Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agents enforcing carry-on rules at CLT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
Gate Agents enforcing carry-on rules at CLT

I was connecting through Charlotte last night on my way to DCA. The gate attendant boarded first class and then called for elite boarding. The man in front of me was asked to place his carry-on in that contraption used to test the acceptable size of a carry-on. I could see that he would easily make it so I did not understand why she made him go through this exercise. She then made me do the same and my bag bowed out of bit. She told me I would have to check it. I asked her if I could take some things out and place them in my brief case. She said I could. I took out an empty water bottle (which I should have tossed at that point) and a small shaving bag and placed them in my briefcase. Sure enough my bag fit and I was allowed to carry it on board. As the plane was boarding, I observed other luggage clearly larger than mine and wondered if I was part of some new random checking.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by pkr529
I was connecting through Charlotte last night on my way to DCA. The gate attendant boarded first class and then called for elite boarding. The man in front of me was asked to place his carry-on in that contraption used to test the acceptable size of a carry-on. I could see that he would easily make it so I did not understand why she made him go through this exercise. She then made me do the same and my bag bowed out of bit. She told me I would have to check it. I asked her if I could take some things out and place them in my brief case. She said I could. I took out an empty water bottle (which I should have tossed at that point) and a small shaving bag and placed them in my briefcase. Sure enough my bag fit and I was allowed to carry it on board. As the plane was boarding, I observed other luggage clearly larger than mine and wondered if I was part of some new random checking.
There is a published size for carry-ons (up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in)). Many of us sometimes bring a bag that is slightly too large and sometimes we get away with it, sometimes not. This is not anything new. It's largely up to the GA's discretion. US/AA are usually much less likely to check than European carriers.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by wetrat0
There is a published size for carry-ons (up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in)). Many of us sometimes bring a bag that is slightly too large and sometimes we get away with it, sometimes not. This is not anything new. It's largely up to the GA's discretion. US/AA are usually much less likely to check than European carriers.
And going off this comment, while this page makes it seem like 22x14x9 is a strict requirement, the CoC merely uses those numbers as reference:
Carry-on baggage must not exceed 45 overall dimensional inches/115 centimeters (for example, 9” x 14” x
22”/23cm x 36cm x 56cm). All carry-on items (including small personal items and those exempt from the baggage
count) must fit safely in approved carry-on locations:
• Valet Closet - 12.5L x 23W x 10.5H inches
• Overhead Stowage - 49L x 16W x 10H inches
• Underseat Stowage - 17L x 16W x 8H inches
But, good luck fighting one that doesn't fit within the sizer but within the dimensions of 45 overall with a gate agent during boarding. Chalk me up in the camp for getting carry-ons tagged by a check-in agent as approved for size. Gives you more time to argue a point if needed, and boarding can (hopefully) flow faster
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Carry-on Problem in Charlotte

US policy used to be 45 inches overall. Looks like when they adopted AA policy of 22x14x9 they did not update COC.

Wish they would go back to the more flexible sizing since the overhead bins vary in size.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
So what exactly was the "problem" that is mentioned by the OP in the subject line of the thread. It sounds like the GA was correctly enforcing size limits.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:14 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I was boarding in F yesterday and a person in front of me had her bag not fit in the sizer ( the carry handle track stopped it from fitting). The GA stated that the FAA requires them to check any bag that does not fit int he sizer.

She was a very frequent flyer and said she knew the bag fit in the overhead bins. She apparently had a short time from landing to get to a business interview however they refused to let her carry on the bag.

Turns out there was plenty of room for the bag, but it stayed at the gate.

The first class FA went to the GA and asked if he could just get a pair of shoes from the front pocket (on request from the passenger), and the GA refused to allow him to get the shoes for her.

The CLT gate agent was definitely not going to customer service..... and making "stuff" up about FAA requirements...............
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by Segments
US policy used to be 45 inches overall. Looks like when they adopted AA policy of 22x14x9 they did not update COC.

