AA/LUS 408 PHX-PDX 12 Oct 2015: Passenger Ejected, FA Booed by Passengers
Print Wikipost

Speculation: US 408 FA removes pax at PHX, people boo 12 Oct 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DiscHandler
Tiana Fough says she was busy talking while boarding the flight bound for Portland and finding her seat.
Well, there's a reason why some shops have a sign that says:

" you must NOT be talking on the phone while making an order "

With heavy handed interaction and overreaching FAs, I still tend to side with her.

After all, " we're here for your safety "
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
So as you can see, there are two completely different accounts so far to this event. How can you make a determination on fault based on whats currently been presented?
I'm not making a determination of fault. I'm saying that I find the passengers' determination of fault to be credible. As I explained earlier, it would be almost impossible for a passenger to say or do something that would justify being removed from the plane without other passengers noticing.

So if we assume the following (1) she was on the phone, (2) she didn't hear the attendant multiple times ask her to move, (3) she then responded in a snarky fashion when he became "louder", would that justify a removal? I don't know.
To me, not at all. Neither being on your phone nor using snark is a valid reason to remove someone from the plane. Failure to follow crewmember instructions has to be willful in order for it to merit a penalty. With regards to responding "in a snarky fashion", that is a completely subjective judgment and anyone can make the argument that a comment was snarky.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cbn42
I'm not making a determination of fault. I'm saying that I find the passengers' determination of fault to be credible. As I explained earlier, it would be almost impossible for a passenger to say or do something that would justify being removed from the plane without other passengers noticing.

To me, not at all. Neither being on your phone nor using snark is a valid reason to remove someone from the plane. Failure to follow crewmember instructions has to be willful in order for it to merit a penalty. With regards to responding "in a snarky fashion", that is a completely subjective judgment and anyone can make the argument that a comment was snarky.
totally disagree, as I noted earlier, many passengers tend to be engaged in their games and phone conversations when they're seated and pretty oblivious (as evidenced by this woman).

As for willful intent, is that the how the regulations are written or is this merely a statement of your feelings on the matter?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:03 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

As for willful intent, is that the how the regulations are written or is this merely a statement of your feelings on the matter?
The regulations state that it is illegal to "interfere" with a crewmember's duties. The willful intent is my opinion. There are many reasons a passenger might fail to follow crewmember instructions, such as having headphones on, not understanding the language, or just being too tired to think. To me, none of them justify removal from the aircraft. Only if the passenger understands the instruction and fails to comply should a penalty be imposed.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
totally disagree, as I noted earlier, many passengers tend to be engaged in their games and phone conversations when they're seated and pretty oblivious (as evidenced by this woman).
+1 I think it's entirely plausible that a rude interaction could go by unnoticed by the other passengers nearby - everybody else is focused on other things during the boarding process.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Welp, after gathering all the info I can, I can only conclude that I really have no clue what actually transpired, who was to blame, or who deserved (or didn't deserve) what.

What I do know, after gathering all the info I can, is that this story just furthers my annoyance with people talking away on their cell phones at times when they need to focus.

Drives me batty.

Gotta get a kick out of ubiquitous cameras and social media as Drama Delivery Devices. Drug-like really. I'm not above relishing the next hit as much as I hate to admit that.

Anyway, that's all I've got.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:30 am

I very recently witnessed similar behavior on a US Airways flight. What might actually help would be for AA to publish the criteria under which an flight attendant is permitted to threaten to remove a passenger, or to actually remove a passenger. Offering a passenger a $250 voucher for having her entire travel plans disrupted is not adequate, nor is it appropriate to create a climate in which other passengers don't know the rules or are simply subject to intimidation if a flight attendant doesn't like them. Passengers pay good money for their seats and their time is as important as anyone's. The criteria under which a flight attendant is empowered to confiscate a customer's time and potentially money should be public, and should consist of more than the vague "obey all crew member instructions." Wouldn't everyone be safer if this were the case? I imagine that personnel regulations prevent the airline from announcing whether disciplinary action is taken against the flight attendant but they need to do more than just offer a voucher. Clear rules need to be published that both the public and flight attendants can count on. I thought that the extreme sanction of removing someone from a flight was intended to address serious threats to the operation or safety of a flight, not the making of snarky comments or talking on one's cell phone. Stress in both passengers and flight attendants may be an inevitable result of policy decisions being made by several airlines that have made flying more difficult and less pleasant. Flight attendants have an important role in protecting safety and need authority to do that, but with power comes responsibility. Clarity as to the rules would protect both sides. Even if the more flight-attendant-friendly version of this story is accurate, it still seems capricious and a considerable overreaction. Flight attendants may be feeling powerless over developments in their industry and be taking out their frustrations on people with even less power, the customers - but that's an explanation, not an excuse. Clear, transparent rules are needed.

Last edited by lrgphd; Oct 15, 2015 at 3:46 am
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
from the washington post

She believes she was arbitrarily chosen to get off the flight to make room for a man who took her seat almost immediately after she was asked to leave.

“It’s a little coincidental that I’m being attacked verbally for no reason, and then all of a sudden another guy is getting my seat,” she said.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Woman removed from AA flight

Does anyone have some insight into this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-off-a-flight/

I'm guessing she bought a Priceline type ticket and when a full fare passenger showed up an IDB was the result.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
See:
Speculation: US 408 FA removes pax at PHX, people boo 12 Oct 2015
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm a little surprised that all those passengers saying they'd never fly AA again couldn't tell the difference between a US Airways cabin crew and an AA one.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The plot thickens . . .

Interesting quote from the Washington Post article:

American Airlines wrote in an e-mail statement to The Washington Post early Thursday that the incident has been taken care of.

“We are in contact with the passenger and have apologized,” the statement reads. “We have addressed the issue with our team members to ensure we provide a consistent, quality travel experience for our customers in the future.”
Sounds like an out-of-control flight attendant. This passenger encountered a male "Helen" in Phoenix.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
- Rebooking the pax on the next flight is an indicator that AA couldn't determine bad behavior by the pax

- As I mentioned upstream, good service professionals recognize they are likely to encounter "bad behavior" ongoing and know how to diffuse it or let it run by without escalating a situation.
I'd say you nailed it. Not only did AA rebook, but they apologized and put the blame on the "team members" who screwed up.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:22 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I'm a little surprised that all those passengers saying they'd never fly AA again couldn't tell the difference between a US Airways cabin crew and an AA one.
Considering how much larger AA is than US, it is possible that many/most purchased tickets on AA.com. And they may be aware that US is going away for good (well in this case ... ) VERY soon.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Considering how much larger AA is than US, it is possible that many/most purchased tickets on AA.com. And they may be aware that US is going away for good (well in this case ... ) VERY soon.
Sure, but the crews will remain.

Oh, just me that avoids US flights like the plague? Ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.