so in the past, a connection from gate 23 to gate 36 required passengers to exit the center pier, walk over to the US Airways pier, wait in line and reclear security.

Upon arrival today, I was pleased to see that the gate agents were directing connecting pax onto the tarmac to board a bus over to the main US Airways concourse, eliminating the need to reclear security at DCA. I'd guess that US Airways Club members can also use the bus if they want to spend some time in the Club before heading over to their flight on the center pier.

Most of the new E170 flights seem to be arriving and leaving from the center pier, which makes the airside transfer bus especially welcome.

Spiff Feb 24, 2005 10:19 am

That's very good.

I avoid DCA for the lack of airside transfers, plus the 30 min no-pee rule and the propensity of government theft of premium seats.

One down, two to go! ;)

monitor Feb 24, 2005 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
That's very good.

I avoid DCA for the lack of airside transfers, plus the 30 min no-pee rule and the propensity of government theft of premium seats.

One down, two to go! ;)

But this will be no help at all for you, since like me your routing is probably almost always to or from SDF where nobody is about to use a 170 for the run to DCA. The CRJ and ERJ experience there will be unchanged.
I've already tried Flyi SDF-IAD and this alternative is all that we have nonstop to Northern Virginia. Not any better or worse than US, but no miles.

sfeinberg Feb 25, 2005 10:18 am

The airside transfer bus only runs at peak times. I wouldn't bank on it...

In addition, the way that US is running this is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. When the bus is running, customers are being asked to ascend/descend the metal stairs located on the side of the jetway. These stairs are metal grates which are poorly anchored and when several people are on them, shake from side to side. Furthermore, there is no safe way to move baggage up and down between the ramp and the bus when passengers are also there. I am counting down the days until some old lady slips on them and US gets sued. They really need to change this practice..these aren't meant to be used by passengers.

infoguy Feb 25, 2005 2:30 pm

The shuttle is scheduled to run from 0730 to 1900. It leaves from gates 35B and 25.

wahooflyer Feb 25, 2005 5:38 pm

Does the bus run on request or a fixed schedule?

US AIRWAYS FAN Feb 26, 2005 6:26 am

sfeinberg,

I am glad you pointed this out about the metal stairs. I am going to call CA on Monday and let them know. US states that safety is their number 1 priority. I am sure once Mrs. Thompson gets word of this, she will have that fixed immediately. The last thing US needs right now is someone suing them.

T

Originally Posted by sfeinberg
The airside transfer bus only runs at peak times. I wouldn't bank on it...

In addition, the way that US is running this is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. When the bus is running, customers are being asked to ascend/descend the metal stairs located on the side of the jetway. These stairs are metal grates which are poorly anchored and when several people are on them, shake from side to side. Furthermore, there is no safe way to move baggage up and down between the ramp and the bus when passengers are also there. I am counting down the days until some old lady slips on them and US gets sued. They really need to change this practice..these aren't meant to be used by passengers.

JAXPax Feb 26, 2005 7:32 am

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
sfeinberg,

I am glad you pointed this out about the metal stairs. I am going to call CA on Monday and let them know. US states that safety is their number 1 priority. I am sure once Mrs. Thompson gets word of this, she will have that fixed immediately. The last thing US needs right now is someone suing them.

T

Using these stairs isn't unheard of.... I've boarded Skyway flights a couple of times at DCA this way. American used to board MD-80s this way at JAX when one of their jetways was broken (which was for about a year)... down the jetway stairs, then up the tail cone stairs on the plane, which kinda sucked as First Class was the last to get off the plane in Jacksonville.

They are a little shakey, but I think only as bad as putting stairs up to the end of a jetway.

sfeinberg Feb 26, 2005 8:47 am

Originally Posted by JAXPax
Using these stairs isn't unheard of.... I've boarded Skyway flights a couple of times at DCA this way. American used to board MD-80s this way at JAX when one of their jetways was broken (which was for about a year)... down the jetway stairs, then up the tail cone stairs on the plane, which kinda sucked as First Class was the last to get off the plane in Jacksonville.

They are a little shakey, but I think only as bad as putting stairs up to the end of a jetway.

I'm not speaking of the stairs they use in many stations to board commuter flights(ie GSO/RDU). I'm talking about something that is not designed for passenger use.

JAXPax Feb 26, 2005 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sfeinberg
I'm not speaking of the stairs they use in many stations to board commuter flights(ie GSO/RDU). I'm talking about something that is not designed for passenger use.

I'm talking about the metal stairs attached to the side of the jetway, where one goes down the jetway and out the door opposite where a plane would normally be parked.

Dont call me Shirley Feb 26, 2005 9:55 am

Originally Posted by JAXPax
I'm talking about the metal stairs attached to the side of the jetway, where one goes down the jetway and out the door opposite where a plane would normally be parked.

I guess it's one thing to use the jetway stairs once in great while when the jetway breaks, another thing to use them on a regular basis. Those jetway steps do shake a bit, especially when more than one person is one them.

GalleyWench Feb 26, 2005 10:14 am

They could let people slide down the baggage chutes on the side of the stairs! :D Please don't flame me, I'm just kidding.
I'm glad to see they are going to run the buses on a regular schedule. I know they have utilized them in the past with a lot of connections between the terminals, what a big help when those security lines are a couple of miles long.
I wonder if they could take them down by the shuttle gates where there is a nice set of stairs that they use when the shuttle deplanes from the back door. Those steps will hold anybody and they don't shake!

US AIRWAYS FAN Feb 26, 2005 2:36 pm

GalleyWench,

That is exactly what I am going to suggest when I call CA on Monday. Hopefully I won't be on hold too long. It is expensive here to call from Spain.

GalleyWench Feb 26, 2005 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
GalleyWench,

That is exactly what I am going to suggest when I call CA on Monday. Hopefully I won't be on hold too long. It is expensive here to call from Spain.

Which one are you going to suggest, sliding down the baggage chute or using the shuttle stairs? lol

BumpMe! Feb 27, 2005 5:04 pm

It's about #$&@ time!