Wish they would go back to the more flexible sizing since the overhead bins vary in size.
I wonder what grounds for complaint you would have if you bought US tickets on the US site 11 months ago since CoC at time of purchase applies.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:35 am

I have seen GA and FA (sitting in the front of the plane so I had a front row seat for the interaction) getting picky with carry-ons over the last couple of months. This was at PHL and CLT.

The GA at Cancun were done right brutal in November. There were fireworks when they were forcing people to check bags.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What problem? If carriers actually enforced carry-on rules, the rest of the boarding process would be faster, more civilized and fair.

It doesn't matter whether the bag can be jack-hammered into the OH. All that matters is that the bad does not exceed the published dimensions as they exist on the date of service (carry-on, unlike checked luggage, is not subject to the DOT post-purchase prohibition so long as the carrier doesn't charge to check the bag).

The reason for this is that a bag may fit but still take up more than its "fair share" of the OH space.

Why was OP pulled out of line and not the next guy? Who knows. Maybe the agent pulled out the bags which looked too large and then every 7th passenger or whatever.

In theory, everybody who can afford an air ticket, can afford a tape measure. Everybody who can afford a tape measure can avoid silliness at the gate.

Problem?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
From a practical standpoint, I bet an FAA inspector was spotted at the airport. That's what usually causes airlines to be picky about carry-on luggage at any given time.

What the general public doesn't realize is that an agent can be personally fined (not just the airline, but the actual agent) for disregarding FAA rules. Oh yes, and the airline does not necessarily pay the fine. The agent may well have to pay it out of their own pocket.

When I worked for AA back in the day, this did occasionally happen. For the next few days, every agent at DFW was using the sizers.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:34 am

Gate Agents enforcing carry-on rultes at CLT

The biggest problem with carryons is the number that people try to board with. It's one carryon and one personal item. Not 2 roller boards, not a roller board and 2 personal items, not 3 personal items. And the personal items are a little out of hand as well. It's supposed to be a purse, laptop bag, small backpack. What we see coming on will barely fit under the seat if at all. That becomes a problem when the overheads are completely full and neither one if your bags will fit under the seat. FF as well as once a year travelers feign ignorance of the rules. "But I always carry 3 bags" "But I'm in f/c" "I'll consolidate them when I get to my seat" "I'm carrying my friends/kids/spouses/nannies/neighbors bags for them, they'll be boarding later"
Sorry guys, I am the bag police when it comes to #. But I am also a huge advocate of saving space and monitoring f/c and Y bulkhead overheads so you will get your allotted space if you're sitting there on my flights.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by formeraa
From a practical standpoint, I bet an FAA inspector was spotted at the airport. That's what usually causes airlines to be picky about carry-on luggage at any given time.

What the general public doesn't realize is that an agent can be personally fined (not just the airline, but the actual agent) for disregarding FAA rules. Oh yes, and the airline does not necessarily pay the fine. The agent may well have to pay it out of their own pocket.

When I worked for AA back in the day, this did occasionally happen. For the next few days, every agent at DFW was using the sizers.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I though carry-on sizes were determined by the airlines, not the FAA. Granted, I know all airlines have the same sizes, but I thought it was within their discretion to adjust them. If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Maybe I'm wrong, but I though carry-on sizes were determined by the airlines, not the FAA. Granted, I know all airlines have the same sizes, but I thought it was within their discretion to adjust them. If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Even if they are set by the airlines not the FAA, once they become part of the airline's operating manual then the FAA expects them to be enforced.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
The CLT gate agent was definitely not going to customer service..... and making "stuff" up about FAA requirements...............
FAA requires airlines to enforce the rules that they publish and file with the FAA. They don't have the freedom to pick and choose which policies that want to enforce.

I don't know if they still do, but US used to publish the FAR reference on their in-airport signs stating that it was an FAA requirement.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you want to have a legal argument with a GA at boarding, you may point out that it is not an FAA rule, merely an FAA rule that the carrier have a policy, file it with FAA and then enforce it and be penalized for non-enforcement if caught not enforcing.

If you are trying to board a plane and get the aircraft out on time, it's an FAA requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.